Skip to content
Maintankadin

SoR vs SoV

BubbaBill
Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:54 am

SoR vs SoV

I attempted to post this in the following http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=4960 thread but it wouldn't allow me to for some reason when I went to respond it would always kick me back to the main forum.

Anyway the discussions on SoV vs SoR was lengthy and informative and the big drawback to people with SoV was the stack falling off.

I run with a Ret Pally. Does Crusader Strike refresh the SoV stack. If so I think I could do SIGNIFICANT more TPS stacking SoV then switching to SoR for swinging.

Of course bosses only but I'm thinking something like this:

1 Stack full 5 SoV
2 Judge
3 SoR
4 Wait for CD on Judge
5 SoV
6 Judge
GOTO 3

This of course assumes a Ret pally maintaining your Seal through CS.
Anybody see why this wouldn't work and/or why it wouldn't maximize your TPS?

...oh yeah long time lurker first post. This site has been awsome helping me to figure stuff out. Thanks for all the help.
QuantumDelta
Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:56 am
It doesn't.
_________________
Requinix
Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am
Hmm

CS refreshes SoV for you?

If true, it should be rather simple to figure out, 5x SoV Judge vs SoR judge + All SoR procs, which is higher?


Edit:

Yea I didn't think it did.

Judgement of Vengence is a burst dmg just like SoR, the Dot is the product of your autoattack proc, just like SoR, thus CS doesn't refresh it.
_________________


QuantumDelta
Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:11 pm
Quite.

Though most people underestimate SoV since Holy Vengeance ticks in most situations for more damage over a period of time (so long as stacks are maintained) than a typical mid-T6 prot pally will put out with SoR anyway.
And it does extra damage on refresh.
The catch is maintaining the stacks.
Advanced users seal weave until JoR = JoV where the reliability of SoR tends to equate for most people who don't have the expertise/hit to SoV.
At which point it becomes less significant though naturally your seal-based-TPS is nearly doubled if you seal weave well.
It is worth it to experiment with SoV but not blindly subscribe to either seal.
_________________
moduspwnens
Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:14 pm
GIVE SEAL OF VENGEANCE TO BELVES KTHX
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
BubbaBill
Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:24 pm
Normally I run SoV on bosses and SoR on trash. Threat isn't really an issue with me Most of my DPS is light and early Kara gear 400-600DPS range, except 1 that runs around 750. I'm in mostly badge gear so have decent SD 350ish unbuffed.(S2 Gavel tonight should boost that way up).

I haven't had to many problems with SoV stacks falling off on the bosses I choose to use it with. Once in a while but not often. I had mostly been hoping CS would be able to maintain it. The way things are worded it sounds like it should but I guess not.

I might play with Seal weaving when I build up a big threat lead but as yet have not really given it a try. I usually have enogh going on with my regular rotation and find mana at a premium most times as I hate to downrank Cons and HS. And I slightly outgear Kara bosses.
QuantumDelta
Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:30 pm
More or less exactly right, except that there's no need to hold back your Judgement timer waiting for a refresh just re-app SoV after the JoV if it didn't reapply on it's one budgeted pre-judgement swing.
_________________
inthedrops
Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:31 pm
Get five stacks of SoV up there, switch to righteous for as long as you're comfortable doing (this way the vengeance ticks are ticking while your melee is adding additional righteous procs) and you can also consider judging if you want to use that cooldown. But you need to get SoV back up and procced one more time before those stacks fall off.

That's weaving.
_________________
Requinix
Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:36 pm
That makes since, so since SoV last 15 seconds ideally hit capped, you only have to swing with SoV every 2 cycles, but if you are afraid of it falling off:

Judge SoV
Cast SoV
auto attack until it refreshes
cast SoR
Judgement cooldown
Cast SoV
Repeat

Sounds simple enough, how much TPS can I expect to gain over straight SoV swinging?
_________________


QuantumDelta
Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:59 pm
Well I tend to use the rotation you first posted:

JoR
SoV to 5
->

SoR
SoV
JoV
SoR
SoV
JoV
SoR
SoV
JoV

When you skip the SoR swing(s) for the extra refreshes it keeps the same basic pattern afterwards as displayed above.

If you exclusively used SoV beforehand you wont see as much gain as you would if you exclusively used SoR beforehand but it's closer to but it'll still be completely noticeable - I peak with WF+Reck/etc at 2.1k sustained TPS.
Doesn't get often for me to do it tho :<
_________________
Requinix
Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:07 pm
WF>WoA for single target TPS?
_________________


QuantumDelta
Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:10 pm
It does get that way with weaving.
Wiz Oil+WoA don't compare since it guarantees considerable SoV uptime.
_________________