Skip to content
Maintankadin

Thinking of switching back to Libram Of Repentance

Sanctify
Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:38 am

Thinking of switching back to Libram Of Repentance

Assuming I do some minor re-gemming of my equipment I will be block capped post-DR according to both of the spreadsheets available in the advanced training forum if I replace Libram of Obstruction with Libram of Repentance and bless myself with BoK.

Reference:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=19063
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=18323

My gut feel is that the loss of 450 ish block (after redoubt) and associated mitigation / TPS is worth giving up to ensure I'm un-hittable.

The raid group I run with only seldom has a DK or Druid so can't count on always getting Horn of Winter + MotW.

Anyone have a different opinion?
_________________
Levantine
Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:41 am
Ehhhhh, I wouldn't do it if I were a Paladin, but each to their own.
_________________
Levantine: Frost Tank
Anzen: Restogoat
Popeadin: Retardin
amh
Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:55 am
Getting block-capped isn´t worth the huge sacrifice of not using LoO.

Edit: Guess I should elaborate why I think that :)
These two librams are a matter of preference. In my experience, it isn´t that one random non-blocked hit that kills you, it´s the lack of heals on the preceding 4 hits that took you down there. Taking 1k more damage from a hit isn´t exactly what I´d call a major burst.


Assumptions:
You´ve specced into Redoubt
You´ve specced into Shield of the Templar
You are able to maintain a 969 rotation
Your block-value is around 1000
Your pure avoidance is around 50%
Your block-chance with HS up is around 50%
You´re 2,4% off block-capped

Numbers:
LoO gives you 457 block-value when active.
LoO has a five second duration, your judgement has a 9 second cooldown
LoO has a 55% uptime
457 BV * 0,55 = 251 BV on average

Don´t ask:
1000 / 251 = 3,98
Every fourth non-avoided hit would have to be non-blocked with the assumed BV for repentance to be better mitigation.

This next part might be totally wrong:
50% block-chance / 3,98 = 12,5%
102.4 - 12,5 = 89,9% toward block-cap
Unless you´re below 89,9% toward block-cap, LoO is more mitigation than Repentance. It´s probably better anyway, but these are the numbers I ended up with


(I have a headache by now, but this was kinda fun)


Bonus:
LoO adds 594 (352*1.3*1.3) damage to your ShoR when active
LoO is active on two thirds of your ShoRs*
LoO adds 392 damage to your ShoRs on average



*nabbed from http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40707 , there´s a post with the rotation and tagged active/inactive LoO on ShoR. Looks accurate enough.
_________________
Armory

Discus
Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:02 am
Really? I just swapped my TBC badge libram to the obstruction one and I can't say I've noticed much of an increase in my threat, but I did notice a fall in my blocking.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Majiben
Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:16 am
When I first proposed the idea of using the old badge libram to reach the block cap, it was at a time where the LoO had an incorrect tool tip and I was without beta access for an idea on how our stats and the boss fights would be. It was at the end of TBC and we were still clinging to the idea of 102.4% and our mantras about it's inherit values. Wotlk has come to pass and I can say I would not make such comments at this time. LoO gives us a significantly smaller average hit while he old badge libram does have the potential to make the worst case senario better.

What can you do if you don't use the old badge libram? Well you could use agility food, agility scroll (if you have no shaman or DK), agility elixir and a defense elixir. Additionally, some spec of hunter has a debuff that increases mob miss as do properly specced boomkins.
_________________
mconeone
Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:57 am
Horrible, horrible idea.
_________________
Barathorn
Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:04 am
If it looks like it could work for you then give it a try. While the general consensus is that LoO is better from most angles I would suggest that trying it for yourself is the only way to see if it suits your playstyle or needs.

A lot of tanks on my server laugh at my Icebane Girdle and 74 block rating trinket, funny thing is they are normally the ones advertising in LFG while I get 10-15 whispers everytime I log in from non guild members I have run heroics with.

Try it and see. It doesn't hurt to think differently to everyone else, because getting stuck in a rut and not thinking for yourself is very easy to do with the advice available from this forum.

'Thinking outside the box' is not a bad thing. No matter how trivial it may seem.

Barathorn
_________________
mconeone
Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:58 am
Let's do some math. Let's assume you have 1000 BV.

You get hit 100 times, that extra 2.56% BR prevents 2560 damage.

Now lets look at the extra BV, 457 with redoubt. With 50% avoidance, and 50% uptime you're looking at 25% of your blocked hits taking advantage of the libram. Since most paladins will keep HS up 100% of the time, we're looking at a base 40% block (with 0 BR.) That will block 4570 damage given the uptime %. (100*.4*.25*457)

In order to make the damage reduction match you'd need over 1780 BV, which in order to attain that you'd be losing a ton of avoidance and have a huge block % (which is subject to diminishing returns.)

This is also ignoring the ~50 TPS you'd gain from ShoR (352*1.3*1.3*.5/6)

You also have to look at it from an item budget standpoint. Lots of items have well over 42 BR. No item has 352 BV (176 given the uptime). Taking this libram is the equivalent of grabbing at least 2-3 BV pieces, whereas taking the BR libram is the equivalent of grabbing a single BR piece.
_________________
Fedaykin98
Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:44 pm
I'm still using the old Libram as well - I'm not block capped either way, but I would like to be one of these days. At first I was putting LoO off because I wanted to save badges for more pressing needs, but now I've got 110+ badges sitting around and I'm still using the old one.

The reasoning goes like this:

1) LoO produces mitigation - when the Libram is "up", sure, but I'm not having any mitigation problems at all - not AoE tanking, not boss tanking.

The BC Libram also produces mitigation by producing more blocks, and as Majiben said, makes the worst case scenario better. I tend to look at the LoO as making normal scenarios better.

2) LoO produces threat - generally, I'm not having any problems with threat. I gem and enchant for survivability for this reason.

One of these days I'll make the switch and enjoy watching my SHoR crits jump to unheard of heights, but in the meantime, Libram of Repentance is still useful.

I hear the ilvl thing, but I'm a STA fiend, not a BV stacker, so the ilvl argument doesn't really move me.
_________________
Dorvan
Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:49 pm
Well if LoR isn't the difference between block capped and not, then it's not making your worse case any better. In that case, LoO is better for both threat and mitigation, so I *really* can't see any argument for LoR.
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix