Please keep this thread on-topic.
It's an advanced training FAQ for how to be an end-game MT, and get the most out of this site.
This thread is going to be an "Advance mode" version of my Basic Training FAQ.
Philosophy of the FAQ AKA: Knaughty is biased
This guide is for experienced tanks. If you're a new tank, a re-roll, re-spec or whatever, go read my Basic Training FAQ, and the things that it links to. There will be stuff in here that talks about nuanced examples of edge cases, boss-specific mechanics and debatable talent choices. If you're not already a pretty good tank, it may just be confusing.
This guide will NOT assume you're a Maintankadin Forum Veteran. Something that has come up pretty clearly in a few recent cases is that there is a large base of "assumed knowledge" that the forum trolls here assume Everyone Knows. Some of us (who? me?) are occasionally somewhat rude about pointing that out. A better solution is to have a decent Advanced Mode FAQ.
This guide will probably end up biased. But I will try to avoid it. I'm a progression oriented MT boss-whore in a small, focussed hard-core guild on a low pop server. While I am putting on my "nice person" hat, I'm still a grumpy opinionated curmudgeon underneath.
It won't cover I can tank that ret-spec. Current (3.0) content is easy. Even Sarth+3 is easier than most of 2.4 Sunwell (yes, even the 10-man version). Yes, this means you could spec PvP ret and tank most of 25-man (prob all of it with enough gear/healers). Or other silliness (2-h tanking, SoB tanking, etc). But the FAQ will largely be focussed on progression tanking. This means that skipping mitigation talents to pick up DPS talents will basically be wrong by definition. That said, I will cover why you want the mitigation talents, give some detailed info about them and potential trade-offs, etc.
This FAQ will gratuitously steal from content that is already here. One of the main points is to get new people up to speed quickly. Thus things like, one-post summary of Psiven's TPS thread.
Topics
What I want to cover:
969 rotation. Psiven did a monumental amount of work on the theory-craft behind 969. Even I can't be arsed to look it all up and read every post in the TPS thread. We need a write-up of what 969 is, why you use it, when you don't, and when/how you weave in other abilities (Exorcism, AS, etc, etc).
Glyphs Some detailed analysis of the 4-5 viable tanking glyphs.
Expertise and Hit Where the breakpoints are and how much value these provide (TL;DR: not much)
Gearing Some actual detail on how to gear for various encounters, and general advice on priorities.
How not to go OOM Rework of my "Benediction Sucks" thread hat is slightly less confrontational.
Talents!! There are a pile of debatable talent choices. Starter tanks should just spec 0/58/6+7 (see basic training FAQ). But there are a whole pile of "edge-case" talents I'll cover the pros & cons of.
• Reckoning
• Kings
• Divine Guardian
• Benediction
• Conviction vs SotP.
Provisos
3.0.8 and beyond only I'm not going to cover optimising for ShoR x 2 or deal with missing MassiveStam enchants for weapon/wrist.
Generic gearing I'm not going to tell you how to build a threat set. I will tell you want stats to stack and the relative value of various stats. I'm not going to tell you how to build a block/EH/avoidance set either. It isn't super complex....
No silliness This won't cover ret or holy "tanking" specs for doing silly shit like soloing old content. There's plenty of threads on how to solo Garr already.
Ratings are Fungible
You gear is a collection of many parts, and the sum of those parts needs meet particular breakpoints to be able to easily tank particular things.
This means that sometimes you're better off picking things on the basis of itemisation points. It comes up most frequently with Enchants which aren't balanced. Take the shield slot: you can get +20 defence rating, which is worth 20 item points. Or 18 stamina, which is only worth 12 item points. Even though we really like stamina as tanks, the defence enchant is the better one. It also means that we can swap +defence gems out for +stamina, which gets you a lot more stamina in those gems slots. Same for chest - 22 defence vs 275 health? That's only 22 stam, less than one rare stam gem, where the enchant is substantially more than the equivalent defence gem.
I'm also not very interested in what item is "Best in Slot", because you don't tank 1/17 of a boss with one item. Your gear is a SET - and your other 16 items can and will alter which item provides the best balance to your entire gear-set. You also don't get to go to a vendor at the end of Naxx-25 and say "Can I have the three specific items I was after, that's my share of the loot". You get what drops.
It's also worth remembering you're gearing a guild not your toon.
Please keep this thread on-topic.
It's an advanced training FAQ for how to be an end-game MT, and get the most out of this site.
Knaughty
Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:53 pm
