Skip to content
Maintankadin

Popular Tankadin Specs

Gestalt
Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:31 am
Post 2.3, a serious suggestion and 2 silly ones.

My current "default" spec:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZV0tIx0dMgqtVbx0h
Highlights:
-The Standards. If it reliably increases survivability, it's in here. Nuff said.
-Great spell damage reduction. The synnergy of Spell Warding and Pursuit of Justice results in a 7% overall reduction (4% reduction, 3% avoidance) of incoming spell damage.
-Mobility. Paladin tanks *were* the least mobile of the tank classes, lacking a charge. This was offset with ranged threat and taunt abilities. PoJ lets us have the best of both worlds: 15% run speed boost (independant of gem/enchants) is almost an "always on" intercept. It takes a little adjustment, but the positional control afforded by this talent is nothing to sneeze at.
-No Reckoning. I miss it when I'm soloing or overmitigating. On that big, bad, slow-swinging boss, though, I do NOT miss the occasional Reckoning-inspired Parry bursts. Ahhh, Reckoning.... 10% chance to buff the swing timer of a raid boss.


My "5-man healers are getting bored so I'm spamming JoB" spec:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVothx0zxgoZVfxxh0zR

Highlights:
-Fun. Just that: this spec is fun. It's not a good idea, not good for farming heroics, certain death in a raid, and will probably have people asking you what you were thinking. Note that it's basically married to Seal of Blood. Sorry, Alliance brethren. Pull a point out of PoJ for SoC.
-Simply awful survivability. Many of the mitigation and stam talents get skipped. This spec is a statement of confidence in your gear and/or healers. This may seem like a bad idea right out the gate, but it's a BLAST when you're going to be running a lot of instances that you're horribly overgeared for (i.e. helping guild gear up, etc). You will NOT be mana-starved with this spec and will likely top out the damage meters.
-Excuse to break out all that banked Warrior gear with Strength on it and that slow 1-hander with no +dam. If for some strange reason you've wound up with a soulbound Blinkstrike, now's the time to use it.
-The most ridiculous proc strings you'll see this side of Windfury. If you can, get a shaman to come along and prepare to cackle like a lunatic when you see 8 hits off a single swing.... often. Note that this includes 4 SOB self-damage procs. You ARE confident in your healer, yes?

My sig file paraphrase: "Pshaw, real men tank 5-man instances with a 2h'er and sanctity aura.":
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZxbthx0bg0VxVbxxh0z

Variation on the above spec, dropping all the shield-based talents and picking up a bit more stam/mitigation.
Highlights:
-If you're doing anything but trivial 5-mans with this spec your healer must be amazing. Having an amazing healer is great.
-How often do you get to turn a bluetext joke into a spec?
Captamerica
Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:11 pm

New to Tank-a-din but here's my 2 cents

Hello My name is Captain America ™

Something most new gamers and even old gamers don't realize, Resisted Spells & Procs Generate Aggro. My reasoning for 1 pt in Vindiction. (Ok Stoicism is mainly there for those Dialy PVP Quests). Improved Judgment for faster changing of DoTs. Get 5 Vengence + JoC then switch out the JoC for JoL or JoW depending on the need, plenty of time to go back and refresh Vengence IMO.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/paladin/talents.html?0000000000000000000005325133520021020215510520510000000000000000

I originally had Reckogning but was told unless I was using a weapon that complimented it it could be avoided, up until level 64 I was using Ironfoe (the godly hammer from BRD) http://thottbot.com/i11684

For leveling as Protection Spec Level 60+ I would grab that weapon again (lucky for me I got it on the first try).

Yes my character name is Captamerica
Yes I wear a Blue Shirt (forgo any Guild Talbard)
Yes I always try to have a roundish shield. Avenger's Shield FTW
Yes I would love if WoW used EQ's Armor Dye
My name is Steve Rogers ™ and I am a Human Paladin on Aman'Thal
(Real name hidden to protect my secret Identity... wish I still had my City of Heroes Account then I could make me a WoW Video)

Question how do I make a Macro that Says text message in say channel "Avenger's Strike" then uses Avenger's Shield.
Kelador
Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:08 am
I know it prolly doesn't matter much, but I've found this to be a fun build for me. And for PvP, it has saved my life a number of times. This is the build I have been using to tank with as well since 2.3 and so far, I am loving it. I've had several casters kill themselves casting on me.

My Build on WoWHead:

0/44/17
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIx0dMMqtVbx0G
_________________
Molson
Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:04 pm

17/44/0

The goal here is to be able to heal or tank pre-heroic 5-mans effectively.

17/44/0
_________________


RaidOrg - http://raidorg.com - Helping World of Warcraft Guilds Manage Raids
Ncl8
Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:57 am
8/41/12

What do you guys think about that? is it too spread out?
Ncl8
Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:37 am
Then i'll go with this one: 0/49/12
Valkurie
Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:12 am
Hi I'm new to tanking, especially as a paladin tank. I ran through KZ and it's hard to manage aggro/threat especially for an ungeared Pally compared to T5/S3 geared DPS.

I'm going to throw this on the chopping block? Thanks
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVVZVhxIx0zggqt
_________________
Trueth
Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:11 am
Question for Baelor or anyone out there really.

I have generally gone with 2 points in Guardian's Favor instead of Improved Lay on Hands.

With Guardian's Favor, I typically get 2-3 uses during a boss fight which can be crucial especially when I am OT'ing. Improved Lay on Hands, while awesome during the armor buff, seems like a great way to lose all of you mana, to me.

Thoughts?