Skip to content
Maintankadin

Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Knaughty
Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:22 pm
Loatheb-25 I have no mana issues (I do have Sanc up, obviously). He hits for about 3k, half blocked. Doom hits fairly hard, you can run full 969.

For 10-man:
• Blow wings on the pull, do two cycles of full 969. You now have an unassailable threat lead.
• Then start skipping consecrate.
• If you ever get over half mana, drop consecrate again.

For both versions, Holy Shield is your priority move if you're mana starved.

As a data point: I use an N-52, "sit" is not bound to anything - I cannot sit while tanking. I also never turn my back if I can avoid it, as I can't HotR. I don't go OOM.

You do not need to sit or turn your back in any heroic content or higher. I did hero Nexus last night, drank 3 times: After buffing at the start, after Telestra, and before Kaelstraza to top myself off from 60%. This was while wearing full tanking gear. Did H VH, drank once: after buffing.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty of the Nightfall.
Basic FAQ and Advanced FAQ
Alrinea
Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:27 pm
i used to sit on winterchill and anetheron, never had to since then. Divine Plea is so awesome.
_________________
Dorvan
Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:58 pm
It's always interesting to here what people do, but I'd be interested in seeing some actually theorycrafting on it to bolster various anecdotes. Also, to address a wider variety of questions, like:

When should exorcism be mixed into the rotation? What are the biggest priorities when maximizing for tps? efficiency? etc....

I just dinged 80 and haven't found a good source of several tankadin Patchwerk parses, so I don't have a lot to go on here.
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Knaughty
Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:34 pm
Enchants

Rules of thumb:
• Defence is your best enchant until over 540
• Defence is still your best avoidance enchant after 540.
• 540 is hard to maintain.
• Enchant to improve an item's strengths, not cover weaknesses.

Once you have Defence covered:
• Stam/Armour > everything else.

Helm [item]Arcarnum of the Stalwart Protector[/item] Twice as good as anything else.

Shoulders Best Inscription of the Pinnacle you can get from Hodir rep.

Cloak: Mighty Armor (225 armour) is substantially better than Titanweave once you are past the defence minimum

Chest:Greater Defence is your best enchant. Super Health and Powerful Stats are about even in second place.

Wrist: Fur Lining Stam if you're a LW. Otherwise wait for the 40 stam enchant in 3.0.8

Gloves: [item]Glove Reinforcements[/item] is more EH than [item]Heavy Borean Armor Kit[/item]. Armsman for your threat-set gloves, if you have them.

Waist: Extra socket with a stam gem in it.

Legs: 22 agil / 55 stam leg patch.

Feet: 22 stam. Tuskarr's if you want the speed.

Mainhand: Wait for 3.0.8 and get 75 stam.

Shield: 20 Defence is substantially better than 18 stam.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty of the Nightfall.
Basic FAQ and Advanced FAQ
Majiben
Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:18 pm
I would add that the armor enchant for the cloak becomes better after you have substantially more than the defense minimum otherwise it has valuable wiggle room.

Also would like to have that stam gem on the belt changed to "Stamina or defense gem."

There has been some talk about the value of +22 agility as a cloak enchant. It does give slightly more avoidance than +16 defense and a small amount of armor. Might win the votes of quite a few people.
_________________