Skip to content
Maintankadin

SpartanUI

WATERBOYsh
Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:19 pm

SpartanUI

Does anyone use it? I'm just curious if it works well for 3.1. It hasn't been updated since January, but from what I can tell from their website, they are working on a new version. Here is a screenshot I stole from someone on the official forums.

Image

The minimap should be in the middle bottom... not sure why it isnt in this screen shot though.

I really like the look of this mod and would like to try it, but ive never had good luck with unit frame replacements.
WATERBOYsh
Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Re: SpartanUI

I found another screenshot, this time though of someone tanking deconstructor, so I guess it still works fine even after 3.1. This screenshot I think better shows the addon.

Image
Honorshammer
Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:26 pm

Re: SpartanUI

I've been using Spartan for a couple of months now and I really like it. It opened up my screen and gives me better visibility on tanking.

Highly recommended.
WATERBOYsh
Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:39 pm

Re: SpartanUI

I stumbled upon it watching a video a couple of days ago.... luckily someone asked in the comments what addon it was and luckily for me, someone had answered.

My main concern was that it hadn't been updated in 6 months and 3.1 seemed to break a bunch of addons (at least the ones I use anyway)

Maybe you can answer a couple questions then about the 2nd ss I posted.... Under the minimap, what are those 5 green bars? Are they the hp of the 5 people in your party? The orange bar looks like the rogues energy, but it has a different number than his unit frame does. And what is the green bar under that? Only other question is where does your aura bar go?
Honorshammer
Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: SpartanUI

I'm not sure. Here's a screenshot of my UI. I can confidently answer any question you might have on this screenshot. The Aura Bar should be easier to spot.

Image
Conaan!
Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: SpartanUI

i used spartanUI when progressing through BC, but ive found alot more functionality if you just make your own UI, the big downer for me was being unable to see mob buffs/debuffs
Honorshammer
Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: SpartanUI

Conaan! wrote:i used spartanUI when progressing through BC, but ive found alot more functionality if you just make your own UI, the big downer for me was being unable to see mob buffs/debuffs


A) You can see mob buff/debuffs in spartan, but they are exceedingly small

B) While I have no doubt you have more functionality from an ala carte, make your own UI, I have never had much luck with ala carte UIs. Multiple mods to configure, update and get to play nice with each other. What I loved about Spartan was that it was essentially turn key. I installed it and it was ready to go, basically zero set up other than dragging my spells onto the various hotbars.
WATERBOYsh
Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: SpartanUI

I downloaded and installed it. After getting it set up I really like it. Will take some getting used to. I was having a hard time watching my health last night because my portrait is not in the top left corner where its been for 4 years. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

My only two complaints are (as someone else mentioned) the buff/debuffs. They are just way to small, and you can't see more than the first few anyway. I plan on getting a buff mod and from what I understand, most of them show buffs and debuffs. Really, the only debuffs I need to see on a boss are the ones I put up, but the main thing is buffs the boss may get in the fight that require reacting to.

The 2nd problem (and I hope I explain this good) is that the game environment seems to be drawn under the UI instead of going from the top of the screen to the top of the UI. This is most pronounced when I use my mammoth, because its so big the top of the UI is practically at my feet instead of me being in the middle. Because of this I feel like my peripheral vision has gotten better because of less clutter, but seeing things coming from up or down has become harder.

Overall though I really like it. It really de-clutterfied my screen. After I get everything set up I'll take a screenshot.
Honorshammer
Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: SpartanUI

I use Satrina's Buff Mod, upper left hand corner of my screenshot. For new classes I'm playing I prefer Elk's but I know all my Paladin buffs by icon.
olih27
Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:31 pm

Re: SpartanUI

WATERBOYsh wrote:The 2nd problem (and I hope I explain this good) is that the game environment seems to be drawn under the UI instead of going from the top of the screen to the top of the UI. This is most pronounced when I use my mammoth, because its so big the top of the UI is practically at my feet instead of me being in the middle. Because of this I feel like my peripheral vision has gotten better because of less clutter, but seeing things coming from up or down has become harder.

Overall though I really like it. It really de-clutterfied my screen. After I get everything set up I'll take a screenshot.


That can likely be sorted by installing a veiwpoint addon, (sunnart) then remove any art it places on your screen, put the bottom and top of veiwpoint inline with the action bars.
WATERBOYsh
Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SpartanUI

Are you talking about this addon over at curse? If so, could you explain to me a little of what its supposed to do, because it doesn't seem to do what I was talking about... or does it?
Rickter
Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: SpartanUI

SpartanUI is a very nice addon. I used it all through BC and until about 3 months ago. With the addition of scrolling combat text, Elk Buff Bars, and your standard threat/dmg meters it was pretty solid. BIggest problem i had revolved around bartender updates. Bartender is updated much more often than Spartan is, and i constantly found myself fighting with spartan to set it back up every few bartender release.

I have since built my own UI, but would highly recommend spartan for guys looking for something different and useful from standard blizz configurations.