I know there are a few people here that have made some really useful addons (Tankadin and TankadinTPS come immediately to mind) and I'm looking for a few pointers to get started. I downloaded Tankadin and have been looking around at the files to see what the structure is, and its just not obvious what everything does (no offense to chloe... the actual coding looks nice =D), so I was wondering if there is a good tutorial to help get me started.... perhaps the infamous "Hello World" program.

Is there any sort of development IDE that can be used, or do most people just edit it in their favorite text editor? It would be nice if there were a LUA perspective for Eclipse (is there?). I'm wanting to start off with some small simple addons, and once I'm comfortable with LUA maybe tackle something larger. I'm a fairly competent programmer (Computer Science students graduating this Dec.) that is really comfortable working in Java and mildly comfortable in C, so I'm pretty sure I have the background to enable me to do this. I just need some pointers as to where to start.
_________________