Skip to content
Maintankadin

R.I.P. Wow Ace Updater

Morlin
Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:16 pm

R.I.P. Wow Ace Updater

I will miss you dearly. You kept me and all of my mods sane. You held us together. You made my life so much easier. I don't know what I'm going to do without you. Having you there when MazzleUI would be M.I.A. for months after a new patch was something I could always count on to keep at least most of my mods up-to-date. Now without you, I am scared to even log into WoW for fear of the bloody mess that has probably been made of my UI. I will miss you terribly, WAU, and quite frankly, I don't think I'm the only one that is taking this loss particularly hard.

Rest in peace, my friend.

Crying or Very sad
_________________
Freyas
Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:44 pm
I picked up WoWMatrix, which is fairly similar to WowAceUpdater, just because I got so used to having my mods taken care of simply and easily. While I don't feel it's quite as good as Ace was, it's better than manually searching for updates.
_________________

Frejas: 70 Protection Paladin
Tempestra: 70 Affliction Warlock
Suli: 70 Moonkin Druid
Rashiel: 67 Beast Hunter
Aryen: 63 Frost Mage
Duraz0rz
Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:11 pm
The Curse client pales in comparison to WAU Sad
stormknight
Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:48 pm
Im trying to use curse client at the moment but its not good at all, I mean not like wowaceupdater but well dont have too many option.. Wowmatrix is another option aswell.
_________________


Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Vindictive
Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:56 am
i use wowmatrix it has worked great for me
_________________
Guillex
Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:43 am
Dianora.

WowMatrix.
_________________
Official thread killer

Robbert
Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Maybe I'm just missing it (and I'm @ work now so can't check)...but does WowMatrix have the same category and search features that WAU had?
_________________
Belarkan
Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:44 am
Using wow matrix now.

I miss Wow ace updater so much.
samsara
Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:37 am
Is wowmatrix working good again?

I switched quite a long time ago from wau to wowmatrix. But as the patch hit i figured out that wowmatrix had problems with aceaddons. Further investigations bring it up that wowmatrix got the files from files.wowace.com and as this host is down, i thoght wowmatrix would be quite useless to me as i tend to use quite alot of aceaddons.

So now i use this strange curseclient, which is to be honest not that bad but it's also not as smooth as wowmatrix was.
_________________
lvl 70 / Samsara / Der Mithrilorden
Rothes
Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:37 am
wowmatrix is generally hated by the addon authors.

I will try to explain. WAU went away because it used tons and tons of bandwidth that Curse was paying for. Then, they officially merged wowace and curse.

Curse released curse client it comes in two modes (or will): pay with no ads plus more features and no pay with ads. This is because someone somewhere has to pay for the terabytes and terabytes of data transferred for addon updates. Hence the ads or pay options.

So, using wowmatrix prevents addon sites (curse, wowinterface, etc) from generating profit from ads. Which makes it harder for them to pay for the bandwidth needed. Which in turn means they will have to take action about it which will probably be more inconvenient.

Basically using wowmatrix will hurt the community in the long run. Also, it took them forever to give credit to addon authors (which started them off on the wrong foot). You can read more about this on wowace... here

That is why I am using curse client... which is pretty good once you leap the huge hurdle of setting it up.
_________________
Rothes - 70 Protection Paladin - Bloodscalp
"When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you."
--Lao Tzu