Skip to content
Maintankadin

Enemy swing timer. Does one exist?

agnara
Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:31 pm

Enemy swing timer. Does one exist?

I've been looking for a swing timer like the one in the Quartz addon, only that it shows the attack speed on whatever mob I'm targetting, instead of my own attacks.

I can imagine that it would be possible to make one by measuring the time between attacks, using the combat log, and then making a timer that showed how long it would be to the next attack.

Just thinking it would be easier to time the use of Hammer of wrath, Avenger's shield and maybe even Holy wrath, when you can see the mob's attack speed.
QuantumDelta
Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:39 pm
swinger did this a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong (read: Whilst I was pvping so we're talking like.... pre-naxx) time ago, and has since become non-functional as it isn't updated.
I haven't seen a single addon that's done it since.

It's a fair bit of work since you have to calculate parries and pre-program all mob swing times (*or measure and calc on the fly which even more nightmarish) in the game.
It's a great deal of work.
Also it's difficult for any non-named mobs to be measured as with players.
Since you may be dealing with more than one mob and it's difficult to get the game to tell your addon what weapon a player is using.


Most of the time I just guess between the rolling of my incoming (hits/dodge/parries/blocks/misses/resists/crits/crushes) MSBT text which is on a completely different reel to all other reported things.
moduspwnens
Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:43 pm
I'd probably use an addon like this, but it'd also have to calculate parry haste.
_Chloe
Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 pm
I looked into this when working on a module for Tankadin. There's only 1 API call for it and it now only returns the main-hand even on duel-wielding mobs and players. You can use a macro call to find out and do some testing yourself:

Code: Select all
/script mainSpeed, offSpeed = UnitAttackSpeed("target"); DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Main Hand: "..mainSpeed); DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Off-Hand: "..offSpeed);


If there is a mob that returns an offhand value let me know so I can continue working on this.
Neuron
Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:15 pm
Actually I thought that call was the average (mh+oh / 2). I tried the same and got funky results though
Seloei
Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Enemy swing timer. Does one exist?

*ninja necro*

Was thinking if anyone has heard of anything that does it or it's just me who can't find the tankadin mod or it just turned out to be too difficult to code?

Quartz does it for you but was hoping there might be some other one for mobs, mostly bosses. Dualwield bosses hit way too fast to be measurable, but almost all the hard hitters are on 2s pre-debuff/buff.
_Chloe
Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: Enemy swing timer. Does one exist?

That post was made almost a year ago and was for the original Tankadin. That macro should still work though.
Seloei
Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Enemy swing timer. Does one exist?

ah shame, thought you might have been working on a mod for it that would show the enemy swing timers :)

Ohwell, the macro does work in finding out what his hit speed is but getting it to function as a bar like quartz's swing timer is is a bit different :s

The reason why, was trying to weave in exorcism next patch without having to 'know' when he just hit you or to see if you should blow that LoH because a heal won't land in time.
Airanna
Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Enemy swing timer. Does one exist?

No offense, but weaving in Exorcism is barely worth it as is, being only worthwhile when Exo is glyphed and there are definitely three or more major glyphs far better for you. Threading it into 969 with a 1.5 sec cast time is just a needless risk for negligable benefit.
Seloei
Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Enemy swing timer. Does one exist?

it's not a waste for when you see a new add coming and you are single tanking. Say yogg saron, mimiron, xt from 3.1. Quite sure there might be a atleast one similar fight in there and you can't count on avengers shield each time.
I still weave exorcism in every 2. judgement because it is a lot bigger than the judgement on demon/undead.