Skip to content
Maintankadin

WowAce - Tootles

Grimmal
Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:23 pm
http://code.google.com/p/jwowupdater/

This should still work for auto updating your mods, but finding new ones might end up being a bit of a hassle. I actually like it much more anyways as you can add non-Ace mods and autoupdate them as well.
Maelstrom
Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:40 am
From a sofware developer's point of view this makes perfect sense, WowAce was an organisational clusterfuck and rebuilding it to be more streamlined and easier to maintain will be nothing but good in the long run.

This also means those pesky developers wih SVN access will stop messing with addons that aren't their own going "LOL I MAKE IT BETTAR" and then mysteriously breaking someone elses software whilst they're not looking.

</Cynical Software Developer Rant>

Smile
_________________
Dyrcyn
Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:12 pm
A guildie pointed this out to my guild in light of the loss of the WAU:

WoW Matrix

It's pretty nifty in that it'll update all your addons not just Ace addons. It's a bit slower than the WAU, but I dig it far more than the Curse updater.
_________________

http://the-kabal.guildlaunch.com/
moduspwnens
Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:04 am
I'll have to try that then. I was using JWoW after Lore plugged for it, but it didn't seem to update as many as the WAU did (in that, I could run JWoW, then run WAU, and it'd still have stuff to download). Maybe I was just using it wrong, but I could try WoWMatrix.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
I Am Rumpole
Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:43 am
i got my whole guild using wow-matrix

but i think if the ace2 addons move from where wow-m is looking it might stop - but i'm sure they'll be an update

and installing/uninstalling mods with it is mint
_________________
Dimitry
Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:28 pm
I honestly would not use wow matrix, but I'm paranoid and uptight about software. The developer of wow matrix engages in some unsavory practices (scraping content from other sites and distributing addons without the author's permission are just two of them).

Additionally, the whois information for their website is anonymous and as a software developer, that's something I'd never do.
_________________
3/24/08 -- LVL 70
Spectrum
Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:45 pm
Frack. I have always liked wowace for the openness and community is has. I like that it's not trying to bombard me with an over-active site and advertising. Also, many of the addons work well and have at least a minimal level of intelligent development, so when I need a mod for something, I check wowace first.


I think in the long run wowace will maintain its core values and advantages. But in the short run, expect some frustrations.
_________________
No really, I'm not addicted.

"The skill-gear curve is steep for small values of skill."

http://armorylite.com/us/Silvermoon/Spectrum