I'm would like to keep discussion to personality traits that determine what class/role a person chooses. How this relates to this site: What "type" of person chooses to be a tank? Whether it be a Warrior, Druid, or a Paladin.
In my experiences, I've moved between a few guilds, had encounters with various other tanks, conflicts have risen, some resolved, and some persisted. During these transistions, I've noticed trends in the personality of the so called "competition". I use that word lightly, in that I know and understand that we are a tank team, we work together, utilizing each others strong points to reach a common goal.
In the guilds i've been in, there has always been the old fashioned Warrior MT. The one that has been raiding for many years, not always the MT, but back in those days, 90% of the tanks were warriors (outside of five mans). However, now that other classes are viable raid tanks, I see conflict arising between the tanking classes.
The conflicts I see are seemingly about pride, or something along those lines. Some specific examples I will bring up:
I've had several warriors that during a multi-mob/tank pull, after the warriors target dies, he'll come taunt my target off me, for no reason at all. I'm just there burning time with my SoR/JoR rotation, trying to save mana (they move fast so I try not to take any down time) and he rips this off me, leaving me standing there.
Another point, on similar multi-mob pulls, if there are more mobs than tanks, I've had warriors favor tanking two mobs, over say letting me do it. Even on pulls with no CC, I do not understand their reasoning behind this. It just over-complicates things having to set up a MD (and which hunter will do it) so that he can get both targets.
I'd like to know if anybody has any experiences with any situations like this, and if/how you combat these situations. I know that the "omg let me tank the boss" discussion has been brought up before, but I'd like to take a more in depth and thorough look at it. I don't want to just hound my raid leader that I am a viable slot to tank, and have him piss off the tank by back-seating him, but I would like to discuss how to talk to these types of people and dealing with the "tank dilemma"...
I realize this post got a little off, I'm at work and have been tabbing back and forth between what I should be doing...
see also: http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=9167
_________________
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
http://armorylite.com/us/kael%27thas/korialstraz



[/url]