Skip to content
Maintankadin

Building Threat When Not Being Hit

Crashmore
Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:04 pm

Building Threat When Not Being Hit

Recently I started running as a regular off tank in both SSC and TK. Since my own guild is only just starting Gruuls I figured it'd be a while before we get there as a guild. So I decided I'd start running some 25s with another guild as an ot in an effort to learn the fights and to keep gearing up.

Now normally I'm my guilds mt and when main tanking I have never run into any threat issues. The problem I'm having lately centers around building threat while not being main tank and regularly struck by the target.

Voidreaver and Gruul both have given me recent troubles. In both cases I struggled to stay #2 on the threat meter as I was asked to do by the tank captain in the run. (He's a warrior and may not fully understand pally tanks) I know this will be a non issue when I'm there as mt with my own guild but in the meantime I'm having a tough go at it.

I've started tinkering with sov, having never much used it as mt. I think I may be on the right track but I'm not certain. I know this really isn't our strong point to begin with but I'm hoping someone may have some spell rotation / or just general tips to offer up to help make me a bit more effective in this scenario.

Here's my armory in case it's relevant.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Feathermoon&n=Avlen
_________________
Cadberri
Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:23 pm
I know nothing about SoV since I'm a blood elf, and Seal of Blood is garbage for a tankadin with a SD weapon.

I've been asked to 2T (secondary tank) a target like Gruul or VR a few times, and that's with our GM being a prot pally himself. The best thing IMO is to throw on a spell damage set. Mine has ~500 SD with the Sha'tar glyph, enchants on bracers and gloves, and spellthread on the pants. I also use Superior Wizard Oil, Crunchy Serpent or other SD food, and Flask of Blinding Light, putting me up to ~650. Since I don't do much blocking until I actually pull aggro, Libram of the Eternal Rest adds Consecration damage.

I drop a JoCr as soon as we start, then just spam JoR every time the Judgment cooldown is up. If I start getting passed up by melee, I blow Avenging Wrath and use a Destruction Potion if I have some mana to spare for JoR and Consecration.

Basically, it's a balls out display of secondary threat generation. I say secondary because our primary source of threat is getting our asses beat on.

WTB Seal/Judgment of Fury again...
_________________
Cadberri - 70 BE Paladin
<Mass Casualty> of Nazgrel
Dnasheen2
Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:36 pm
Our GM is a prot warrior, so he MTs most of the fights.

I havn't really found much trouble staying 2nd on threat on these two fights once I started chain potting. Hes what I normally do for VR.

SoCr
JoCr (if Ret pally is available, then I judge wisdom)
SoR
(Whack a few times to allow MT to get more threat).
AW
AS
JoR
Max Rank Consecrate
SoV to 2 Stacks
SoR
JoR
SoV and JoV <-- Stick with this for the rest of the fight.
Rank 4 Consecrate and AS everytime CD is up.

If VR starts beating on you, I max rank Consecrate all the time cuz I don't have to worry about mana anymore. Once hes on you, he'll be on you for a long time before you finally get dropped off the top threat list.


For Gruul. I do not use SoV and just stick with SoR. The constant shatter and knockback makes my stacks drop off too often to make it reliable. Just pot early and pot often.

I use S2 mace which is a 1.6 sec speed weapon if you are curious and SD flask/oil/food for these 2 fights.

I ask the hunters to not MD me, but MD the other warrior tanks instead.
fiorina
Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:48 pm
demonic runes.... tons of them!

I think that's the idea of Holy warrior in Blizzard eyes... consuming tons of demon remnants while fighting :/
Dnasheen2
Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:19 pm
Dark Runes is another good option too. I use alot of them as well.

They are the same as Demonic Runes, but are not BOP, so you can easily farm the AH for them.

On my server, 2g per piece is a good price.
Omatre
Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:40 am
So you got 2 tankadins doing VR?

Why not have the hunters MD to you on the 2nd round of MD's.

I start VR now, and generally hold threat 60% of the fight, last time, had him all to myself about 85% of the time.

He'd knock me back, I'd blow wings, and my Living Ruby Serpent, and jump all over him again with SoV, maybe AS him again, whatever. But I dropped below all the DPS one knockback and w/o MD's was able to shoot back up to 1st place.

I roll in T4 4 piece for him, with ~600 SD with food buffs and the like.
_________________
Crashmore
Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:50 am
Thanks for the tips!

I had a second crack at VR yesterday and based on the info I got here I made some tweaks and had a much much easier time staying up on the threat meter. I opened the pull held him for quit a long while before falling off after a knock back. I stayed near the top the rest of the fight as needed and took agro back on multiple occasions. Thanks for the help!
_________________
Shamroth
Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:11 am
I personally had a hard time with mana until I started to downrank Consecration when I wasn't his target. Huge difference and my threat over the whole fight went up as I wasn't OOM. Also throwing a shield whenever you can doesn't hurt.
_________________