Skip to content
Maintankadin

Tanking stats...

wri7913
Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:52 am

Tanking stats...

I'm currently geared in Kara epics and T4 pieces. With various pieces using outfitter, I can create a higher dodge set for tanking Prince and other hard hitting bosses, or .... I can switch to a high block set. Usually the stats look something like...

Set 1 - 25% dodge / 22% Block

Set 2 - 17% dodge / 36% Block

I know a lot of pally's carry around two sets to use at various times. How do you know which set to use at which appropriate times? I have another Pally Tank in our guild who only carries around one set. His set is a high block set he uses even when tanking hard hitting bosses. It seems more like his health jumps and spikes during those fights and healers have a harder time with healing him. When I am tanking during those fights, I have my high dodge avoidance set and my health seems more stable. By that I mean it doesn't jump as much and give my healers heart attacks.

My reasoning has always been if you are AOE tanking, the high block set is the choice to go because many foes will eat through holy shield fast. You want more blocking to prevent them from landing hits on you even with Holy shield down. When you are facing bosses that land hits at 4k to 8K and crushing blows with specials, you want to avoid those as much as possible with some moderate blocking to reduce down the dmg as much as possible. Is my thinking correct or am I missing something?

~Ghaazi

Armory Link below - I should be in my boss avoidance set.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Llane&n=Ghaazi
Ulushnar
Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:01 am
You're reasoning's fairly correct. I break it down further into four sets:

Block Value set - used for aoe trashfests, Heroics and Morogrim.
Boss Threat set - used for hard single trash, or snap aggro/DPS race bossfights (Leotheras or Void Reaver for example)
Avoidance set - used for fast-hitting bosses like the Prince or Maulgar
"Generic" Boss set - More health and less Avoidance than the avoidance set (but more avoidance than block). Used for most boss encounters, particularly the slow heavy-hitters.

Just stacking a block set will make you a god on trash, but once the bosses start hitting above the 4-5k mark, you'll look increasingly squishy.
_________________
A Hero desires a Sword, and a Sword desires Truth.

tackle
Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:15 am
Just make sure you use one of the macro's to make sure your threat/max health/avoidance sets are all above 102.4% so you are uncrushable.

I start using my avoidance set once mobs are hitting for more than 2k a swing or if I am tanking less than 3. Most of the time on single pull trash I use my threat set because it makes life easier for the dps.
Robbert
Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:21 pm
I also recently noticed I was able to drop the Libram of Repentance and, looking to up my tps a bit more, ended up swapping in the Libram of Zeal. Between that, imp JotC, and swapping in my Justicar Gauntlets with 2% threat enchant I've picked up a nice chunk of tps.

I'm actually currently running ~.8% crushable, but according to my calculations using tankpoints the combo of King & MotW covers that nicely!
_________________