Skip to content
Maintankadin

Mitigation - Order of Precedence

puppies
Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:19 am

Mitigation - Order of Precedence

assuming we githit by a mob - thereby ruling dodge or parry out of the equation in what order does mitigation take place? As a prot pally we have several sources namely

armour
improved righteous fury
blessing of sanctuary
block value (assuming hit blocked of course)

just wondering in which order is damage mitigation calculated

answer on a postcard
_________________
Morpheren
Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:24 am
I believe its (from top to bottom)

BoSanc
Armor
Imp RF
BV
_________________
whatisboom?
Dorvan
Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:25 am
Precedence is as follows.

1. Incoming hit value
2. Reduce by 80 for BoSanc
3. Reduce by 6% for Imp RF and by whatever your armor DR is (order that these are applied doesn't matter because they're multiplicative)
4. If it's a block, reduce by your block value.
5. Laugh as you full block those silly ghouls.
_________________
Morpheren
Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:27 am
Eh, I was close, forgot RF and Armor was multiplicative.
_________________
whatisboom?
Emoir
Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:04 pm
It seems to me, the better your armor reduction goes, the less BoSanc is actually doing for ya...


/offtopic on
I do find myself using this now. I usually have mana issues when tanking content far below my gear (I'm too proud to gear down Smile).

Anywho, I've found BoSanc instead of BoWis and sealing Wisdom causes me to generate more threat and less downtime when chain pulling entire groups of mobs. This is mainly more efficient for me since I don't need to use consc (except for on caster groups).

To give you an idea, I typically go through 20 water in a heroic and 40 in a normal. With a SPriest, I don't need water or any other mana regen... <3 SPriests.

/offtopic off
Brickhouse
Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Blessing of Sanctuary

I wish this talent was better, or at least scaled better.

80 damage mitigation against a mob that hits for 1, 2, 5, 7k is really not much of anything, and the threat generation is not that great either. I get 2-3x the aggro from a single Consecration tick.

I switched to Protection at 70, where Kings has always seemed to be better. Though, I have used BoSanc sometimes, while AoE grinding, etc...it is more of a novelty (ohhh i feel good to use this protection paladin only talent).

I guess in the end, I would recommend no one use this unless you are really undergeared, and doing a normal instance, or are level 30. Even at level 30, kings might be better?
Talibr
Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:06 am
My prot pally is level 49 right now, and it only takes off 14 damage per hit :-\

The threat generated by it is also pretty minimal, it was pretty good for AEing elites for the first 10 levels or so I had it, what with my friend on his lock spamming hellfire like a madman, especially pre-holy shield, I needed all the threat I could get.

Now, I use Kings or BoW almost exclusively, as spamming consecrate for just that much longer or needing a heal just that much less is a better option. Especially as we're still 3 manning instances above our levels with only 1 DPSer; the mobs take longer to burn down then they used to.
_________________
Priest of the 13th.
Neuron
Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:21 am
Just wanted to add that I consider stamina to be a component of mitigation. It took me a while to understand it at first but each point of stamina increases your total health. When viewing incoming damage as a percentage of your health (like you got hit for 10% of your health), then having a larger health pool means the same hit is smaller (instead you only got hit for 5% of your health). In this manner, stamina provides pretty much the same benefit as block value or armor, and is a form of mitigation (reducing the "size" of each hit, where size is not just the actual amount of damage but the % of your health lost).

So stamina is up there near the top.
_________________
Widdox
Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:38 am
While this is true, in terms of EH, remember that healers do not have infinate mana. Just because a 10% hit drops to a 5% hit, still means the same size heal is needed to top you offf.
QuantumDelta
Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:40 am
Though that falls into effective health theory fairly consistently, you have to be quite concious that mitigation means lessening incoming damage, whilst it's fine to give yourself more of a buffer in terms of HP - allowing you to take more hits (mitigation does the same) before you die, HP does not lessen then incoming damage value.

DPS done to you is a valid concern if your healers are having trouble maintaining your/raids HP.

HP, on a Paladin can also be considered a mitigation stat because of Argent Defender however, whilst these things are good to keep in mind they're also not worth sacrificing for other stats.

eg: You would probably get more out of the armour upgrades you can find even if it costs you a bit of your HP on your next few items, with that profile your signature is showing (don't take it as a knock, it's not).

Asif Widdox summed up my post in a sentence before I posted /QQ
Neuron
Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:31 am
hmm, i dunno, i thought 19,000+ armor was pretty good, its getting pretty hard to upgrade it any further.
_________________
Neuron
Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:46 am
I understand that higher armor and such reduce the size of each hit and this relates to how much damage must be healed. But when viewing the hit as a percentage of total health, how you reduce the percentage of health lost from a hit does not seem to differentiate between whether it was because of higher stamina or armor/block value/sanctuary. It seems like it is just a difference in semantics, although I agree that perhaps your definition is the more popular and generally accepted one.

Edit: I guess it depends on what you consider more important. Reducing the total damage taken over the course of an entire encounter and the effect of damage taken on healing required and its relation to healer mana required versus the role of mitigation in surviving smaller time periods (e.g. 4 consecuitive hits and such).

While there is a threshold above which you will cause healers to run out of mana, I think this threshold is rather high in TBC for most encounters and the restraint has definititely been relaxed and healer mana efficiency has been much improved. Healing seems more about dealing with spike damage than mana efficiency lately (except perhaps on the illidari council or mother shahraz in SR healing gear). In that regard, I weight the discussion about how to survive 4 consecutive hits with proper mitigation as more relevant than mitigation's effect on healer mana. And so, in that regard, I see my definition of it as equally important as yours.

Of course, it is still just semantics.
_________________
Lore
Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:57 am
Avoidance is for healer mana.

Most healers (or at least the ones I've worked with) tend to spam cast whatever their favorite heal button is and (if they feel like it) cancel it if the tank is at full health when it's about to go off. This effectively means it doesn't matter if your health drops 4k or 6k, you're going to have the same amount of mana spent on you either way. Avoiding the attack, however, will make healers cancel casts.
_________________
You wanted to raid but didn't get far, cuz everyone transferred to the P! T! R!