Skip to content
Maintankadin

SoV Weaving

Kethion
Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:03 am

SoV Weaving

I am considering rolling an Alliance Paladin to test out SoV in general, but before I do, I want to hear opinions on SoV weaving, and who here has actually managed to get it to work consistently and if so, what speed weapon do you specifically use and what judgement/seal order works the best.
2ndNin
Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:59 am
Having tried, it doesn't seem like a great technique, SoV with a < 2.0 speed weapon needs 3-4 strikes to basically guarantee a refresh, so you are only adding 1-2 SoV strikes at most into the mix if you want to keep up SoV (which I find slips off a lot anyway, so not 1 of my 10 attacks actually refreshed it Sad)
_________________
Ahh, but you have heard of me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria
Erlata
Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:08 am
Ok it's a very to use the phrase "hit and miss" attack. Ok it's very very nice threat when judged with a stack of 5 on and a full stack of 5 will tick for more dmg then your swing of a SoR and SoR can miss so a drop in threat. but... to keep a stack of 5 on is hard you need the 8-9% + hit and i doudt any pala tank has that i only get that when i'm raid dps spec. and you want 5% expertise with all these you guarntie to hit the thing you are trying to but there is no guarntie that you will refresh your seal.

I use this seal if i'm OT a boss really as you can hit from behind making you less likly to miss and all that sort of thing. and beacuse you don't need holy shield up you can even rotate some SoR in there when you have all 5 stacks on the mob/boss.

On high threat bosses or MH bosses where you really don't want to wipe due to the long 20-30 mins w8 for the boss to come after the trash i just don't trust SoV for keeping up stacks for agro so i use SoR all the time (when i'm the MT)

It's like your SoB it's a nice seal but our one falls off alot and your one hurts you. both are not ideal but can do alot of threat Smile
_________________


http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodfeather&n=Erlata
2ndNin
Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:30 am
When not weaving I tend to use SoR for the initial smack, swap out to SoV until it falls off then back to SoR for the rest of the fight, since generally by that time my threat doesn't matter, or I can't rely on getting 5 stacks back on it before the dps push me, either way SoV becomes too unreliable, its only really with the initial 30s you can afford to try and stack it because of the threat boost from wings, shields etc I find.
_________________
Ahh, but you have heard of me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria
Amran20
Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:49 pm
I only use SoV if I'm tanking something that doesn't need burst threat. Usually you want to get going on a boss right quick, and SoV slowly ramps up, it doesn't get going quickly enough. I will say that when I had Reckoning back in the day, I could SoV up and get a 5 stack going in no time flat. But those are days gone by...
_________________


If these numbers are low, I'm LOLRET.
Blutreich
Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:03 pm
I always thought SoV would be fun for fights where you swap agro like on bear boss or hydros, keep the stack going and swap to SoR when it is your turn for lots of frontloaded threat.
_________________

Helenia
Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:30 am
On Void Reaver I try to keep a 5stack of Vengeance up, while weaving SoR in at the same time. When the stack of Vengeance is about 60% through I usually hit my SoV macro to refresh the 5stack, then switch back to SoR. The result, along with keeping AS and highest rank consecrate on cool is totally insane threat. I am the tank around 90% of the time despite frequent knockbacks. It's awesome Razz
_________________
Born to tank.
Braeonir
Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:50 pm

This explanation gave my holy paladin mates a headache

It's a tough one. My guildies, especially my Karazhan group regulars, are used to my threat generation and know to go easy on the accelerator for the 4-5 seconds that SoV takes to get ticking over. If there' s someone a bit hair-trigger on the night i'll splash a SoR in at the 1st chance I get, but consecrate usually does the trick. 2 things make me hesitate in reccomending this method to everyone, given that SoR is a simple and effective aggro gain:

1. The biggest difficulty is the need to react to the threat level generated, the cooldowns running and the total stacks of SoV on the target. It causes a dangerous amount of tunnel-vision and means I have to have total confidence in the rest of the party to be getting on with whatever they are doing.

2. The major flaw in this method for me is that AS misses from time to time, and the SoC that i have ready to judge needs to be traded for an SoR and judged fast. It's rare but leads to the odd messy pull that is a breath away from total chaos. Confused

However i've found that juggling SoV with SoJ maxes out my threat potential so the DPS can just go nuts. Also the joint effect of even just 3 stacks of SoV and consecration means that in knockdowns and stuns the aggro keeps on building nicely. Overlaying SoJ procs with the SoV debuff at full, switching to SoV till renew (or 2 sec off debuff fading), Judge SoV and start SoJ again keeps the aggro engine ticking over. Improved judgments means i can work it into a more responsive casting sequence, all depending on the success of the SoV procs.

So if SoV stacks are not building fast. SoJ JoJ SoJ/SoV (depending on the state of the aggro list) and let the SoV stack up. If the SoV stacks just fail to materialise SoJ is a great parachute as long as it's nipped in the bud early.

Now, bring me that Aspirin