Skip to content
Maintankadin

BV Set not as good as avoidance set?

Zeels
Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:43 pm

BV Set not as good as avoidance set?

Just did a heroic shattered halls. Tried pulls with my blockvalue set (590BV, still decent avoidance and around 15-16k buffed hp).

My healer had a really hard time keeping me up on those gladiator packs.
Switching to full avoidance gear (pretty much what I have on now in armory, aroudn 350 BV), it was a lot easier for him to keep me up, I mean a lot easier. (Did pulls when they were at full health both with and without the BV set to test)

My healer who is usually a resto druid, was boomkin today, but he still managed to keep me up just fine, did a standard 45 min run or so.

Anywho, feels like the block value set is overrated big time.
_________________
By the Power of Grey Skull!
Dorvan
Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:48 pm
Well, how much are they hitting you for and how much avoidance were you losing? Should be pretty easy to figure out based on those two which set up mitigates more damage. Also note that block value does best on dual-wielding mobs, which tend to hit more for small amounts, whereas the glad packs all wield 2Hers.
_________________
Nicki
Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:02 pm
im intrigued as to what items you are swapping out personally i tend to tank heroics in t4 if im with a decent healer :>

Block value is myself amusement, you understand when you have 800block value it becomes 50% mitigation on some mobs in heroics (REALLY BORING FOR HEALERS ._.) but it does depend on the mob damage..
_________________
To face death and glory with an equal smile
Worldie
Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Or just skip the gladiator packs and do yourself and the healer a favour.
_________________

Ralthos
Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:33 pm
Funny, I see marked survival increases from block value over other sets of gear in heroics. My BV is higher, though, at ~730, and my unbuffed block rate is ~39% in that set, AND I can trinket up over 1k BV.

Hell, on many boss fights, it's better than swapping over to my "boss" set, which has 4% more dodge, a couple hundred more health, and a couple hundred more armor, but drops 300~ BV.
_________________
kalbear
Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:36 pm
Against those guys specifically, avoidance is likely going to be better. They can hit for 3k each. Most of the time block value is going to shine, but in that case it's gonna be not as great as avoidance for decent values of avoidance (in this case, 200bv equates to what, 1/15th more avoided attacks?)
Everlight
Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:37 pm
It's the Mortal Strike that caused your problem.

Block Value doesn't stop the debuff applying unless you do a full block, which you're not going to do in a heroic.
_________________
Zen Tanking - http://zentanking.blogspot.com
Lieris
Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:31 pm
Just wait for them to kill each other then pull and AOE them down. They drop like flies.

Also maybe work on your block rating. Block value is only good if you're blocking.
_________________
Zeels
Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:43 am
Have to look later tonight what my blockrating is at with the gear.
The issue however was not how to kill them or how to bypass them, I'm pretty overgeared of shatterhalls so it's not a problem to burst through it in 45 mins or less, that's the easy part. My issue was that ppls rate block value gear high for those kinds of encounters. To me it seems like my avoidance gear with a lot less bv was better (not just on those mobs, but throughout the instance).

Mortal strike on the galdiator packs, yes valid point, might be better to stack avoidance.
Block rating, yes 8 charges might be eaten quick enough, have to check that.

What I'm aiming at is that the general tip for shatteredhalls is stack bv, but that might not be better than stacking avoidance.
_________________
By the Power of Grey Skull!
Ulushnar
Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:47 am
I can remember one time I ran SH in a full BV set I actually ran OOM a few times because I was mitigating too much (admittedly not on the Glad packs). Since then I scaled back my BV set a bit.

That said, I try to build all my sets for anything above basic five-mans around uncrushability, simply because it means I'm guaranteed to at least block every attack until my HS charges are used.
_________________
A Hero desires a Sword, and a Sword desires Truth.