Skip to content
Maintankadin

Removal of crushing blows - Warriors smile...

Slamdorff
Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:32 pm

Removal of crushing blows - Warriors smile...

Blizz declare they are going to remove crushing blows.

Less warrior tanks will die from spike damage + Tankadin 8xblock advantage is diminished.

We need something back, or we won't maintank.

Or shouldn't I bother?
_________________
Invisusira
Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:42 pm
Wait, did they say they're removing them?

Or are you saying IF they removed them?
_________________
armory | youtube | stuff
Zeels
Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:44 pm
Sounds like hoax. Got a source for that?
_________________
By the Power of Grey Skull!
Baldihar
Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:45 pm
Say it ain't so... Sad

that would put all that work into reaching 102.4% null and void but we would still have superior Threat gen and multi target tanking and 40yd taunt.

But with the competition for tanking slots in my guild I would prolly go Ret since my guild doesn't have a Retadin anyways (they don't believe in them...) they didn't believe in Prot Pallies either til I enlightened them Twisted Evil
_________________
Dorvan
Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:05 pm
Months ago Blizzard said that they weren't happy with some of the random instagibs associated with mechanics like parry and crushing blows. They've never said anything about removing either of the mechanics entirely, but we have seen them removed on fights the are particularly tough on tank spike damage already. Examples:

Azgalor, bear, lynx booses (no crushing)
Mother Sharaz (no extra parry swings)

It's entirely possible that Blizzard may fundamentally alter one or more of these mechanics in WotLK, but with the introduction of Death Knights tankings going to get shaken up a bit then anyway, so I wouldn't fret about it for now.

Edit -- I always try to find original quotes, but search old blue stuff is annoying. Found this so far, which actually indicates they may not actualy have turned off parrygib for Shaz yet (I'm sure someone in here can confirm):

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=711993555&postId=7118601646&sid=1#0

kalbear
Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:08 pm
Heh, it's interesting. I don't believe it, but it's worth a thought experiment.

Warriors never really worried about becoming uncrushable anyway, and they still won't. This makes their ability a bit silly but otherwise they're going to be unchanged.

Paladins can suddenly have all sorts of options for itemization; all they have to do is get to uncrittable and they're fine. This makes things like the D3 set valuable. This also has an odd benefit of making a lot of PvP stuff more valuable.

The big winner for this? Druids. Druids would become the absolute kings of mitigation, having huge armor values right out of the gate. They'd lose this as they go on, but boy early on would they be the best tanks. They'd probably take somewhere betwen 10 and 20% less damage than a warrior or paladin. Prince would be trivial.

Of course, this benefits death knights as well.
Invisusira
Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:25 pm
Well they DID say that they were going to be "reworking the mechanics" of crushing blows with the advent of 2h tanking death knights. That's the last I'd heard.
_________________
armory | youtube | stuff
Worldie
Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:13 am
For sure Shahraz parry haste is still there.
_________________

Tbolt
Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:22 am
Hmmm...I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. Worked pretty hard for uncrushable and being able to maintain it better than warriors with our holy shield charges is pretty nice for paladins I think. Then again Kalbear has a point...being able to reinvest a bunch of stats into spell damage would make our threat generation pretty crazy.
_________________
Nicki
Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:12 am
oops
_________________
To face death and glory with an equal smile
Afraithe
Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:51 am
I can also confirm that Mother Sharaz parrygibs are still there, also when she turns towards raid and cast something, one of the melee behind her can cause a parrygib to the MT as well, so watch the positioning of the melee.
_________________
Everlight
Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:43 pm
I don't know why you guys are worried about Warriors if Blizzard removes crushing blows.

You should be worried about Druids - they will become the A1 premiere tanks, since their primary disadvantage will be gone.
_________________
Zen Tanking - http://zentanking.blogspot.com
Slamdorff
Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:11 pm
Hi all,

Of course it was with regard to this summers statements by Kalgan and one more. Sry if you all thought it was already done/in the making. But it is an interesting discussion.

I posted this on EU class forum:

Hey developer team,

Below an excerpt from an interview last summer. Has anything been decided - or proposed - concerning this mechanic?

It's quite important for us tankadins.

Q u o t e:
Brannoc: *Mazrael* With the advent of multiple tanking classes in The Burning Crusade, Paladins and Druids are now competing for the role of main tank in 25-man raiding content, extending from Karazhan up through the Black Temple. Has WoW development reviewed the game mechanics of Crushing Blows? In 2.1, the Glancing Blow mechanic has been changed to assist DPS classes - has any similar discussion been undertaken for Crushing Blows

Kalgan: Yes, we have had a similar discussion regarding crushing blows. We feel they add too random an element for players in endgame content.

Kind greetings,

Slamdorff
Bronzebeard EU
_________________