Skip to content
Maintankadin

Avoidance Scaling

earanduin
Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:50 am

Avoidance Scaling

I apologize for this being put in a separate thread, but I could not find the original one that asked to compared stamina and avoidance.

In essence, I am writing this to support the statement made by Aalryn with respect to avoidance scaling better with gear. The important thing to recognized is that you should be interested in the "Relative" damage reduction made by an increase in avoidance versus the absolute reduction. Below are some examples.

ex#1.

Let x1= base avoidance = 50% = 0.50
x2= new avoidance to compare against x1 = 60% = 0.60

y = relative reduction in damage (i.e. the damage that you and your healers see)
= 1 - [ (1 - x2) / (1 - x1) ] = 1 - (0.4/0.5) = 0.20 = 20%

i.e. the damage reduction seen in going from 50% avoidance to 60% avoidance is a "real feel" of 20%


ex#2

Let x1 = 50%
x2 = 52%

Therefore y = 1 - (0.48/0.50) = 0.04

or alternatively you will experience a net reduction of 4% damage in going from 50% to 52% avoidance.


ex#3

Let x1 = 67%
x2 = 69%

Therefore y = 1 - (0.31/0.33) = 0.061

i.e. in increasing your avoidance by 2% from 67% to 69%, you will experience 6.1% less total incoming damage.


So yes, avoidance does indeed scale well as your gear improves. And hence, the "tank point value" that you attribute to avoidance stats versus stamina stats will also vary as gear improves.


Hope this helps and makes sense as I'm a family doc and have been outside of the math world for several years now. Wink
Aalryn
Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:37 am
I know I preach avoidance and am probably the only person on these forums that does it at least as adamantly as I do.

The thing to keep in mind is that it all depends on where you are at in tanking. If you are sitting at 12k unbuffed hp and are stacking avoidance, your doing it wrong. If you are sitting at 14k armor and are stacking avoidance, your doing it wrong. If your at 18k health and armor unbuffed but are sitting at 50% avoidance, your doing it wrong. It's all about balance, not extremes.


The people I go to for tanking advice is my guild's warriors who are the best on the server. I can't gear like a druid who hit defense and armor cap and stack stamina because their effective health is through the roof. I'll never hit the armor cap. I also come from being a healer for over 2 years and still currently healing with my paladin when I'm not in a mob's face. A high avoidance warrior is easier to heal than one with lower avoidance and a thousand or more health. Honestly after 20k hp it all becomes a blur anyway in a healers point of view. If they are taking more damage than yours and your other healers can heal through, they are going to die. If they are doing that and avoid a few of those attacks, they are easily healable.

As you get higher in avoidance it becomes less 'luck' and more an inevitability, just like crit. One of our paladins when in a boomkin group is sporting 50% crit with holy light.. it's not a matter of if she will crit with her heal, it's gonna happen.
_________________
Official tankadin of <The Core> Tichondrius
Dorvan
Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:59 am
If you're spelling "you are" y-o-u-r, you're doing it wrong Razz

/ducks
_________________
Gerilith
Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:18 pm
Avoidance has increasing returns.
_________________

Cauze blizzard begins to let healing suck.
2ndNin
Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:39 am
I have to agree, stack avoidance, stack stamina and stack armour, but your stats are like a suspension bridge, avoidance is the towers, stamina the cables and armour the bedrock, if any of them is wrong your bridge collapses in the storm.
_________________
Ahh, but you have heard of me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria