Skip to content
Maintankadin

whats everyones average TPS?

Ilara
Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:28 pm

whats everyones average TPS?

Ok, using Omen today during ZA, bored shiteless with my average routine "sit there and take it" on the eagle boss, my eyes wander to Omen and I spot that I have it jumping between 500-750ish tps for me.
I'll add in though that this was with 341 spell damage unbuffed.
I held aggro fine, but I want to push further.

It seemed a little odd to me, as I remember back to reading threads here with paladins boasting thier 1000 average and so on so forth. Thought I'd make a post asking for real now, what does everyone reach in thier average, mayhaps I'm doing something wrong with my rotation which is pretty much

seal righteousness
ensure holy shield is up
spam cons
judge righteousness

exor on undead/demons.

rinse repeat



so anyway, whats everyone hit and under what conditions?
Hitting TK tonight, I'll go buffed up and see what I can reach then.
_________________
Ilara / Protection Paladin / 70 / Barthilas

I Tank with the true force of the light
Warrior's tank with a PMS bar...
Fridmarr
Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:33 am
Well, JotC plus Avenging Wrath when it is available can help. Also, you can add spell damage via elixirs, flasks, potions, and food. As for the 1000TPS, there was a trend quite awhile ago where folks would heavily overestimate their TPS usually based on a spike of threat on a threat meter. Since Wowwebstats has become more common, and our threat is easily deduced from it, we have more realistic numbers.

That's not to say 1000TPS isn't reachable, because it is with enough spell damage. It sounds like your rotation is right, not that there's much to it (especially for blood elves), so it's just a matter of getting more spell dmg.
_________________
Worldie
Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:34 am
Don't forget something often underestimated: shadow priests.
They give a flat 5% spelldamage bonus on the boss that applies to you also.

1k TPS is reachable without too much trouble. For me, it takes crusader judged, 500ish spelldam and possibly a shaman with Wrath of Air.

On t4ish level of content, 700ish TPS sounds perfectly fine to me.
_________________

Snake-Aes
Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:46 am
I can't really tell if I even sustain any stupid threat. Sometimes it stands at 400, then I slap myself in the face and it goes up to 500/600. With crusader judged it goes up to 600 to 700, and on dual wielders it peaks a good 800

Can't tell if i'm doing something wrong, but my numbers do seem a bit off.
_________________

Tank in Training, group utility perception was so much easier as a dpser <whines>
Mithos
Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:55 am
About 1000-1100, this isn't taken from watching Omen, but from taking threat generated during the fight and dividing by fight duration. This is with about 360 unbuffed spell dmg, using JotC, imp divine spirit, no spell dmg food, no spell dmg pots. This is also with (mostly) infinite mana. On a boss say, Supremus or any boss that won't make a dent in me if I use normal tank gear, I will use mostly threat gear, so I'll have about 500-550 or something spell dmg, and due to the nature of Supremus, a lot of extra threat as he hits so fast (and is a demon), maybe about 1300.

What I do usually is use:

SotC;
Holy Shield;
Frizbee the mob (i.e. I'm pulling now, not mid fight);
JotC/SoR as I'm running in;
Consecration;
Holy Shield, etc

If you haven't got Imp Judge I'd advise to get it, then you can do some clever playing around with GCD's. If it's a boss on which you have a low chance of getting owned in a few seconds, then you can skip Holy Shield in favour of something else like Judgement/Consecration etc, I don't mean skip it for any extended time period, I mean if you have 2 spells which will come off CD at the same time or close to each other, and one of them is Holy Shield, then use that after your threat spell, it is unlikely you will die as a result (unless you decide to try it on something nasty), and over time this should increase your TPS. JUst gotta use your judgement (not the spell :p) to decide how to prioritise spells based on the current situation, it's not good skipping Holy Shield if you just took a spike for whatever reason e.g. .
_________________

Ulushnar
Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 am
I can comfortably reach 1.1k-.12k when going full-out on a boss fight when raid-buffed. This does include chain Misdirections onto me. My normal TPS sits anywhere from 600-900 depending on the fight and availability of mana.
_________________
A Hero desires a Sword, and a Sword desires Truth.

QuantumDelta
Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:16 am
1.2k with zero special buffs (jotc/woa/wf/etc) with 257 spelldamage on Teron - had misdirects/proms/lifeblooms/earthshield but you always get those really Razz

Ret pally/wf/nightfall makes it a lot higher tho t_t
fuzzygeek
Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:49 am
It would be nice if shield was a .5 second cast. I'm finding that I sometimes need to work that into the mix for burst threat to stay ahead of dps on some fights.

Risky, yes. But I'd rather take a crushing than lose aggro.
_________________
Joanadark
Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:35 am
For a T5 gear-level tankadin in a group without much threat utility, I'd say that 700 TPS against the Eagle boss is about mid-range.
1k TPS would be high and require something pretty special to acheive under those circumstances in my opinion.

Fridmarr said it well: