Skip to content
Maintankadin

Crit Strike Chance

Elsabeth
Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:40 pm

Crit Strike Chance

In an attempt to audit the values in my char sheet to gain better understanding of the origin of the numbers, one of which being the melee crit strike chance, I find myself confused.

From wowwiki.com, I am to understand that a paladin's base chance for critical strike is Agi / 25. For me this would be 103 / 25 = 4.12% (1). However my tooltip on my char sheet both in game in in armory states that it is contributing 4.77%.

Furthermore, wowwiki.com states that my crit chance % is increased by items that provide a crit chance rating at a rate of 22.08 rating per 1% increase (2). As I have a total of +23 crit strike rating, this should produce an increase of 1.04%. The tooltip in armory and in game matches and confirms this number.

By my addition I should have 4.12% + 1.04% = 5.16%
By the tooltips I should have 4.77% + 1.04% = 5.81%
But the confusion doesnt end there - the kicker of it all is that these tooltips state that my actual chance is 5.73%!

I've reviewed my talents and do not believe that any of them contribute to (or take away from) my crit chance ability and am off when I look at other paladins' chances as well. Bottom line is there's something I'm missing but there's nothing in wowwiki or thottbot that I've found to help me find the discrepancy. Now I'm hoping the wow community can help - the official forums were anything but useful.

Thanks,
Beth

1 http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Agility
2 http://www.wowwiki.com/Combat_Rating_System
Fridmarr
Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:40 pm
It seems like base stats, those you have when naked, don't follow the same formulas. My naked and untalented level 13 mule for instance has 27 stamina and 262 health.
_________________
Antharas
Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:46 pm
low stats are calced differently. if i remember correctly u get a certian amount of hp per point below w/e the magic number is, and ever point after that is normal.

so lets say the deciding number is 50, and you had 100 stam

you might get 5 hp points per point of stam below 50, so 250 hp

and 10 hp points for every point above 50, so 500 hp

for a total of 750 hp


i believe the agility / 25 is wrong, well, maybe not wrong, but not as complex as the real equation. I used to have a site w/ how it all worked, but i dont have it anymore
Jarkeld
Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:06 pm
the base stats do follow the formuals, however you have more on your base than just the 5 stats, you also have a base crit, hp and so forth
ie, if you notice as you level, you don't just gain stats, you also gain base hp and mana(hence why 10% more from stam!=10% more from hp
the same thing goes with crit, you have base crit not from agility
_________________
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made mana people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Jarkeld
Alacia
Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:48 am
Most (all?) stats are actually counted from a different base level than zero. I don't remember the exact values, but the first 5-15 points in a stat are actually "below zero" (i.e 5 Sta might be the point where you get 0 health from sta, meaning if you had less your hp "gained" from stamina would actually be negative). The actual value from each stat point won't change at any point though.
_________________