Skip to content
Maintankadin

Max Threat Generation Cycle

bubblecannon
Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:28 pm

Max Threat Generation Cycle

(Edit: ignore gear, specced for questing - have full badge gear, 2 piece T4 prot and amani punisher)

(Apologies if this is contained in another topic. I've been reading through most of them, but haven't found anything addressing a max threat casting cycle)
I've just been working some numbers out to try and sort out the optimal threat casting cycle.


With the 2 piece T4 bonus (head/shoulder) and around 418 holy dmg (badge gear + amani punisher + 2xring enchant), my threat is broken down as follows:
(I'm ignoring global DPS increases for simplicity - eg. 1-handed, misery, etc)

Consec: 512 + (219*1.15) + 418 = 1181 ~= 280 TPS (with RF) [3.4 TPM]
JoR: 218 + (219*1.15 + 418)*0.71 = 694 ~= 164 TPS (with RF) [11 TPM]
SoR: (lol too hard) approx 110 melee, 150? ~= 250 TPS (with RF) (400 TPS / swing) [8-28 TPM depending on judgement length]
Exo: (650 + (219*1.15+418)*0.429)*1.9 = 1780 ~= 120 TPS (with RF)

So I figured that whilst JoR is a lot cheaper, camping JoR isn't as useful as camping consecrate. Also, whilst JoR can crit, it's also entirely resistable, in contrast to only the first tick of consecrate being resistable (AFAIK).

Also, it seems if you have the judge/reseal SoR macro, you want to ensure you never do it whilst the GCD is up. You are gaining a peak burst of ~700 threat but you lost an entire swing of SoR (or lost 290 threat). If for whatever reason you manage to miss 2 swings with SoR down due to trying to ensure consecrate or holy shield is up, then you've really lost out.

So it seems that you want to focus on:
(a.) camp holy shield
(b.) camp consecrate (these two are mutually exclusive /cry)
(c.) Judge/SoR macro only when GCD is inactive
(d.) exorcise when you have a GCD free and it's off cooldown


Executive Summary
Pull Cycle: SotC, HS, AS, Consecrate, JotC/SoR, AW, Exo (undead)
Threat Cycle Cooldown Priority: HS, Consecrate, Judge/Reseal Macro, Exo

If mana is tight remove a consecrate from your casting cycle as it's the lowest TPM (threat per mana) by a long shot. Also, if mana is -really- tight, just don't judge at all (unless you have enuf mana to reseal - ie. if mana < 400 don't do anything).

Be keen to hear your thoughts. I'm still a n00b tankadin so still working it all out.
_________________
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz'goroth&n=bubblecannon][/url]
bubblecannon
Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:26 pm
Cheers aalryn, I didn't realise the coeffecient stayed at 100 when downranking. Hmm, that almost means that it's costing 1 mana / 8 second for an additional 1.9 TPS. OUCH.

I'll have a play with this tonight. If that's the case, then max rank consecrate is going to be only used at the initial pull and when I'm getting whaled.

thanks again
BC
_________________
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz'goroth&n=bubblecannon][/url]
Minn
Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:33 am
For non-gimmick fights where you get a lot of time to hit the boss, I like SoV for threat. My typical rotation on a boss goes something like this:

Prep SoR, Prep Divine Shield, AS, Consecrate
JoR->SoV
When Judgement is up again, switch to SoW, Judge, re-up SoV
When Judgement is up again, you should have a 5 stack of SoV.
Avenging Wrath, JoV SoV Consecrate.
After AW with max rank Consecrate x2 and JoV x2 I have a very healthy lead on the dpsers.
_________________
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Medivh&n=Minn
Afraithe
Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:47 am
My problem with that is that it takes to long to setup a SoV cycle, DPSers are used to me getting a fast threat lead with AS, JoR, Conc, Ex (undead). If I start with AS, and judge JotC or start to setup a JoV cycle, my start threat is low. Also I curse so loud my neighbors get worried when the JoV stack falls off.

I've actually had JotC fall of once, can't remember the boss, but ffs, 30 seconds of parry/miss/dodge.
_________________
Kelben
Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:06 am
I read somewhere on the forums about cycling SoV and SoR. If on a initial pull you do AS, and a SoR/JoR for threat, than SoV/SoC/JoC/SoV, or something akin to that. I haven't tried it on a boss yet, but a thing I thought they fixed was the timer on SoV stacking was increased to 30seconds, but it is 15 seconds still for me. Did they not change it like plan or did something happen to that idea?

I figure if you can cycle SoV and SoJ, your threat would increase. The only problem is the mana used from cycling. Though I don't think that would be much a problem, I noticed I had 7K mana buffed in gruul's lair, thanks to the SD flask from Ogrila.
kalbear
Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:34 am
Hmm. For me, my rank 1 with 400SD ticks for about 33. My normal cons ticks for about 120. That difference is about 700, which is more than the damage difference is (512 vs 64).

I'll go home and test it tonight in case my memory's off, but I do think there is some downrank consecrate penalty.
kalbear
Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:42 am
is that where the cutoff is? I had no idea. Any suggestions on where I can read up on that further?