Skip to content
Maintankadin

Is it possible to be uncrittable and uncrushab without 490d?

Kelben
Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:05 pm

Is it possible to be uncrittable and uncrushab without 490d?

Is it possible to be uncrittable and uncrushable without 490 defense?

The reason I ask this is I was playing around with gear I accumulated.
And I was looking at would be good gear to wear for AoE farming...and it got me thinking... about block rating and block value.
I decided to toss on all my BR(Block Rating) and BV(Block Value) gear.

I kept my Gavel of unearthed secrets on.
My defense is 476.
My dodge/parry/block is 5.04%
My miss/to be critted is 5.04%
My dodge is 12.32%
My Parry is 15.04%
My block is 37.18%
My block value is for a block is 651 damage soaked
My avoidance is at 74.61% without Holy Shield
My avoidance is at 109.93% with HS(Holy Shield)

The last bit of info tells me or makes me think I am uncrushable and uncrittable. I have yet to test this in a instance. The reason I say that for the above is that I ran the macro on normal tanking gear and I get about 69ish avoidance and 104 or 103 avoidance wtih HS.


Here is what I used to find the avoidance

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combined avoidance. Currently at:",0.8,0.8,1)
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5+(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)*150/355 + 20)*0.04,1,0.5,0)


I forget where I grabbed that macro from but it seems correct.



I have almost all of Kara gear minus the shoulders from netherspite and no need for the shield.
I have my T5 shoulders
I have my T4 helm.gloves.shoulders.
I have all the Badge tanking gear minus the shield/both belts/the shoes/and the gloves(parry rating gloves)
I have Gruuls shield and the one from ZA


Here is what I have on currently.
T4 helm(Helm)(Skipped Socket Bonus)(+12/+1Cool
T4 shoulders(Shoulders)(+12 and +4D+6Stam) with socket of +4 stam.
Steam Hinge Chain of valor(neck)
Ironscale War Cloak(Cloak)
Panzar breastplate(Chest)(Skipped Socket Bonus)+12x3
Vambraces of courage(Bracers)(Skipped Socket Bonus)+12
Gauntlets of Maiden(Gloves)(Skipped Socket Bonus) (+12 and +4D+6Stam)
Crimson Girdle(Blet)(Skipped Socket Bonus)(+12SD and +12Stam)
Unwavering Legguards (+5Dodge+6Stam, +4D+6Stam, +12 stam) with socket of +6 stam.
Boots of the Protector(Boots)
Violent Ring Exalted(Ring)
Shermanar Ring(Ring)
Gnomer Auto-Blocker(Trinket)
Figurine of Colossus(Trinket)
Libram of Reptance (Libram)
Bulwark of the Amani(Shield)(Not socketed yet)

The chest has +10 abosorbtion ( was helping lowbie friend)
Gloves have +8 stamina.
Cloak has no enchant.
Everyhing else has +stamina or their respective defense enchant(I am aldor)
Weapon is not enchanted.

if you wish to look me up on armory here it is
(will insert later armory is taking long to load search for Kelben server is Deathwing Us.)


I assume this is the right place to post I don't think this is theorycrafting but I could be wrong.


Info on me is I have MTed all of Kara and help OT for Gruuls/TK(VR)/SSC(Lurker/Hyrdross(NR/FR Add Tank))



Oh and Hi.
kalbear
Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:23 pm
As long as holy shield has charges and is applicable, you're uncrittable.

Note that against 3-4 mobs, you will routinely run out of HS charges and even more routinely will be critted. If any are behind you, you'll be critted too. That, IMO, is not something worth niggling on the stats about.

The easiest way to fix this is to replace the gnomer trinket with a defense trinket. That should solve the issue nicely.
Kelben
Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:34 pm
I was just stating the gear of what I was wearing in case anyone was curious about the block rating and block value I had.

I did not take into account the HS being used up and probably very quickly if taking on more than one mob.

I would remain uncrushable for 8 blocks than I would be exposed to being crushed after HS expires or is used

Also I would remain uncrittable during HS. Thanks for the input I'll prob use this gear build for AoE farming. unless I find the lack of spell damage to be inherently low.
Kelben
Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
I am too lazy to farm arena points for Arena SD mace and using honor for SD mace, I use Gavel of unearthed secrest from LC, I also have the other 2 tanking swords the one from mech and kara. debating on spending DKP on the mallet of tides if lurker drops it...

I am holding out for the ZA SD mace, a SP got it when I was not OTing one night so I was unable to roll for it, though all other casters know I am rolling for it ( I hope they know as much as I talk about it).

@ Kalbear: now you stated I would remain uncrittable. after the charges ran out are you sure about that? I mean I know my avoidance before HS is 70+, but the few other people mentioned that I am crittable still. even if I have high block rating...
kalbear
Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:03 pm
Sorry; meant to say you'd be crittable.

I'd much, much, much rather farm honor for the S1 mace than I would farm rep for LC. Ugh. But you've already gotten it, so it's not that big an upgrade. BTW, you only need about 34 points of def rating to get to 490. You really should try; between gems, enchants and gear changes (like the above suggested) it shouldn't be that hard.
Kelben
Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:32 pm
oh I have the trinkets... dabris(sp) and adamintiun(sp) but let me restate that this is not my main tanking gear I listed...I have 500D with my main tanking gear on. by main tanking gear I mean the gear I tank in all the time....
Snake-Aes
Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:08 am
The attack table magic we do to be uncrushable works exactly the same for crits, you'll need the same number and stuff, but Defense's much safer to rely on, since if is 100% passive, works from any directions and when you're disabled. As much as I love my holy shield, it's still a shortlived buff. I'd rather not count on it for crits.


Plus, Defense is the cheapest stat to carry around until you reach the avoidance cornerstone.
_________________

Tank in Training, group utility perception was so much easier as a dpser <whines>
NarfJones
Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:53 am
You have to have 490 to be uncrittable. Crits are the first thing on the attack table and therefore have to be pushed off first with defense rating and resilience. Getting 102.4 avoidance works in eliminating crushing blows because they come after blocks on the hit table. Critical strikes, however, come before all of the avoidance.
_________________

http://theorycraftingforlosers.wordpress.com/
2ndNin
Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:09 am
102.4% avoidance as mentioned, however the lag issue related to HS is more important here than ever, as you can not only be crushed but critted. Basically, imo its not worth it considering how easy it is to get 490 compared to 102.4%, a lucky trash on prince could deal 18K+ if you were crittable, its just not worth the risk really.
_________________
Ahh, but you have heard of me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria
Agravaine
Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:02 pm
Can you be uncritable/uncrushable without 490 defense?

Theoretically, yes. If you fill up your avoidance+block to 102.4% regardless of your defense, you'll be uncritable/uncrushable.

In PvE you cannot have a blocked crit