Skip to content
Maintankadin

5 man vs. Raiding

heymonge
Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:00 pm

5 man vs. Raiding

Little help here.

Uncrushable - Great for MT - level 73 Bosses (Right?) Hit 490 Def, 102.4% Avoidance - Be A MT

5-man - Uncrushable - ...uselss?

That's what I am thinking. What I'd like to know is:

In a 5 man what stats should I carry and why?
I assume being uncrushable is not "important" becuase I need to assure that I'm getting hit and healed to keep up mana regen for holding the mobs in the run. So this would cause me to stack high armor, high stam and spell damage. (Afterwards...is Spell hit?)

If I'm OT in Kara what stats should I stack?
Uncrushable would be a "nice" thing. But overall lowering the chance of being uncrushable is good enough...meaning carry a heavier amount of spell damage and stam with a strong avoidance %?

My situation:

I'm having to prove to my guild that a prot pallie is a "viable option" not "just a novelty". I got to be a OT for Kara (Fun times) with no issue. (Cept if I'm not tanking...I go OOM faster then a Boomkin!).

Running 5 mans I do okay unless "Phat DPS" come..then I have issues holding aggro and keeping mana pool up.

Heroics - I can do okay but I struggle a bit with the same issue above.

So there it is all on the table. Please advise.
Worldie
Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:31 pm
Uncrushable is -not- useless in 5 men. Will grant you that every hit you take will be blocked, and so
1) Mitigated
2) Generating threat

Don't bother spellhit. If you tank something that you outgear, either downgrade gear, take down some pieces, or stack spelldamage. My non-heroic 5 men tanking set has very low avoidance (less than 90% total) but high spelldam (600-700), ensuring that even if i go oom, i have generated so much threat that i could go afk and not lose any mob.
_________________

Evangelina
Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:22 pm
what kind of gear do you have to reach around 600 spelldamage ? I mean can I gear myself like that by farming regular 5 men ? or is it from heroics/raids ?
_________________
Naxxramas
Worldie
Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:37 pm
Far ahead of that, full t5 and such.

With Karazhan level gear u should be able to get about 300ish spelldam unbuffed if using every spelldamage item available to a tankadin. More than enough to substain the aggro of same geared DPS.

Obviously if you are trying to counter the aggro of T6 DPS in T4, you will fail most likely.
_________________

Melathys
Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:47 pm
I'm actually looking at getting the lamellar pvp set for tanking 5 mans. People may say "OMG, no avoidance, ur retarded"...but with its outstanding stamina, armor and spell dmg, I think it would be superb for 5 mans, and the lack of avoidance makes it even better, as maybe you'll actually take damage and not go oom so quick during every pull. Not to mention that there are plenty of other slots not covered by arena gear, lol. (and with all that resilience, you better be damn uncrittable).
_________________
heymonge
Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:22 am

Taking her back

Okay back to the question at hand.

For Kara - I juiced up a little since my last post.

I'm at 509 Def, 11K health, and 12K armor. I got to be MT cause the warrior was undergeared.

My healers were definatley pushing themseves...(Died 5 times cause they got distracted.)

However same gear and stats going into Heroic Mech - I got worked over hardcore. Heroic SP was nothing, but Mech...?

So the pally healer chews me out cause "I'm not geared" yet I can hold my own in Kara.

So all this to say what is my Raid gear suppose to look like as opposed to my 5 man heroic gear?

From what I read the following is my understanding:

Raid : 490 Def (Uncritable), Avoidance 102.4%, Stack Stam and Armor (11K and 12K respectively), +200 Spell damage. After that keep stacking armor and stam.

5-man: 490 Def, Avoidance (more then zero), "high amount" of Armor/Stam (undefined), Spell damage 200+.

If someone good give me solid goals for 5 man, or help explain why Raid gear isn't cutting it in Heroics, that would be peachy!
_________________
Faylinn
Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:41 am
You need 485 Def for heroics as the max mob/boss level is 72.

Some of the Heroic trash and bosses hit as hard as kara trash/bosses, only you have 1 healer, not 2 or 3...
I find myself on some Heroics (BF) having to ware my raid gear for the extra stam and mitigation. Giving the healers time to react (or just cast)
And CC is very valuable...
_________________

Bouncelot 60 Human Paladin - StormScale
Guillex
Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:44 am
It's most likely the healer you're running with, or the way you're pulling.

You shouldn't (rather, only situationally) be AoE-tanking things in Heroics... Not unless you outgear the instance/have a SICK healer.

*shrug*
_________________
Official thread killer

Melathys
Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:11 pm
Heroics can, at times, seem much harder than full blown raid encounters.
_________________