Skip to content
Maintankadin

Threat problems - too much?

Aleriya
Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Threat problems - too much?

I keep causing raid wipes because I pull aggro off of the other tanks unintentionally, usually while trying to tank adds with consecration.

On Hydross, consecrate damage keeps pulling Hydross off of the warrior MT and unto me. It'll go like this:

Warrior tanks Hydross at the start. At the first transition, I end up with 3 adds plus Hydross. I tank Hydross until the next transition, and I end up with 3 adds plus Hydross again. Eventually I die (no resist gear Sad) and the raid wipes. Warriors yell at me.

I try my darndest not to consecrate on top of Hydross, but it is difficult to keep the adds under control and near enough to Hydross to AE them all simultaneously. I don't see how it's possible for me to be tanking Hydross through an entire transition off of consecrate alone tho . . . unless I'm an idiot and there is some other mechanic going on here. I'm not swinging at the boss at all. I've been avoiding AS because of the unpredictable bounces that can accidentally hit the boss.

Now on Kael I'm running into the same problem. I aggro too many of the weapons and make things difficult on our healers. The warrior tanks don't exactly have the best threat generation I've ever seen . . . heck, I'd only consider my threat generation to be "average." So, am I being a nub or do our warriors need a kick in the pants?
_________________
Mortehl
Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:17 pm
Your warriors fail, simple as that. Mathematically, consecration does ROUGHLY 360-460 TPS depending on spell damage and how quickly you reapply. If mobs are turning on you and sticking (meaning all the passive aggro generation is getting added in), they are doing something VERY wrong.
_________________
I r can pull now plz?
Koln
Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:22 pm
If you outgear the warriors, you could try downranking your consecration.
_________________
kalbear
Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Try putting some aggro on the adds first without using consecrate. Then move them. Hit one with a JoR, tab to the second, when you can rejudge, tab to the third. That should at least give you enough initial threat to get them to follow you away. Then drop consecrate.

Though...it really seems like the warrior's not doing enough TPS on Hydross. Downranking might be your friend here; use consecrate to get the adds interested in you at rank 1 and then tab-attack them with judgments to keep them going for a while. It's not perfect, but it's likely better than the alternative.
Yeti
Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:34 pm
I have heard that having a hunter MD an add to a tank also helps on transitions.

Any OT's available to help round them up? Maybe waiting a few seconds before Consecrating will give your slacker warrior tank enough of a threat lead on Hydross.
Lolpaladins
Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:20 pm
The other thing you can/should try doing is wearing about 100 resist in both Nature and Frost resistance (while still maintaining uncrittable after resilience/defense).

After buffs it'll be respectable amounts of each resistance. Your threat will naturally decrease a little bit assuming you're going to have to drop a bit of spelldamage to stay uncrittable, but the less damage that you take will more than make up for it.

If 100 seems a bit high, at least aim for 2 pieces of resist gear of each type as a minimum for add tanking.

But yea, as far as too many weapon's go. That's definitely your warriors failing at life.
_________________
Zhelari
Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:51 pm
I had a slight issue with this last night as well. I wasn't holding Hydross, but I did pull it off of the frost tank twice. We pull all adds on Hydross and aoe them down and I have never pulled off a tank before.

The first time was coupled with the use of avenging wrath. I chalked that one up to too much threat with a few unlucky misses/dodge/parries from the MT. The second time I'm not so sure. It actually almost wiped the raid as I bubbled when Hydross started attacking me and aggro went to a mage next. It came very close to giving us an unwanted transition.

Both cases were early into a new phase, so it is possible that the tank had some unlucky swings off the start.


....heal a lifetapped warlock....I should try this out. It works so well on Tidewalker, I'm not sure why I don't use it other places. Shocked
_________________
Zhelari - 70 BE Tankadin - Skullcrusher (US)
Jarkeld
Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:04 pm
maybe try and help your warriors generate more aggro? make sure they'r saving up 100 rage for the transitions so they can unload with shield slam and heroic strike at the same time, and make sure they're not wasting time casting shield block as it doesn't do anything
_________________
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made mana people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Jarkeld