Skip to content
Maintankadin

Healers forgetting you're a tank?

PapaNasty
Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Healers forgetting you're a tank?

Just wondering how many others experience this problem?

People are often used to having warrior tanks, even feral druids they are often used to, but I have joined a new guild recently and am finding that I'm dying much more often than the warriors even though I'm packing more avoidance (6% more than the MT) and only around 1k less life than the MT.

I work on the assumption that the 1k less life and the 6% more avoidance kinda cancel each other out, and likewise the 4% less dmg because he's a warrior vs harder to crush as a pally kinda cancel each other out.

However I die more often.....

During VR I was the first tank to die on every attempt, likewise vs Grull I was offtanking and died before the hateful strikes even got to 50% of my life.


The conclusion which I've reached, is that the healers aren't used to healing a pally.... they mouse over icons and just see a pink color and think I'm another healer.... so don't bother to heal me, guess they figure I'll just heal myself so why waste their mana.....

Does anyone else think that this is happening to them aswell when they are offtanking (When I MT Leo it's never a problem, just when I OT)? That their heals are delayed or non existant because people just don't realise that we are a tank.....
_________________
Maranus
Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:04 pm
Get new healers.
_________________

You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Joanadark
Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:39 pm
A large number of some of the more popular make-healing-easy-mode addons directly contribute to that kinda thing in the way they are set up and prejudiced. It can get incredibly dumb sometimes. This is one of the big reasons why I dislike play-the-game-for-you mods.
_________________
"Misunderstanding the Tankadin is forgivable.

In many ways we are still learning to understand ourselves."

www.joanadark.tankspot.com
Aurica
Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:44 pm
Yea I have the same problem... I'm not sure whats wrong with our healers, but they have problems topping up the tanks in Vashj phase 1.

When I am tanking nagas also I notice I don't get healed for 3-5 seconds before I'm killed. Maybe they got feared by striders or were too busy passing items around
_________________
Oramac
Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:30 am
i still say a polite little mention over vent is really effective.

i usually say something like "you know that neat pally with the pink name and lots of guy beating the crap out of him? yea he kinda needs heals."

make it like a joke kinda thing, but still sorta serious. most healers will get the idea, and the ones that dont will figure it out eventually.

and like all of you, i was a healbot preBC. i hated watching my tank die, so it does help to have healers assigned to you.
_________________
Aerron
Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:32 am
I've seen this happen twice, though not to me.

First time was when my guild got a new druid OT, which we'd never had before. Many, many times we had to say "so-and-so is a tank too ..."

The next time was on VR with our first pally tank. We usually let the healers figure out their own heal assignments and then put them into raidchat so we know what's what. All the tanks had healers assigned ... except for the Paladin. I had to ask "who's healing X?" and they were sort of dumbfounded. Even the Paladin healers. One of them even said something like "oh, we thought he'd take care of himself ..." Um, no?

I think, as others mentioned, there's still alot of prejudices on the part of players. Our DPS warrior for a time got more heals than our Paladin Tank. As if the healers were looking at their Grid going, "okay, who's brown ..."
_________________


I think my cat is a communist. He's always talking to me about Mao.
Afraithe
Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:24 am
Yea at start it was actually a big problem, but now I think the problem belongs to our Druid tank, he can dodge shit for ages, so ppl don't hot him up or anything, and as soon as he get a string of bad luck he is dead, even tho he has 24k+ hp.
_________________
Everlight
Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:08 pm
I have to say, I never had this problem - but I think it's because most of my guild's healers rolled with me as the tank in 5-mans before we hit raids so were accustomed to healing me regardless.

Heck, I still get heals spammed on me when I'm not tanking now Razz
_________________
Zen Tanking - http://zentanking.blogspot.com
Rasmfrackn
Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:36 pm
I've finally come around to using the built-in tank assignments for blizzard's raid UI. I was having this same problem on void reaver, and the healers were complaining about trying to follow tank swaps in general, so I just set us as MTs and let them pull out the list.

-- This is especially useful if you try to optimize your groups. If your warrior tanks get windfury, and your bears get grace of air, and your tankadins get a shadow priest and wrath of air... you can't just assume the tanks are all in group 1. Smile
_________________
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server