Skip to content
Maintankadin

Threat Ceiling in Extreme End Game - Am I Alone?

Lansky
Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:34 am

Threat Ceiling in Extreme End Game - Am I Alone?

I've hit a glass ceiling, brick wall, whatever. My threat gear cannot improve, while being reasonable, beyond upgrading my weapon which would not net a huge increase either. Since its Tuesday I'll start with what I mean when I comment on my gear.

Helm - T6
Neck - Brooch of Deftness
Shoulders - T6
Back - Drape of the Righteous
Chest - T6
Wrist - The Seeker's Wristguards - 15 SD enchant
Gloves - T6 - 2% Threat
Belt - Girdle of Mighty Resolve
Pants - T6
Boots - Tide-Stomper's Greaves
Ring1 - Seventh Ring of the Tirisfalen - 12 SD enchant
Ring2 - Exalted - Band of the Etneral Defender
Trinket 1 - Icon of the Silver Crescent
Trinket 2 - Hex Shrunker Head
Weapon - Hammer of Judgement - 40 SD
Shield - Antonidas's Aegis of Rapt Concentration
If not noted items are gemmed and enchanted with stamina and/or avoidance stats.

This is about as much as i can sacrafice for spell damage/threat and still be able to tank any relevant. Dropping more gear becomes silly as I get knocked around like a rag doll. Yet after all of this on non undead/demon mobs I am limiting our dps. Yes that's right my TPS is still too low. Our warlocks, spriests, and to a lesser extent warriors and enhance shaman are capable of riding my ass and have to hold back against non excorism susceptible mobs. This would not be noteworthy if our resident warrior tanks shared this issue. They don't. When our MT goes into his threat gear (every expertise item in game and an emphasis on BV as well) his threat generation not only outpaces mine on a single target but the dps can't touch him. On Teron he holds a solid 15-25% lead over the dps the entire fight. I average around 975-1.1k TPS while he is able to pull down 1.2-1.4k TPS in threat based gear.

I am curious if any other T6 level prot paladins are having similar issues.



As a side note I still output similar threat to him when it comes to threat production when our gear emphasizes mitigation/avoidance/stam and not threat production. This issue has only arised recently as we are burning through T6 content in 1.5 nights and have begun using the highest TPS tank on each boss, which much to the raid's surprise has been our convential warrior MT even on fast hitting bosses.

Additionally no matter how many times I edit this and read over I can't figure out how to ask this question without sounding like a pretencious dick with nothing else to worry about.
_________________
Lansky BE Paladin Mannoroth
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&n=Lansky
Agravaine
Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:48 am
You are almost certainly not alone, whether people will admit to it is a different question. I've noticed an alarming trend of Paladins (and Warriors) not dealing with facts about TPS, but just epeen boasting.

I personally share your concern. People typically point to faster scaling of threat from Holy Damage versus the slower scaling of physical damage.

What really matters in the end whether our threat scales as fast per iLvL stat point. Spell Damage is more expensive than Block Value, and moreover, it's not like we don't ALSO need Block Value -- we just don't need it for threat.

Out of curiousity, what is your spell damage from gear, enchants and consumables when in threat gear?
kalbear
Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:48 am
I think that's just how it is right now. Paladin threat scales, but it doesn't scale enough to catch up with a warrior and it certainly doesn't scale as much as DPS does. Warriors (especially after 2.3) are the masters of single-target threat generation. It helps a lot that some of their tanking stats pull double duty as threat generators, but some of it is just innate abilities.

Paladin tanks were made viable. But they aren't the best around at everything, and that's one place where they're lacking compared to warriors.
Ferrosis
Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:12 am
Sounds like you have 3 choices:

1. Cope with not being the highest threat;
2. Respec for increased threat; or
3. Regem/reenchant for increased threat.

You are missing precision, that alone should increase your threat by approximately an additional 3% (or would it be 3.48% - as resists would go from 17% down to 14% causing damage to go from 83 to 86% of maximum); EDIT: Was looking at an old armory apparently as armory is currently showing you with it.

Furthermore, the same effect would be experienced by increasing your spell hit through gems and enchants.

Just as 2% threat to gloves makes sense over +20 spell damage when your TPS exceeds 600ish tps, so would gemming/enchanting/gearing for more spell hit - when you hit annother threshold value. You might be over that threshold value and now more spell hit increases tps more than mere spell damage.
Lore
Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:28 am
Warrior threat got a pretty huge buff recently, our Warrior has been putting out a little bit more threat than I have lately. It's kinda frustrating =\
_________________
Uther would have rolled a Blood Elf.
Ohmslaw
Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 pm
If you guys run with a ret pally, maybe drop it in your group? That would add a pretty decent bump. I don't think it would be the 200tps you would need to match the warrior tho.
_________________
Utena
Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:41 pm
Just a note: you've got at least some room for growth.

Vengeful Gladiator's Gavel

+11 more spell damage
1.60 speed -- makes a bigger difference if you're spec'd reckoning
_________________
Mortehl
Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:42 pm
Wow, another Mannoroth Prot tank I never met.

Hiya Lansky. We need to annoy each other in Shat or something Razz
_________________
Widdox
Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:42 pm
I tend to agree that where paladin threat is awesome in T4 or below, it starts to fall off as other classes get better geared. I'm starting to notice our warrior MT who was having serious threat issues is starting to catch up as time goes on. He hasn't passed me yet but its starting to get closer.

Unfortunately I dont see this changing.
Lore
Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:42 pm
Couple other thoughts: I'm assuming you run with a Shadow Priest, but if not, their 5% Misery debuff will increase your threat by a good deal (it'll increase your caster's threat as well but does nothing for the Warrior so it's helpful for that comparison).

You can also use some different consumables/buffs to up your spell damage; Adepts Elixir + Elixir of Major Fortitude instead of a Flask of Fortification, chain-pot Destruction Potions, get a Shaman to drop you Wrath of Air totem, there's probably another thing or two I'm forgetting.
_________________
Uther would have rolled a Blood Elf.
Widdox
Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:54 pm
I find that I have to educate the raid leaders to stack a group for me. I always end up in the MT group getting a shaman using windfury. On Void Reaver is the one fight where I get to make my own group and I love it! Currently in my guild I'm still the highest TPS tank we have and during the VoidReaver Fight I sit at 600+dmg before AW, spelldmg trinket, destuction pot, Wrath of Air etc.