Skip to content
Maintankadin

New fear mechanics - deadly ?

Extermi
Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:52 pm

New fear mechanics - deadly ?

Just wondering. I was believing that he new fear mechanics, where the Boss stays on you even when you are feared, is a huge plus for paladin tanks in general.

Now, we were paying a visit to Gruul a few hours ago. Normally, I put on a mix of healing and Def gear, tank Olm together with an Off warrior (taking turns in being feared) and then I grab my healing mace and flash the Raufgar tank.

Today, I was tanking Raufgar however (without problems, I should note) but the Paladin who was assigned to tank Olm died on 3 or 4 attempts and we had to abort the Raid - putting blame on him.

Now, combat logs revealed he was simply killed when being feared, with something like 8 strikes that all connected. And, he was wearing Def gear, much better stats than at least my mix set I used. We had no other tank that could handle Raufgar today so I could not swap the spot, but Im wondering if this really is a change for good.

Any other experiences with being hit while feared ?

Extermi
fuzzygeek
Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:08 pm
You're running away from the mob, so getting hit in the back of the head = bad things.
_________________
kalbear
Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:11 pm
When feared you lose basically all of your avoidance. No block, no parry. That's bad. If he's being feared regularly and needs to face something that does fear regularly, he needs to deal with it the same way he deals with Nightbane - pvp fear trinket, DScancel macro, BoPcancel macro. And possibly fear ward if you can do it.
Alixander
Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:11 pm
Fix: More heals on the feared tank. Even then, it's still better than the fearing mob running over to the nearest clothie and one shotting them. Our plate allows us to at least survive a few of those hits, and once the healers realize that getting feared is just like getting stunned as far as incoming damage goes (think the drunk/stun effect on the guys in Moroes room) everything should be peachy.
_________________


My Blog: http://kazielmmo.blogspot.com/
Worldie
Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:22 pm
A crushed tank is better than a crushed rogue.


I personally like the fact that the first boss in SH doesn't kill my healer anymore after the Death Coil.
_________________

Merise
Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:09 pm
Is this only for bosses. I thought this would apply to all mobs and was disappointed to find that the fearing mobs in the later part of heroic SP still race off to beat up my healer.
_________________
Igrado
Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:37 pm
I'm pretty damn certain its all mobs. I noticed angry mobs consistently chasing me in heroic Sethekk Halls today.
Mithos
Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:03 pm
It is rather deadly on hard hitting bosses yes, archimonde, if tank eats a fear, he would (pre 2.3) just happily run away and gank a ranged person or something (or you could evasion tank him if he went to a rogue :>) but now he will splat the tank in 3 or so hits, which is a rather worse situatio to be in.
_________________

Juliette
Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:36 pm
Tanking Drek is now fun. No more green-geared Warriors trying to taunt him off me for no reason other than envy.
_________________
Zhalseran
Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:55 pm
What most people dont seem to understand is that avoiding the fear is still very much preferable. Unless your a bear, you are going to get ripped apart while that mob is chasing you
_________________
Afraithe
Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:32 am
We had our tank miss a stance dance on Archimonde yesterday, tank survived, and we still downed him, had he gone for a melee we would most likely have wiped.

MH cleared in 1 raid Smile
_________________
Mithos
Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:26 am
Hehe well I guess it won't *always* be fatal, but it is never ideal :p. Depends on the mob I suppose, I thought archi would be the worst but maybe not. Say on nightbane (Just guessing) if you ran into the raid and he did cleave etc that would certainly be fatal to your attempt.
_________________

Vagrant
Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:54 am
I was very agitated when i found out that the Fel Overseers in Shadow Labyrinth still go for other people after they cast intimidating shout and i become feared.
I immediately /who'd 70 paladins and saw one fellow tankadin in Steamvault.
I asked whether s/he has noticed any fear changes there, but s/he reported no problems.
The first boss of SL (Hellmaw) however did stay on me during fears when there also were people who resisted it.
_________________
Nord EU
Magnusharkov
Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:30 am
I noticed the mobs in heroic SP still *sometimes* left me on fears. seems a bit unreliable tbh
_________________