Skip to content
Maintankadin

Thoughts on OTing??

Falkor
Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:41 pm

Thoughts on OTing??

Hey guys, I have been utilizing this forum to learn a great many things, for that I thank you all.

My question at hand is how to effectively maintain threat as an OT. I have seen some posts that kind of touch the subject but would love to see some solid input if anyone cares to. The challenge I have had is in relation to maintaining mana to continue to supply my threat generation, so comments in that regard would be fantastic.

Also, my armory is usually my supplicant farming gear so don't think that's what I tank in (Close though).
_________________
fiorina
Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:15 pm
which fight?
what average gear/itemlevel are DPS'ers?
_________________
Falkor
Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:20 pm
Ultimately planning ahead for ZA. Gear will mostly be top Kara gear for DPS some even higher.

I don't know that a particular fight will help... more a concept on how to maintain threat management without the constant mana regen from taking damage.

From what I am reading ZA will need two tanks not a tank and a DPS Warrior or something. My guild is planning ZA runs but I suspect that if I got slotted it would be to OT... in either case the guild has an impression that Pallies can't really OT... so I need to figure out how to maintain my threat as an OT...

Thanks for the reply... and sorry I didn't give enough detail... trying to keep it simple Smile
_________________
fiorina
Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:04 pm
There is no boss in ZA which require being #2 in threat.
_________________
Kithys
Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:56 pm
From what I understand, in ZA there is a boss that does an attack that does a massive amount of damage, but is split up between all players within melee range. As such you don't need to be #2 in threat, you just have to be standing next to the other tank to split the damage with him. That is just what I remember reading from a while back, so I may be wrong.
_________________

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zul%27jin&n=Kithys
Falkor
Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:03 am
Interesting, that I did not know. What about bosses like Moroes for example ( I AE Tank him now... but just sayin). If I were to OT him how would you recommend I do it?
_________________
Fearonir
Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:44 am
I'd recommend grabbing an add or two to pound on your to get some mana back from SA.
_________________
hypetech
Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:03 pm
I would be interested in how to keep my threat up while OT on Void Reaver.
Kitria
Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:44 pm
Judge Wisdom, SoV stack + judgement, exorcism as mana allows. It's usually plenty of threat to stay second.
_________________
fiorina
Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:02 am
Exorcism is not a good idea.

It depends on the gear level of your DPS.
It's essential you start tanking as a first one.
- I assume your DPS is in early SSC gear, so aim for 350+ spelldmg
- you will have MD on pull so you will have time to judge crusader
- don't worry to downgrade your gear to get more spell damage, he don't hit hard at all

If they won't you let start tanking as a first one - for various reasons, your goal is to steal aggro in first 20 seconds. If you won't be able to, you generally won't be able to get enough mana from poundings to be #2 in threat, assuming your tanks don't have down syndrom and your DPS is not on anesthetics after the lobotomy. Basicly:
- even more spell damage, flask of blinding light etc. 500+
- wings, then destruction potion at the beginning, don't judge crusader, go max threat
- even if warrior will get misdirection, you will be able to steal aggro after first ~20 seconds, then just continue as mentioned above

If your DPS guys are bored itemlvl150 monkeys, then go even more for spelldmg, 900+ :)

Good luck
_________________
Joanadark
Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:02 pm
you can't exorcism VR.


It's noteworthy that Exorcism has the best "threat/mana spent" ratio right now, at baseline.
Consecration, however, benefits from the best scaling of any of your arsenal, making it's "threat/mana" ratio eventually come out on top.

I dont remember off the top of my head what the cross-over point is in +damage.
_________________
"Misunderstanding the Tankadin is forgivable.

In many ways we are still learning to understand ourselves."

www.joanadark.tankspot.com
Ghinzu
Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:16 am
Hi guys, I'm pretty new in tanking with my pally.

I was wondering how it is possible to stay #2 in aggro list on Gruul, for instance.

I'm mean, I guess mana shouldn't be an issue with Hurtful Strike, but how to stay #2 with no reactive threat ?