Skip to content
Maintankadin

Boss Hit Cap???

Jayson
Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Boss Hit Cap???

Alright, maybe this belongs in the Basic Training forums, but I was seeing like, "How much Def for critless?" And I think this topic a bit beyond that.

Obviously as a tank, the fewer times you "miss" your target, the better your threat generation. My question is two-fold. First, what is the cap for hit when swinging sword and board. Second, where is the math/reasoning behind that percentage. I have heard such numbers as 6%, 8%, and 9%. The one that I've seen that had the best logical supposrt was 6% and that was based on 5% base miss on lvl 70 with 5 Def per lvl adding up to about 6% on a lvl 73 boss. (Or something to that effect, my memory fails me.)

I would love to know the answer to this, and yes, I know that missing as a pally tank only removes SoR or SoV threat and hence isn't huge, but humor me.

P.S. A 2h weapon has the same miss chance as a single 1h weapon, correct? For the sake of my Ret respecs ; ]
Fridmarr
Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:50 pm
http://www.wowwiki.com/Hit is probably your best source for data on this topic. It'll be somewhat dated when 2.3 releases (assuming it's not updated when that happens) because of the changes in weapon skill and the new expertise rating, but I believe the core of it has the information you are looking for.
_________________
Jarkeld
Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:13 am
The calculations for defense difference changes if the mob is 3+ levels above you.
Current testing seems to indicate that if you have 350 waepon skill, against a boss you have an 8.6% chance to miss. This is both with a two hander and with a one hander+shield.
If you have 355+ weapon skill, (3 points in weapons expertise, or are human), it seems your chance to miss is reduced to about 5.5%. After 355 weapon skill, each additional skill point only provides 0.1% to hit. This is changing in 2.3 with the change of weapon skill rating to the combat expertise, which is good as it reduces your chance to be parried, and dodged increasing aggro and reducing spike damage caused via parries.

Edit: 9.0% chance to miss, not 8.6%, my bad, was looking at the wrong number.
_________________
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made mana people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Jarkeld
Quean
Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:19 am
So...will it be possible to remove parries with enough expertise... or, in other words, will being at the "expertise cap" make it so you can't be parried or dodged, and the only time your attacks dont land is when you miss? that would be awesome for tanks and melee dps alike...melee wouldn't have to worry about where they are (excluding cleaves and the like) and tanks wouldnt have to worry about getting parry-owned Very Happy
any evidence on how this will work?
also, are there any numbers about a ?? boss's chance to dodge/parry?
_________________
Kombo
Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:28 am
well +hit can reduce misses, so (theoreticly at least) dps can gear to the point where they always hit.
_________________
Kombo - Dreanor - Respecaholic Priest

490 def at 64, next goal, uncrushable to a 73 before 70
Quean
Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:32 am
There's a 99% cap on hit though....at least for spells, there is, I don't know about melee, but I would guess it's the same. Please correct me if I'm wrong with that.
And if that is the case with hitting/missing, will the same apply for Expertise's effect on parry/dodge or will those be allowed to go to 0%?
Edit: because of the reasons in my previous post, if dodge and (in particular) parry can be removed, it allows more flexibility for melee dps and provides a small, yet potentially important type of spike damage prevention for the tank.
_________________
Jarkeld
Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:47 am
It IS possible to never see a 'miss' if you reach the hit cap on physical attacks. There is no 99% cap like on spells.
The current conversion is ~3.9 weapon skill rating=1 weapon skill point.
In the next patch, with the same values, 1 combat expertise skill point will reduce the chance for dodges and parries by 0.25%.
http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t11885-rogue_warrior_weapon_skill_adjustment_discussion/p2/
post 32 seems to indicate bosses have a ~5% dodge chance and ~12% parry change against melee attacks. So in order to get enough combat expertise skill rating, to see 0 dodges, you will need 78 rating, in order to see 0 parries, you will need 187.2 rating.
_________________
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made mana people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Jarkeld
Quean
Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:50 am
Ah, ok...so if you stack enough hit and expertise, you will be able to land every single attack post-2.3?
Going to make a MS warrior, brb! =p
_________________
Gerilith
Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:01 am
The ElitistJerks guys did a empirical research that confirmed the number of exact 9% melee hit.

The base chance of bosses to block/parry/dodge still is 5% each and with 20 points of expertise you will theoretically be able to reduce parry and dodge to zero (but unreachable atm).

-> 9% hit + 20 expertise would mean that every swing hits. There is no 99% hitcap for melee attacks.
_________________

Cauze blizzard begins to let healing suck.
Lore
Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:24 am
Boss parry chance is definitely higher than 5%. Most WWS reports show the tank getting parried a good 10-15% of the time.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Utena
Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:12 am
+hit and +spell hit help tanking, but I think you should still prioritize your avoidance/mitigation.

More hits = more threat. I would prioritize more hit (and more +spell dmg) only if I was having problems holding threat as MT.

In comparison to wars and bears, I think we are kings of threat. It's our avoidance/mitigation that isn't superlative.
_________________
My new 0/46/15 build
kalbear
Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:15 pm
I think that's a reasonable point, though a warrior could decide to improve damage instead of HP, I suspect that if you look at all the various consumables paladins have more choices and thus more variety. I was talking more of a similarly-geared type; given the same stam/HP/gear availability, a warrior will out-TPS a paladin over time. The flexibility is nice, and a warrior can't (for instance) get block value via eating something.