Skip to content
Maintankadin

TPS to Spell Damage conversion?

Aerron
Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:24 am

TPS to Spell Damage conversion?

Did a Search for this topic, but came up with 48 pages that included any of the above terms and none really seemed to be what I am after. Apologies in advanced if I missed an appropriate thread.

My question is for the number crunchers among us. I've seen various threads that discuss how much TPS a given amount of spell damage does, but what I need to know is if a conversion exists for TPS gear that perhaps does not directly contain Spell Damage, to figure out the equivalent SpD.

For example: The Darkmoon Vengeance card does X amount of Holy Damage, based on a % proc. So say I'm wearing the card, and with the rest of my gear, have something like 230 Spell Damage ... how much SpD should I count towards the card? IE, how much Spell Damage can I go without, wearing the Card?

When I'm calculating a decent balance on my gear, trying to keep a good ratio between Stam, Avoidance/Mitigation and Threat, how much SpD should a given amount of TPS from a non-Spell Damage item count for? Obviously, the Conversion would be somewhat different for Holy damage items (Vengeance card) as opposed to other similar items (Lichen shield).

Again, sorry if this question has been asked a million times and I missed it. The Search engine was not amused with my request.
Quean
Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:31 am
While it's not exactly relevant, I got The Lightning Capacitor on my mage last night, and I was wondering the same thing...how much +damage that proc-based trinket is actually worth.

I imagine if anyone can answer your questions, I can ninja the results to figure out mine Wink
_________________
jere
Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:05 am
Well, the current number / relationship being tossed around is:

0.63*spell_dmg = TPS

So you could say that:

spell_dmg = TPS/0.63 = 1.5873*TPS

So if you calculate your TPS, I guess you could see how much spell dmg that would account for.
_________________
Agravaine
Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm
I think in practice, the relationship between spell damage and TPS is weaker (as I've tried to show in the stickied thread). My best guess is that you gain about 1 TPS for every 2 spell damage.

There are a couple reasons for this:

(1) you can't absorb enough damage and correspondingly be healed for enough mana to indefinitely maintain a maximum threat cycle.

(2) you suffer partial resists

Of course, your actual gains in threat from spell damage are effected by other spell casting variables -- like spell crit and spell hit. So, while at my current values of spell crit and spell hit, I only get 0.5*SD -> TPS with better spell casting values, the relationship improves.
Afraithe
Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:52 am
Do you include Shield blocks with Holy Shield up in these calculations?

Anyone know the exact threat produced by one shield block with 400 spelldamage?

Assuming 250 damage when you block.
250*1.9*1.35 = 641.25?
_________________
Drusus
Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:56 pm
I wear the darkmoon card for the stam, the holy dmg is an added bonus so I would keep it on regardless of SPD.
_________________