Skip to content
Maintankadin

Block Value vs Block Rating

Lightbeard
Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:16 am

Block Value vs Block Rating

I still get confused between the difference would someone help explain
Levantine
Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:33 am
Block rating means you will block more often.

Block value means you will absorb more damage when you do block an attack.

[edit] I spell gud, lulz.
_________________
Soulbreaker
Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:25 am
Block Rating = Avoidance

Block Value = mitigation
_________________
Warrender
Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:36 am
Block Rating increases your chance to block.

Block Value increases the amount of damage you absorb when you do block.
_________________
Sinthoras
Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:59 am
And which is more important to have ?
In the char sheet is "block" value shown, what does this value exactly mean? Is it the combination of both? This value in the sheet, how high should it be for lvl 70 instances normal mode?
xyzor
Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:03 am
If you are still at the point where you are trying to reach/maintain uncrushability, Block Rating is FAR more important. If you are more into the endgame content and are AoE tanking large numbers of hard-hitting mobs, it is time to go after Block Value.

IMO, Block Value is for Warriors, since their Shield Slam is modified by it. I know BV is the new FotM around here, but let's not kid ourselves...
_________________
Invisusira
Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:09 am
They are both good to have; for the most part, however, you want Block Rating.

Block Rating adds in with Parry, Dodge, and your chance that the monster will miss you to give you a total "avoidance" rating. In your Defenses tab, they "Block" you see is your block rating. Most people have it around 20% at L70, give or take. Keep in mind that when you hit Holy Shield, this number will jump up quite a bit - Holy Shield increases your Block Rating by and extra 30% (more if you have special gear like the libram from heroic badges.

Block VALUE increases the amount you can block. This is not as important for Paladins; warriors get extra aggro generation out of it. For us, it's more useful as an AoE stat. That is, when we go out and farm by killing 100 mobs at the same time, most of us have a whole bunch of +block VALUE gear that we put on because it minimizes damage from lots of little monsters.
_________________
armory | youtube | stuff
Eneroth
Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:11 am
Yeah at this point in my gear, I am looking to get more Block Value from my gear. I am far above the 102.4% needed to be uncrushable, and would like to get more block valute gear. Right now I think I only block for 440ish or so, can't remember, but I want to block for allot more.
_________________
Kombo
Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:34 pm
Real damage = Unmitigated damage * any modifier before armor (in this case Righteous Fury) * Mitigation from armor - Block Value

The formula for armor mitigation is 1 - ( Armor / (Armor + 467.5 * Enemy_Level - 22167.5))

So say your a tankadin with 11000 armor, and 500 block value against a boss that hits for 5000 each hit.

Real damage = 5000 * .94 * (1-(11000/(11000 + 467.5 * 73 - 22167.5))) - 500
Real damage = 4750 * (1-(11000/22960)) - 500
Real damage = 4750 * (1-(0.47909)) - 500
Real damage = 4750 * 0.52 - 500
Real damage = 2470 - 500
Real damage = 1970

So now lets add 1 to the block value

Real damage = 2470 - 501
Real damage = 1969

Easy right, now lets use this damage to solve for armor with the same out put damage, but the original block value

Armor = (11960 * ((RF * Unmitigated damage) - (Real damage + original Block value))/(RF * Unmitigated damage))/((Real damage + original Block value)/(RF * Unmitigated damage))
Armor = (11960 * ((0.94 * 5000) - (1969 + 500))/(0.94 * 5000))/((1969 + 500)/(0.94 * 5000))
Armor = (11960 * (4750 - 2469)/4750)/(2469/4790)
Armor = 11960 * (0.48)/(0.52)
Armor = 11040

So in this case where the boss hits for 5000 unmitigated, and you have 11000 armor and 500 block value, 40 armor would be equal to 1 block value.
_________________
Kombo - Dreanor - Respecaholic Priest

490 def at 64, next goal, uncrushable to a 73 before 70
Drusus
Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:31 pm
I don't understand how as tanks you guys could underestimate block value. It is one of the most important mitigation stat for prot pally's simply because of our stacked block rate and holy shield.

The only really huge problem I have atm is the lack of Block value on my gear when tanking bosses. (for some reason I don't have my libram equiped on the armory, be sure I have it and I am uncrushable)
_________________