Skip to content
Maintankadin

Some raw threat data

Arcand
Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:54 am

Some raw threat data

I took the combat log from our Kara run last night, because I wanted to get an idea where our threat comes from...especially how often things miss, so I can made decisions about how much Precision I want to take.

This is what I jotted down last night. It doesn't include a few things I want in the final version, like number of Reckoning procs and how percentage of my melee/seal damage Reckoning is responsible for, but I'll get it started now:

This was with 226 unbuffed spell damage; I had +80 from Flask of Blinding Light and used Superior Wizard Oil on boss fights. I tanked Midnight, Moroes (on me most of the fight), Maiden, Romulo, Curator to about 15% and then Curator all the way, and healed/kept up JoL on Aran. And to make things more complicated, I have 1/3 Precision now.

Melee was 21% of my damage. 15.9% miss rate.
Consecration was 20% of my damage. 2.8% resist rate.
Holy Vengeance was 12% of my damage, 4.5% resist.
Judgement of Vengeance was 9% of my damage, 18.2% miss.
Holy Shield was 8% of my damage.
Seal of Righteousness was 8%.
Judgement of Righteousness was 7%, 5.1% miss.
Avenger's Shield was 5%.
Exorcism was 5%, 2% miss.
Vengeance (the Furies deck proc) was 2%.
Reflects like Fire Shield were 1%.
Hammer of Wrath was 1%.
Seal of Vengeance (the full-stack bonus) was less than 1%, with 17.1%miss.

The miss rates on AS and Exorcism don't mean much because of the small sample size. I only used Seal of Vengeance on Maiden, Romulo and the Curator, and only after the first 20-odd seconds.

Threat percentages to follow.
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/46/15 - Uncrushable at 15.2k
Sabindeus
Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:20 am
It would be a very good idea to use the break down by Boss Kill rather than lumping everything in together. Tells a better story that way. Luckily WWS does this for you.

Especially since you were using SoR and SoV.
_________________
Ciandin
Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:04 pm
Slightly off topic, but I don't think this warrants its own thread...

Does judging light, wisdom, or any other non damage seal cause innate threat?

I'm wondering because often in the level 70 instances, if I'm a bit low on mana but everyone else is full, I'll seal wisdom to finish off the last mob of an AoE pack. When that mob dies and I immediately pull the next pack, I'll judge the already sealed wisdom instead of wasting mana on a brand new SoR right away.

If you still generate threat from judging wisdom (light, whatever) I would think I'm getting a decent return on my mana/threat. If this doesn't generate aggro, well, I'm doing it all wrong.

Arcand
Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:32 am
So last night, for whatever reason, I was not smart enough to make WWS do my bidding. I was getting reports which only contained 4-5 raid members, and it kept thinking I was a mob. I think I may put the Kara thing on hold until next week and start fresh.

Here, though, is a heroic Mech run I did last night...
http://wowwebstats.com/dn1ca5nmcwmlq

It wasn't a great one. I lost aggro on Capacitus and had to taunt him back, we had a trash wipe which was my fault and then another half-wipe on the Upstairs Elf Marathon - but we did one-shot all five bosses.

I'll do some preliminary number-crunchery on this and see what it can tell us about the virtues of Precision, Improved Judgement and so on.
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/46/15 - Uncrushable at 15.2k
Arcand
Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:15 pm
From the Mech run, here's some more information.

Melee was 12.5% of my threat, and 25% of my melee attacks were from Reckoning.
Consecration was 18.3% of my threat.
SoR was 17.4%.
Holy Shield was 19.3%.
JoR was 12.4%.
Avenger's Shield was 8.5%.
JoV was 3.7%.
Holy Vengeance was 3.1%.
Vengeance (Fury deck proc) was 1.3%.
Exorcism was 2.3%.
HoW was 1.0%.
Seal of Vengeance 'bonus damage' was 0.1%.

For melee I had 1028 hits and 161 misses.
Consecration had 1142 ticks, 56 partial resists and 5 full resists.
SoR had 894 procs and 38 partial resists.
Holy Shield had 367 procs.
JoR had 125 hits and 8 full resists.
Avenger's Shield had 63 hits (no misses or resists were recorded?)
JoV had 23 hits, 3 partial resists and 1 full resist.
Holy Vengeance had 85 ticks, 11 partial resists and 6 full resists.
Exorcism had 10 hits and 1 full resist.
HoW had 5 hits.
Seal of Vengeance had 63 procs, 9 partial resists and 6 full resists.

This was with 1/3 Precision - unfortunately it was against a variety of levels from 70 to 72, which is great if you want aggregate data and not so great if you want to analyze raid-boss tanking.
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/46/15 - Uncrushable at 15.2k
Arcand
Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:55 pm
Looking at mana efficiency:

Melee: 114985 threat, 0 mana cost, infinite threat/mana.

Consecration: 167369 threat, 95 casts at 444* mana each, 3.97threat/mana

Seal of Righteousness: 159630 threat, 50 casts at 260 each, 12.28threat/mana

Holy Shield: 177444** threat, 129 casts at 280 each, 4.91threat/mana

Judgement of Righteousness: 114106 threat, 133 casts at 124 each, 6.92threat/mana

Avenger's Shield: 78202 threat, 30? casts at 780 each, 3.34threat/mana

Judgement of Vengeance: 34025 threat, 27? casts at 124 each, 10.16threat/mana

Holy Vengeance: 28876 threat, 12 casts at 250 each, 9.63threat/mana

Exorcism: 21139 threat, 11 casts at 400 each, 4.80threat/mana

Note: I like to start a fight with SoR, switch to SoV after about 15 seconds, and then hit Avenging Wrath the moment I've got a 5-stack of Holy Vengeance and go on a threat rampage. As a result, my Vengeance numbers are artificially high by some factor between 1 and 1.3.

* I assumed 80% of my Consecrations were rank 4 and the other 20% were rank 6; 444 is the weighted-average mana cost.

** I think that the 35% and 90% increases to Holy Shield's threat are additive so I calculated this with a multiplier of 2.25. If I'm wrong, which is entirely possible, then HS's numbers will have to be corrected. Given that some very switched-on people on this forum think I'm wrong about this...I probably am. Confused
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/46/15 - Uncrushable at 15.2k
Agravaine
Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:00 am
Threat buffs/debuffs are multiplicative.

They changed this because back when they were additive, rogues were able to generate negative threat with trinkets, etc. and this caused things to go buggy.

When increases/decreases are multiplicative, you can never have neg threat.