Skip to content
Maintankadin

81 stam or 4% block?

Arnock
Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:52 pm

81 stam or 4% block?

At the moment I am rocking Essence of Gossamer and Lavanthor's Talisman for my trinkets, and they have been sufficient for naxx where my guild has been up until recently.

We are starting to push farther into ulduar, and have everything before the keepers except ignis on farm, And I was wondering about replacing my Talisman with my old Sonic Booster This would bump me from 28.8k unbuffed to 29.7k unbuffed, BUT take me 4% below the block cap.

And I was wondering whether that hp gain would be worth losing the block cap where I have 1113 unbuffed block value?
Nikachelle
Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

Being "unhittable" in Ulduar isn't really worth much. You're better off maximizing your stamina and avoidance. Plus, raid buffed, you'll likely exceed 102.4% anyway. I'd definitely get rid of Lavanthor's.
Digren
Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

Using the Sonic Booster sounds good, at least until you replace both your trinkets with ones off Ignis (10 and 25).
Arnock
Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

kk, I'll do that then, at least until I get the badges to buy a valor medal.

Or will the booster be better than the valor medal?
Corman
Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

If you're going to run 25 and 10, don't waste the badges on Valor, imo.

Just run them both as much as you can, FL10 could give you wrists, FL25 could give you weapon ring and wrists.
All huge stam upgrades. Ignis 10 and 25 give you trinkets, you would never stack double avoid trinkets to my knowledge so soon as Ignis10 gives you his, the Valor is out the window permanently. If you're lucky enough to get the Ignis25 right away, then you might want to get the Valor Medal as its stam is so huge, you could avoid double stam trinkets. Imo.
Arnock
Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:48 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

Unfortunately, we have yet to down ignis. And, at the moment anyway, due to numbers we are sorta limited to 10man
Kelaan
Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:33 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

Arnock wrote:Unfortunately, we have yet to down ignis. And, at the moment anyway, due to numbers we are sorta limited to 10man

Keep at it! It's a conceptually simple fight that just takes practice. I'll PM you. :)
Awyndel
Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

The block cap is quite usefull, however not worth a trinket slot. try to get some of the items wich have block rating, but no block value, and use gems/enchants to get the block cap. Remember raid buffs! kings motw and how add quite a lot. Also agility food can help if you have the cash.
glorfindell
Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

Arnock wrote:Unfortunately, we have yet to down ignis. And, at the moment anyway, due to numbers we are sorta limited to 10man


Remember that you can easily down Flame Leviathan 25 with 8 people, and the tanking loot that drops there is top notch. I wish I had known this earlier, since we also on have enough people to do more than 10 man, and never did FL 25 until a couple of weeks ago. :(
glorfindell
Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

Invisusira wrote:Not to be an asshole, but if you're in Ulduar you have no business using either Lavanthor's Talisman or Sonic Booster.


Agreed on Lavanthor's. Block is just not worth sacrificing a trinket slot for in Ulduar.

If you're an Engineer and not a JC/Alchemist, your only possible addition to Essense of Gossomer to run dual stam trinkets would be Sonic Booster until you pick up of Heart of Iron, no? If there's a better second stam trinket I'd like to know, since I hate equipping an ilevel 167 blue at anytime, let alone Ulduar. :?

I'm sure most of us normally use 1 stam trinket + 1 avoidance trinket for physical fights, but for spell damage intensive fights the extra EH might be better than the alternative.
Corpsicle
Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:42 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

Our guild has had tremondously crappy luck with the Ignis stamina trinket - in all our kills we've seen a total of 0 - zero!- drop. Ignis is known for dropping caster gear every time, he can't even cough up the 2 hander for our DKs. As my 10 man only just pulled it together enough to kill Yogg Saron last week, due to Summer Vacation striking the last 2 months, we have not really gotten to 'farm' Yogg's stamina trinket, although there is some hope that Yogg will eventuallly prove less stingy than 25 man Ignis.

So, as an engineer, if I want dual Stamina it is Sonic Booster or nothing. :evil:
Invisusira
Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

You don't want dual stam trinkets then. Use a proper trinket until you can get a second stam trinket that's up to snuff.
Dread
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

glorfindell wrote:Remember that you can easily down Flame Leviathan 25 with 8 people, and the tanking loot that drops there is top notch. I wish I had known this earlier, since we also on have enough people to do more than 10 man, and never did FL 25 until a couple of weeks ago. :(


You might want to be careful about this. Blizzard has been ban happy lately with anyone doing FL with much fewer than 25 people. They feel that the encounter is then being exploited. They don't usually give a permanent ban for this on the first offense, but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
Nikachelle
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:24 pm

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

Dread wrote:
glorfindell wrote:Remember that you can easily down Flame Leviathan 25 with 8 people, and the tanking loot that drops there is top notch. I wish I had known this earlier, since we also on have enough people to do more than 10 man, and never did FL 25 until a couple of weeks ago. :(


You might want to be careful about this. Blizzard has been ban happy lately with anyone doing FL with much fewer than 25 people. They feel that the encounter is then being exploited. They don't usually give a permanent ban for this on the first offense, but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.


I thought this was for people using the corner exploit method?

I've not heard of anyone doing it the normal way with less than 25 people getting banned.