Skip to content
Maintankadin

when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Blutreich
Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:34 pm

when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Do you constantly use your trinket cool downs or save them in case of emergency? On some fights I blow them when I know a spike is comming but usually I have them macroed to my hs. Personally I think I will always use possible BV boosts for extra threat but was wondering what thoughts where on dodge rating boosts for example.
I tried searching for this but found nothing.
fuzzygeek
Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

It depends on the fight. If there's predictable burst, I'll chain trinkets during that. If you're just kind of constantly getting shat upon, I'll use them on CD.
Braundo
Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

For any non-farmed content, I try to save them for emergencies. This can be either predictable times (Frozen Blows, Plasma Blast, etc) or unpredictable times like a healer falling asleep or heavy raid damage needing to be healed up which can potentially leave you a little low on heals.

But, if your raid has the fight entirely on lockdown with no chance of anything going wrong (complete farm clears or whatever), I just use them every time they're up. It just makes things go more smoothly.
Salamandra
Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:14 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

If something's on complete farm I never use trinket cooldowns at all. If it's just constant heavy damage I use them whenever I actually remember to. If something's predictable, I use it when that happens.
Soralin
Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:30 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Braundo wrote:For any non-farmed content, I try to save them for emergencies. This can be either predictable times (Frozen Blows, Plasma Blast, etc) or unpredictable times like a healer falling asleep or heavy raid damage needing to be healed up which can potentially leave you a little low on heals.

But, if your raid has the fight entirely on lockdown with no chance of anything going wrong (complete farm clears or whatever), I just use them every time they're up. It just makes things go more smoothly.

^ This.
Venoseth
Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:44 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Salamandra wrote:If something's on complete farm I never use trinket cooldowns at all. If it's just constant heavy damage I use them whenever I actually remember to. If something's predictable, I use it when that happens.


If something's on farm to the extent you don't feel you need the CDs why not use a DPS/TPS trinket (DMC:G, for example) instead?
daemonym
Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:42 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Venoseth wrote:
Salamandra wrote:If something's on complete farm I never use trinket cooldowns at all. If it's just constant heavy damage I use them whenever I actually remember to. If something's predictable, I use it when that happens.


If something's on farm to the extent you don't feel you need the CDs why not use a DPS/TPS trinket (DMC:G, for example) instead?


fun fact, i always tank naxx with greatness ^-^
Serv
Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:12 am

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Actually we (our raid) are trying to pull out max tps. So everyone is bugging me to equip Greatness + the hit trinket vom Leviathan10 and my full SbV/Str Gear and then Blast off.

But back to topic. Usually im wearing the Iron heart + JC Trinket and as the 2 on use dodge effects can be combined. So I've got a mere 39% dodge every two minutes, which is like a second oh shit button combined with Hand of Salvation.
theckhd
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:02 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Venoseth wrote:If something's on farm to the extent you don't feel you need the CDs why not use a DPS/TPS trinket (DMC:G, for example) instead?

Because most people pick their trinkets by looking at both the static bonuses and the on-use abilities. It's entirely possible to have an encounter on farm but not want to give up 150+ stamina for extra (possibly unnecessary) damage and threat. People do make mistakes (both healers and tanks), even on farm content.
kanst
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

I use them on predictable damage, or any time I hear a healer say something like "crap I'm ice blocked"
Lid
Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

I keep repelling charge open most of the time, and I pop it like a potion cooldown.

It's like an IOU heal - you're borrowing the health bonus, and you have to pay it back after a few seconds. But lucky for us, the healers can pay that back pretty well.

My other trinket that has a use effect, the Ignis10 furnace stone, I pop it with my wings at the start of a boss pull. I leave it off cooldown unless I overpull trash.

I haven't tried using my trinkets along with bubblewall, but I suspect that bubblewall by itself would be good enough to stop anything that would kill you, and if someone can kill you under bubblewall, it'll kill you under bubblewall+trinkets.
Nikachelle
Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Monarch Crab... I'd say I use that pretty constantly, even in heroics. I was a big non-user of "on use" functions in BC and really wanted to change that in Wrath. So I made a conscious effort to change that. Now it's almost become part of my rotation in the sense that I use it whenever it's available.

Furnace Stone on the other hand, adds about 5% damage reduction with it's armor bonus. (Or at least, that's what my armor tooltip tells me.) So I generally save it for anything that makes me go "oh shit, I'm not going to make it". This includes a Mimiron plasma blast that we have no available internal or external CDs for, same for Vezax.

As for heroics, if my healer is regenning mana, or drinking, and I'm still plugging along, I'll pop both trinkets if I get to 50% health and the healer is nowhere near.
Braundo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Nikachelle wrote:Furnace Stone on the other hand, adds about 5% damage reduction with it's armor bonus. (Or at least, that's what my armor tooltip tells me.) So I generally save it for anything that makes me go "oh shit, I'm not going to make it". This includes a Mimiron plasma blast that we have no available internal or external CDs for

...Plasma Blast damage is reduced by armor?

News to me if so.
Nikachelle
Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Braundo wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Furnace Stone on the other hand, adds about 5% damage reduction with it's armor bonus. (Or at least, that's what my armor tooltip tells me.) So I generally save it for anything that makes me go "oh shit, I'm not going to make it". This includes a Mimiron plasma blast that we have no available internal or external CDs for

...Plasma Blast damage is reduced by armor?

News to me if so.


Oh shit. Is it not? I'm going to feel like a particularly large fool if it's not.
Salamandra
Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

It's spellfire damage, of course it's not reduced by armor. No trinkets other than health increasing ones will help in any way.