Skip to content
Maintankadin

Calculating block value

SplashyTanks
Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:23 am

Calculating block value

hey there, i'm having some problems calculating block value.

My toon has 1185 str and 394 block value from gear. So to calculate my block value I did:

Code: Select all
( str/2 +bv_from_gear) * 1.3


Plugging in the numbers I got 1282.45. My character sheet shows that I am at 1287. Is there something I am missing?


http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... lashyTanks
theckhd
Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: Calculating block value

SplashyTanks wrote:Is there something I am missing?

5 Block Value, apparently. :P

Adding up your BV from gear gives me 413 BV, which should give 1307 total BV. But you might've swapped gear around since you posted.
Vadis
Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Calculating block value

If you have the BV meta gem active, the calculation is this, correct?

Code: Select all
(( str/2 +bv_from_gear) * 1.3)* 1.05 BV Meta)
theckhd
Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:22 pm

Re: Calculating block value

Yes, though he doesn't have that meta gem equipped.
jere
Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: Calculating block value

Did they change it? It used to be the "odd duckling" and get added with the 30% rather than multiplied (Going back to the ZA days where the meta then was 10%). It used to be the exception to the rule. Is it now multiplicative?

Also, remember to subtract out like 20 BV.

The equation looks like:
(STR/2 + BV)*1.3 - 20

1185 STR = 592.5 BV
413 BV from gear
---------------------------
1005.5

Redoubt: 1005.5*1.3 = 1307.15

Subtract 20:
1287.15

So you should have 1287 BV on your char sheet.
dmok
Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Calculating block value

Where is that random -20 BV coming from? Seems strange, especially since it's applied after modifiers.
jere
Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:46 pm

Re: Calculating block value

Actually, looking back it should be -10, not -20.


Where it comes from? It comes from way back in the day when the BV equation was:

BV_from_Gear*1.3 + STR/20 - 1

That was how the original BV equation looked

When they changed in WotLK, it underwent two changes:
1. STR went from 20:1 to 2:1
2. The 30% affected strength in addition to block value to gear.

When the switch happened, it went from STR/20 - 1 to STR/2 - 10

EDIT: It is possible the 1.3 affects the subtraction now too. I haven't tested that in a while.
jere
Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Calculating block value

Ok, took some time to look at my own character:

I have 1225 STR
218 BV from my shield
65 BV from my gloves

The tooltip of my STR says it gives me 602 BV
The tooltip of my Block rating says I block for 1150

First of all 1225/2 = 612.5.

So that means that the -10 happens here:

602 = ROUND(612.5-10)

Yes, 602.5 does round down to 602 (Check your rounding rules).

So I get 283 BV from gear giving:

602 + 283 = 885 BV before redoubt and 885*1.3 = 1150.5 or 1150 rounded, which matches my character sheet.

Would need more verifiable data to validate it, but it looks like the equation might be:

ROUND([BV + ROUND(STR/2) - 10]*1.3)

EDIT: But that still doesn't match the OP's results. So we are still missing something

Things we need to establish it:

Exact block value from gear (look at socket bonuses...the OP missed his)
In game tooltip info for both STR and Block Chance
Usage of Block value meta.
Chicken
Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Calculating block value

You should probably also compare the amount you're actually blocking compared to what your tooltip says. It might actually be that no rounding takes place in actual combat, but rounding is done to make the tooltip more readable. Or in other words, that it works basically like DoTs or HoTs do, where you'll have the occasional ticks doing 1 more or less damage/healing so that the number matches the exact spell strength.
theckhd
Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: Calculating block value

jere wrote:Did they change it? It used to be the "odd duckling" and get added with the 30% rather than multiplied (Going back to the ZA days where the meta then was 10%). It used to be the exception to the rule. Is it now multiplicative?

Nope, I just forgot about that. Looking back at the matlab code, redoubt and the meta are additive.

Interestingly, I didn't know about the -10. I'll have to add that to the simulations.
dmok
Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:48 am

Re: Calculating block value

Some more data for you to work out.

Str: 1249 (614 BV)
BV on gear: 221 (shield)
No BV meta, nor sockets.

Plugging into your formula, I get:

([221 + (1249/2) - 10] * 1.3) = 1085 (note I rounded down in all cases)

My character tooltip says my blocks stop 1085 damage, so this matches up. I confirmed by attacking the first 2 mobs in heroic DTK and my combat logged confirmed that I was blocking 1085 damage off each of their attacks. My armory information is up to date if you need to do any double-checking with the information it provides.