Skip to content
Maintankadin

Looking for advice concerning hit cap

Goldmund
Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:31 am

Looking for advice concerning hit cap

I've been getting a number of upgrades in Ulduar 25M recently, and most of all I'm noticing my hit rating suffer. When I picked up the Conqueror's gloves, I was reluctant to replace my T7 Valorous; same with when I crafted the Deathdealers, and replaced my Charred Saronite Greaves. With the T8 and Deathdealers, I'm rocking 135 hit rating.

I went and abused a training dummy for a while, timed at a minute, with seal of corruption up:
For melee hits I had 66.7% hit, 21.4% glancing, 11.9% miss.
Seal of corruption missed 17.1% of the time.
I didn't really spam my exorcism like I do in some encounters either, but it hit once and missed once.

Now that I just got my Titanguard, I'm torn between putting accuracy or blade ward on it (I have both on a scroll while I debate), and unsure if I even want to wear my T8 gloves before I have a second piece for a set bonus. With the Charred Saronite and Valorous T7 I get back up to 225, without an enchant on my weapon (250 should I opt for Accuracy); but I'm also unsure if I want to continue wearing these pieces when I have avoidance upgrades sitting in my bag. What are some viable upgrades or methods for dealing with this low hit? Is it worth dealing with it? In a situation like this, which would contribute more to threat, Accuracy or Blade Ward? Should I just continue wearing the high-hit gloves and boots, until more viable +hit pieces drop for me? (Here's looking at you, Northern Barrier.)

-Just to clarify, I tend to buff with the +40 hit food, and have continued to wear my T7 Val. gloves. In an ideal world I'll probably continue wearing these gloves, once I have T8 chest and Pants for the 2-set bonus.
Airanna
Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

Goldmund wrote:For melee hits I had 66.7% hit, 21.4% glancing, 11.9% parry.
Seal of corruption missed 17.1% of the time.



Just curious...how? If you never missed with a melee attack, then neither did seal of corruption. Also, are you factoring in the nearly guaranteed extra 3% hit you get in a raid?
Goldmund
Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:57 am

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

Typo, meant 11% missed instead of parried. Also, what's the source of the nearly-guaranteed 3% hit?
badgermonkey
Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:03 am

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

Incidentally, don't get Blade Ward. It's not particularly good.
Airanna
Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:26 am

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

I was in shaman mode with the 3% thing, forgot it doesn't apply to melee. Still, 11% miss seems...impossible, what with 8% being the melee miss rate against a boss level mob, dummies seem off sometimes though.
Gamingdevil
Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:45 am

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

1 minute isn't really enough time to get an average reading of. You missed way too much now, in the next minute you should miss less to get back to the average.
Kethion
Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:21 am

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

Well, accuracy is the best enchant to weapon concerning only threat, so if that's you're looking for, there you go. That said, hit is still not as good as strength for threat, and strength even has some mitigation tied into it as well. Unless it's a fight where you pretty much need the first hit to land, hit is generally not a stat you should worry about

If it were me, I'd go with the avoidance upgrades (for progression bosses and hard hitters at least). Reason being that you are there to be the focus of the boss and take the least damage possible while doing so. You aren't keeping the raid alive if you get killed or run your healers OOM. In retrospect, make sure you have enough to keep yourself ahead while still minimizing your damage intake.

Also regarding your training dummy test: A more accurate result could be shown by extending the length of the test like Gamingdevil said.
rokkon
Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:32 pm

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

If I was having a problem with hit, I'd use Accuracy. That's what it's for. However, I personally wouldn't consider it a problem unless I was having threat or taunt issues. I agree that a few minutes on a dummy isn't enough to form a solid opinion.
towelliee
Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

I switched from Blade to Accuracy only because blade just wasn't doing me any justice. I passed on 8.5 gloves at the moment because I was already at 147 hit and been taking hit food while tanking. Yeah my TPS is still insane but I don't want to run a string of misses in the beginning of a fight to threat cap my guild. Upgrades to hit I see in future are the Conquest gloves...conquest neck...1h from Deconstructor Hard Mode. Boreal Guard. Those should make it easy but in the meantime I stuck to Accuracy and hit food.
Jasari
Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:58 pm

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

FYI: even below the hit cap, the +40 str food is more threat than the hit food.
Gamingdevil
Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:07 pm

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

Hit is basically only there to ensure you don't have a string of misses at the start of the fight or taunts get resisted. For sustained threat, strenth and block value are better.

That being said I too dislike dropping my hit so low as gear upgrades come. But all upgrades are better for survivability and some are even better for threat even without the hit. It's a necessairy evil.
Goldmund
Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:31 pm

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

I'll try a longer, more sustained test later today, and I popped accuracy on the new MH. I'm still opting to wear the T7 Val gloves until I get a second piece of conqueror's, but I tanked all night in Ulduar without any real issues with 160 hit. I think I might just have a phobia of being so far under a cap.
Conaan!
Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

Goldmund wrote:I'll try a longer, more sustained test later today, and I popped accuracy on the new MH. I'm still opting to wear the T7 Val gloves until I get a second piece of conqueror's, but I tanked all night in Ulduar without any real issues with 160 hit. I think I might just have a phobia of being so far under a cap.



the conq badge gloves are a direct upgrade from t7.5 gloves, and provide a good chunk of hit with them
Airanna
Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

Um...the conq gloves have no hit on them...
fuzzygeek
Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:14 pm

Re: Looking for advice concerning hit cap

Airanna wrote:Um...the conq gloves have no hit on them...


He's referring to the Emblem of Conquest gloves: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45834