Skip to content
Maintankadin

Improved tanking simulator

AergisAergis's avatar
Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:08 pm

Improved tanking simulator

NEW UPDATE 06.27.07
-----------------------------------------------------------

    Added Druids to the list.

    Paladin Ardent Defender now works at the 30% reduction below 35% HP.

    Display when Ardent Defender is active, and how much it reduced the hit to.

    Added a new "Avg damage per hit" result on completion.


-----------------------------------------------------------


UPDATE
-----------------------------------------------------------

    Added in warrior as a choice for tank class, assuming imp defensive stance and imp shield block.

    Paladin ardent defender now works at the live version of 50% reduction below 20% hp.

    Added options for thunderclap, demo shout, and improved holy shield ( for seeing the difference before and after 2.1 ). The reductions from thunderclap and demo shout also assume they are improved versions.

    Added in the ability to perform multiple fights and average the outcome. You can now test with a far larger sample size by performing 50 fights, for example. Be careful though, if your tank / healer stats are so good that each fight takes 40 mins in real-game, the simulator will timeout after 15 seconds. The same can happen if you try to perform 1000 fights.

    Fixed redoubt to trigger only on attacks that actually cause damage.

    Fixed healer MP5. It was adding the MP5 value as MP3 and while casting.

    Fixed healing crits to function within the base spell range instead of static.

    Healers will use flash heal when tank is below 30% health.

    Added in Curator and Maiden as boss presets ( thanks Arcand! )

    Added a magic damage and magic time field for bosses. Magic damage is unmitigated from armor.

    Fixed bug of special attacks being able to crush.


-----------------------------------------------------------


I've seen a few tanking simulators floating around, and they seem decent for comparing stats / gear / gem choices. The big problem I've seen with all of them is the lack one key thing, spike damage.

In the ones I have seen they lead to lower incoming damage per second if you simply increase avoidance. They don't have any way to value the fact that you are losing 2k HP to increase dodge by 10%...

So I created one that also has healers built in. They will spam max rank greater heal every 3 seconds, offset from each other. You can add more healers, or less. I also built in spell crits, mana regen, and +healing as healer stats, all adjustable in the simulator.

Added in the boss raw damage and attack speed, as well as any special attacks and how often they happen ( Maulgar with Arcing smash, for example 20000? pre-dr damage every 30? seconds ).

-----------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if you find any bugs.
Tanking Simulator

-----------------------------------------------------------

Requires Flash player 9. Use your buffed stats.
_________________
Torakka
Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:55 am
Looks pretty nice. Did you include the fact that special attacks can't be Crushing? I'd also like to see Redoubt added (or is it already there and I just missed it?) for simulating encounter where all the HS charges will be used before CD is over. Heals with different casting time would also be nice, but that might make whole sim quite complicated.
_________________
Kathryn
Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:47 am
you might wanna look into that:

Kathryn
Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:11 pm
Could it be possible to expand it to select:

1) Warrior or Paladin or Druid Tank.

And instead of 1 filed for healers, Put 4. 1 field for paladin (holy) 1 for resto shaman, 1 for resto druids and 1 for holy priest.

So we could get a more accurate projection of say a Maulgar fight with 2 druids and 1 priest VS, 1 priest 1 paladin and 1 shaman.. and see what gooes better...

I realize how much more work that would be but damn it would be a hawt tool.
Livyan
Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:36 pm
The Greenhorn gives this sim Two Thumbs Up!

Drunken rambling below, reading may cause irreversible brain damage.
I'm not coder maniac, but wouldn't a simple "If Block and HS and Redoubt then '-chargeHS', '-chargeRedoubt'" thingy work.. Sorta?
_________________
Arcand
Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:22 pm
Does anyone have combat logs of themselves against bosses, including their gear levels at the time of the fight? We could use those to figure out the bosses' attack speeds and raw damage output, and guesstimate the cooldowns on their specials.

It'd be neat to be able to key in a custom boss, or just click a radio button for "Romero", "Onyxia" or "King Maulgar" and see how you hold up. Very Happy
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/49/12 - 11/11 Kara, 2/2 GL, 4/6 ZA
Healing can be variable. DPS can be variable. My job is to be a constant.
Dreamcrusher
Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:05 pm
While I was playing around with this earlier, I had a set of stats that were apparently completely outtanking the boss. The simulation ran for a good 5 minutes, maybe 10 I'm not sure (at work ftl)


Just wondering if you could code in the "report" at the end to calculate and display even if you prematurely stop the sim.
_________________
<3
AergisAergis's avatar
Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:38 pm
Ok, fixed up redoubt. It wasn't only the loss of charges on a block, but also that its only up for 10 seconds, and doesnt get re-applied every 10. Also, redoubt cannot proc while it is already active, thus causing some of the trickyness. But it's fixed now, should proc 10% of the time and only when damage is actually taken.

Also, reworked the whole engine, and it is alot faster now. For most fights, it's near instant, so I removed the stop fight button altogether. If you "outtank" it, the app should crash after 15 seconds.

I rewrote the engine to use milliseconds as full seconds because I want to try to make a "batch process" next, where you could run the same fight, say 100 times and average the total results ( 15% spike damage, 85% healer mana, etc ). This should give a clearer result, since a bad timing on a special attack and regular attack may skew the results. I found myself hitting the fight button repeatedly and trying to estimate an average of a few runs, so I figure a way to see this over a larger sampling of fights is a good idea.

Still working on the class stuff, and different cast times. Although, I don't know druid well enough to really put them in this sim, can someone break-down all the defensive abilities and cooldowns?
_________________
hiro
Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:35 am
Can you take into account a small lag time after Holy Shield expires before it is re-applied? Human response time and Lag indicate that there will be a delay between expiration and re-application. I am not sure what an accurate range for this would be - but I think it would make a big difference in crushing blows recieved.

Assuming an average timing accuracy of 2 tenths of a second before re-applying HS you are being exposed to crushes:
.2/10.2 or about 2% of the time

In your model currently crushes only come once every several fights. Making this change I suspect the average to raise about a crush per fight.
Arcand
Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:58 am
I finally remembered to /combatlog yesterday, so I have a couple minutes of me getting my stuffing stomped out by the Curator.

Forgot to e-mail it to myself this morning, but I'll do that and then we can do some regression work and maybe make him an option in the sim.
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/49/12 - 11/11 Kara, 2/2 GL, 4/6 ZA
Healing can be variable. DPS can be variable. My job is to be a constant.
Arcand
Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:52 pm
The Curator attacks at a metronome-like 2.00 speed, and doesn't use any specials on the tank.

With approximately 55% mitigation I was getting hit for an average of 2619 (284 blocked), so his average damage should be

(2619 + 284)/(1-0.55) = 6451 raw damage every 2 seconds or 3226 DPS.

Weakest hit was 2130 (284 blocked), gives 5364 as an approximate minimum.

Hardest hit was 3090 (284 blocked), gives 7498 as an approximate maximum.

So his character sheet should read something like 5500-7500 damage at speed 2.00.
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/49/12 - 11/11 Kara, 2/2 GL, 4/6 ZA
Healing can be variable. DPS can be variable. My job is to be a constant.