Skip to content
Maintankadin

DR When does the gain from parry = the gain from dodge?

Xanthir
Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:06 pm

DR When does the gain from parry = the gain from dodge?

I have been reading through various threads about diminishing returns, and quite a few of them are talking about trying to stack parry and dodge more evenly. I have always viewed parry as "expensive dodge", and with DR, I was wondering when dodge actually ended up leveling out with dodge. I heard somewhere that it was around like 30% or so, and I was wondering if this was true.

I am currently avoidance capped, and so I am working more on Dodge/Parry/Stam/Block Value, however I am mainly focusing on dodge and parry, (more importantly dodge, until DR lower it to the point of being even with parry.)

If I anyone knows, I would appreciate the info!
Xanthir
Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:46 pm
Thanks much everyone, Greatly appriciated!
Zironic
Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:14 pm
You should probably take into account that 700 dodge rating a s stupidly high number that I doubt I'll see on any tank until Icecrown.

And regardless if you want it or not you'll probably have more then 200 parry rating anyhow by the time you reach 700 dodge, only going after what gives the most avoidance/EH I've ended up at 227 dodge and 219 parry.
_________________
Xanthir
Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 pm
Actually it is not that far off. I am at 518 Dodge, and 210 Parry. I have most everything I want from Naxx 25, but there is definitely still gear I want. I would say that 700 Dodge it a bit high for the current content, but it will probably pretty easily be obtained in Ulduar when it is released.
Racolus
Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:52 pm
Meh, I think the TL;DR version between dodge and parry is then:

Stack dodge rating. Choose gear/gem enchant till your dodge rating reach 700. Choosing anything parry over dodge before 700 is not efficient.
Xanthir
Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:58 pm
For the most part that is what I am doing, however I do still use Stam gems, and all my dodge gems are dodge/stam gems generally.

And keep in mind this is basically just for tanking bosses, you will probably want to stack more block value and block rating for trash, especially AOE trash Very Happy.
Majiben
Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:01 pm
Efficiency is not what you should be concerned with when choosing between pieces of gear. While enchanting and gemming it is important but in those situations you have direct control over the stat distribution. While dodge is more efficient that parry 70 parry rating is better than 40 dodge rating despite being inefficient.
_________________
Majiben
Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:31 pm
The one that gives better survival stats. And the one with dodge may not have as much survival stats due to threat stats like hit and expertise while the other does not. The answers is to take the one that will help you survive better, not either the one with dodge or parry.
_________________
Xanthir
Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:37 pm
Yeah, for the most part, I am talking about equivalent iLvl gear, gems, and enchants.

And actually since the major patch in BC, I have never really found threat to be much of an issue, so generally I concentrate more on pure survivability stats.
Candiru
Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:50 am
But it WILL affect your gemming choices, if you want to gem for avoidance.