Skip to content
Maintankadin

TPS issue with a hybrid DK, is it normal?

Samud
Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:47 pm

TPS issue with a hybrid DK, is it normal?

Hey,

My guild has started doing Naxx 10 and I'm on OT duty. So far it has been going well but one of our top DPS is a DK that re-specced to a raid specific spec that does insane dmg (0/31/40) and I have been noticing that when we do HCs together he easily 'steals' my mobs without even trying due to his insane output.
My question is: is this normal? Or am I failing somewhere? This is my armory link, I've got T7 chest and 2 Naxx pieces and I think only bracers and one trinket can be farmed form HCs now.
Thank you.
_________________
sunstrike
Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:01 pm
Kind of a dumb question but it has to be asked. Do you know for sure if he has blood vs frost on? Sometimes DK's who occasionally tank forget to turn off their frost and this can cause plenty of havoc.

Also he should never be using Death and Decay to do AoE damage as this is actually a high threat tanking ability. Look for the red boiling aoe they cast. Only DK tanks should be using it not a dps. If he is using this tell him to stop along with double checking against frost aura being up.

Other than that I would just say to make sure everyone is using a good threat meter and work on your rotation and ability to check threat against all the mobs you are tanking. The days of simply casting consecrate and standing back are over. You need to cycle your targets and make sure you are getting the most out of your hammer and shield.

DK's sometimes are annoying in that they are obviously OP and some think they are all that by pulling threat on purpose. Let them understand that you are doing your job tanking and if you don't get hit you can't get mana. Not to mention I'm sure your healers would appreciate knowing who to heal instead of having to constantly worry about the dps DK who suddenly takes damage all the time.
_________________
Levantine
Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:43 pm
actually, dnd is a great aoe dps attack, and is perfectly safe to use unless the tank is terrible in most specs. I use it with ilara all the time. The spec this dk is using doesn't have subversion in it though, which, with the amount of dps that the frost/unholy specs can put out, will cause problems.

Also, bland generalizations saying that death knights are stupid arseholes aren't needed or helpful.
_________________
Levantine: Frost Tank
Anzen: Restogoat
Popeadin: Retardin
Ashmadai
Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:06 am
Honestly, if he's in blood presence and that's not the issue, he's probably just unloading too fast. If he's in a DW Howling blast spec, he's probably starting every pull out with icy touch->pestilence-> howling blast, which basically means if his gear is decent he may crit every mob in the pull for 8k+. If he does that right off the bat there's not a tank in the world that will have that much threat already built up.
_________________
Elsie
Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:35 pm
Yes, but I also thought pestilence used an unholy rune for some reason.

Ugh, I should update xperl to see my rune bar >_>

Reading a bit more, it seems better to do D&D, IT, PS, Pestilence, blood boil since aoe packs die fast.