Skip to content
Maintankadin

Arguing with a Holy Paladin

Slavke
Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:07 pm

Arguing with a Holy Paladin

Okay, so, I'm currently in a very heated argument with one of my guild holy paladins that seems to still think that SP>all for pretty much everything.

I was under the belief that Ret has a stronger consercrate and JoL over both Prot and Holy. I've been trying the find the exact scaling numbers but I can't seem to find the mathematical conversion rates. He also thinks the consercrate was the best spell for holding aggro on mobs as Prot still. I tried to explain to him that SoTR is our current highest threat move and that Prot makes minimal use of Consecrate now, unless there are more than 4 mobs.

This holy paladin also believes that warriors are the best tanks bar none. He told me he would choose a warrior MT over a Paladin MT for a single target Undead boss. -.-; The reason being, warriors have more tools for single target aggro.

Now I haven't been able to run a raid with him yet, my connection is crap and crashes if there around more than 5 people in an instance, so I can't prove to him that a paladin would be a better choice these days.

Can anyone point me to a thread that houses all our mathematical conversions and how the damage scales with our AP and SP? I need some type of cold hard facts to throw at this guys face to break him of his Vanilla mentality.

Slavke
_________________
Fridmarr
Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:17 pm
More tools for threat...What the heck does that even mean? Good warriors can do as much single target threat as a pally, but not really any more than a pally. Undead mobs don't really even matter now, because you can't spam exorcism in your rotation, it's not needed or even used that much aside from maybe pulling.

Your buddy is clearly ignorant and even of his own abilities. You shouldn't be touching spell power and he shouldn't be using JoL if either you or a ret pally are in a raid. Most of our abilities have dual scaling now, using both SP and AP. He needs to get educated on how his class, even the spec he is playing, works.

EDIT: Here's a thread with some numbers, http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=18024 but keep in mind, some people are willfully stupid and not quick to change despite clear evidence.
_________________
http://armorylite.com/us/frostmane/fridmarr/
kenshin648
Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:47 pm
Judgement of Light


Amount healed per proc is [ 0.10*SP + 0.10*AP ]

So, [ ( SP + AP ) * 0.10 ]



And does the fool realize we get all of our SP through talents (Touched by the Light)?
_________________
I can has moar to horde side on Muradin?

mavfin
Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:49 pm
Sorry, how it got in *this* thread I'm not sure
_________________
--Mav
Kelaan
Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:09 pm
He probably missed the boat on the merits of intellect, too, for Holy paladins... try getting him to read Elitist Jerks' thread on Holy Paladin gearing in Wrath, which explains it well, and once he realized that there are clueful people there, point him at the prot theorycraft.

That, and lots of lols at his expense. Wink
Rasmfrackn
Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:26 pm
Don't suppose I can get a link to that EJ thread? I suck at finding posts there for some reason. I don't like searching in that forum type.

I'm planning on dual speccing to holy instead of Ret, whenever they finally get that in. I'm grabbing healing gear that I think will be best, but I'd love to see some good theory behind it.

-- A anything that has equal contributions from SP and AP (JoL, consecrate) is going to be vastly superior from a Ret. Some things scale differently with the 2, such as SoV, JoV,
_________________
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Rasmfrackn
Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:03 pm
Thanks!
_________________
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Salamandra
Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:55 am
The difference is in raids larger than that. Far larger, infact. Raid-buffed, AP is increased hugely for ret. Raid buffs make very little difference for spellpower. The best you can do is a totem of wrath, which is much smaller than might/kings/10%AP, and even that is unlikely.
_________________
Harlequina
Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:05 am
Know it has been mentioned, but he sounds like a retard.

A complete retard.

Someone I'd like to own, badly, in some way, just to make him feel worthless.

Actually, to be completely honest, I hate ANYONE, who still thinks that warriors are "MT #1". Hate. I CANNOT stand anyone who thinks so. Simply players who live in the past... It's like a big cloud is blocking their view of seeing what has happened to the game. It's not ANYTHING like vanilla WoW anymore. Infact, and as most would understand by now, it's not like TBC anymore either.



[/vent]



Sorry for not posting anything of use, but still.
_________________
My IMEEM: http://www.imeem.com/people/tNXB4J
Selinaria
Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:23 am
1: He is a retard and stuck in the past.

2: For JoL, Ret > Prot > Holy

3: Warriors and paladins are relatively equal as MTs in all scenarios.

That is all that really need be said. If he chooses not to believe statements 2 and 3, then statement 1 is verified (moreso statement 3, statement 2 is just someone who needs to be better informed).
_________________