I have no idea if this is interesting to anyone but myself or if it even has a place here, but I've started to write a rudimentary simulator to compare warrior and paladin damage mitigation/avoidance.
The simulator is written in MATLAB, due to the ease of implementation, and is designed to mimic WoW mechanics to as great extent as I know them. A negative side effect of this is that the code is rather ugly, some beautification will have to wait though. A few guesses have been made here and there when I'm uncertain (see list) though this shouldn't have any major impact.
Now, what can the simulator do?
- Simulate simple melee-oriented fights. Various circumstances that doesn't really differ between a paladin and warrior tank aren't taken into concideration. Take the frost damage from sapphiron as an example, to my knowledge warriors have nothing to put up against it that paladins can't.
- Give a very rough estimate of which tank is 'stronger' in a given situation.
What's coming up?
- If there's any interest: Implementation of Lavanthiors (Yes, I misspelled it) talisman.
I've made an assumption as well, this is my guess and nothing else
- Damage absorption from armor is added to damage absorption from defensive stance/righteous fury and BoSanc, rather than multiplicative. Feel free to correct me on this one. In other words, damage mitigation for a paladin can be 0.6 (Armor) + 0.09 (Imp. RF) + 0.03 (BoSanc), totally mitigating 72% damage.
Curiously, increasing block value to higher values appear to benefit the paladin more than the warrior, contrary to the popular idea here that warrior critical block will out-scale us later on. If you have the interest, feel free to run the numbers and error-check my code.
The linked example is set to simulate a patchwerk hateful strike tank in 10-man naxxramas, quite simply because of the simple nature of the fight. Running my own and my warrior co-tanks numbers (Guesses have been made to set dodge with imp. SoE up) produces fairly equal results, which seems right to me.
If there is any interest for this, the code can be found right here. Feel free to modify it to your hearts content, or print it out and set it on fire in a fit of rage.
_________________
Armory link
Toesmasher
Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:23 am
