Skip to content
Maintankadin

How does diminishing returns on avoidance affect me?

Modal
Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:06 pm

How does diminishing returns on avoidance affect me?

So I've been really interested in figuring out how diminishing returns works since they announced it. But I see DR being thrown around a lot on these forums in discussions of how one ought to be gearing up. I want to make it clear that 99% of the time, you can just ignore DR on avoidance and weight different stats exactly as you would have in TBC.

You still need 5.6% reduced chance to be crit before all else. This now requires 540 Defense.

You still want to be at 102.4% total miss+dodge+parry+block, and after that block rating is useless.

Block rating is still the cheapest stat for reaching that number, but Defense rating is the best stat for reaching that number. Since it's not as high a priority without crushing blows, it's probably not worth sacrificing a ton of EH for Block Rating.

Dodge is still always going to be more avoidance per rating than Defense or Parry (but the smart tankadin will still prefer Defense at least until 102.4% benchmark is reached).

Parry rating is still the most worthless of all avoidance stats, and you should never be trying to stack it (but don't avoid it, either).

EH is still what you want to focus on, letting avoidance come along as you progress.

It is possible to construct extreme theoretical scenarios in which Parry becomes better than Dodge or whatever, but you will not ever be in such a position.

The only thing DR really does to make gear selection more complicated is that it makes it hard to know exactly when the 102.4% benchmark has been reached, since we don't know how it affects Miss% from Defense (yet). That's all. Otherwise, focus on uncrittability and EH, and stack Defense & Dodge as you can without losing too much EH. As always.

I know a lot of people know this already. But I see comments sometimes that suggest some people think DR has dramatically changed things and needs to be taken into consideration on gear choices. It hasn't. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm just burning straw men here.
_________________
Janduin
Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:23 pm
Very good summary. Maybe this should be stickied. It seems every few days someone posts something clearly thinking that in order to beat DR they have to use parry gems or some garbage to "equalize their avoidance stats" or that defense is better for pure avoidance than dodge due to the DR being "split up," forgetting that they already have 689 or more defense rating to be uncrit and the parry and miss have really bad DR constants and thus scale poorly. Hopefully eventually that kind of thing will die off soon.
_________________
DramaticBaby
Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:01 pm
Yup, I think it would be a helpful sticky, short and contains the important answers.

Though I wonder about 102.4%. Isn't block rating useless when you are maybe around 104%, since the DR on miss makes the actual block cap a few percentages above 102.4%?

If I'm correct then your answer can mislead some people (including myself Wink ) so that htey will not be block capped.
_________________
harlekin
Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:30 pm
Great summary. For all my work involving DR on avoidance, I have to agree that it generally isn't that important.

For avoidance you still want defense to 540 and mostly dodge beyond that. My work on avoidance is mostly splitting hairs for the min-max crowd, but even then EH appears to be more important now (and it was important before).

Comparing 2 pieces of gear can be a bit more complicated than before, but that's what spreadsheets and addons are for.
_________________
Shadow Council - US - Horde
Xandreth (80) - Prot Paladin - MT

Progression: EQ, Anarchy, DAoC, EQ, WoW
Candiru
Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:30 am
The +400 dodge rating style trinkets are not as good as they used to be though, since now you gain very little from huge amounts of dodge for a short time.

And Parry does become better than dodge at some point, but you don't want more than 1/3 your dodge rating in parry rating (ish)