Skip to content
Maintankadin

Trouble Gaining the Title of Maintank.

ítank
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:42 pm

Trouble Gaining the Title of Maintank.

I'm having 0 luck in my guild right now. Me and this warrior are equally geared, almost exactly, And there isn't even a discussion about it, he is just "assumed" to be the MT. And I've just about had it. I have the wws to prove to him I take less dmg, he's blocking about 18% of attacks, I'm blocking double that. and dodge/parry/miss are about 5-8% more than him, depending on what report you look at. The only thing, besides already being the MT he has going for him is he's got about 2K more hp then i do.
Which, I have figured out is simply because he is a warrior, nothing else. Naked he's got about 2K more hp than I do. I can destroy him in TPS, Yet still, he's the MT.

So is there a way I can get his EH and compare it to mine?
Some way to prove I'd be a better tank.

And what is this about, on you have conso, your a better add tank. on grob? GWF? I can undstand maybe on Sarth. but still. If I'm waiting around for adds to spawn a warrior/druid/DK could do just as fine.

And any general help in this area would be very appreciated.
_________________
Kalakaua
Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 pm
Unless I'm mistaken (and that's always a possibility), warrior tanks only have 1200 more base health. They get 6% bonus stamina whereas a paladin gets 12% bonus stamina. Once you get 2000 stamina, you'll have more health than him.
Belarkan
Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:56 pm
Dunno where you are yet, but from the naxx10 I've done, tank health and avoidance wasn't much an issue (we cleaned spider, abo, plague wings).
Ever discussed with your GL/RL about a tank rotation because you gear and want to be MT, not just an add tank ?
Ascendant
Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:07 pm
don't start attempting to prove that you are a superior tank because of class. that's a losing battle. If your group stubbornly believes that warriors are superior tanks, then there isn't much you can do.

What I would do in your situation is ask the warrior if you can MT some of the encounters. If he refuses, you have the threat leverage to just take bosses off of him anyway.
Majiben
Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:54 am
The gap in base health is 1200. The ranged slot is like a giant stam stick though. And the gap at 80 is actually smaller than the gap at 70.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Mazater
Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:07 am
What's this maintank you speak of?

I'd use wichever tanking class is best for the encounter, DK for spelldamage fights etc. Well, assuming that the tanks have similiar gear levels.
_________________
ziggyunderslashone
Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:41 am
What makes people think MT is some sort of numerical decision? Guilds do not analyse data, calculate who would be ideal for the given situation, based on gear, class and spec and go with it. They go with what they know and with what they trust.

Healers want a tank they trust personally, and will often claim they're easier to heal in the face of evidence. DPS used to just want solid threat, lord knows these days. Raid leaders want the guy who can move and press buttons at the same time, the guy who learns his role in the first attempt so the rest of the raid can learn theirs (personally I'd take someone severely undergeared if they tick that box.)

The MT position is not a case of should be or deserves to be, but more often than not consistency in the raid. To be blunt, theres often a certain amount of ego wrangling among tanks which often involves the acronym. (Something about the class attracts that)

Bottom line: If you're a better tank, continue to prove it whenever you can. The guild will either see sense or stick to what they know. You're not going to force your way into the position with numbers.
d503
Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:43 am
Fights aren't really like this anymore...they're taking the "this tank's best at this fight" thing away a bit...
_________________

http://www.discord-medivh.com
2ndNin
Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:53 am
I out tanked a lot of Warriors in TBC, and done the same for many in WoTLK, been better geared, at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

As an MT you need to be able to:

1) Learn your role fast
---- If you can't go into a fight having read wowwiki or similar and understand 90% of your role, you take a back seat because the main tank isn't allowed to get it wrong.

2) Analyse fights
---- Your advice / thoughts might be ignored, but your job is to notice stuff that affects you and how to minimise it, again if you can't you don't mt.

3) Lead the raid
---- A lot of MTs are raid leaders, precisely because of 1 and 2, if you aren't comfortable talking to your raid then there is a problem because other people don't watch what the tank is doing the same way you watch the raid

4) Be experienced
---- Helps if you know the fights, the alt tactics etc. The number of groups I have taken through oculus who went "third boss is hard", "omg thats retard proof" is stupidly high, you need to know the fights and know them well.

5) Be geared
---- Gear is the last thing you need, progression guilds don't down Naxx wearing 2/5 T7.10 + best heroic gear + badge gear, they down bosses in what they have that meets the minimum requirements (because getting more takes time). Gear is a big stick people talk about, and frankly it is over rated, important, but if you need 29k to survive the boss and you have 35k all you have is a bigger buffer letting others make more mistakes, and sometimes it doesn't matter. If 28k = 2 hits, 28.1k vs 35k makes no difference because the third hit still kills you without good healing.

6) Prove it.

You can be the best geared tank in the world, and I can still think of you as an idiot (I knew guys in full T6.5 I considered bad tanks, and guys in T4 I considered good tanks), getting to be MT in a guild you aren't raid leader or guild master of is hard work and takes time. Pulling stunts like pulling off the current MT is bad form because it shows you don't do 1/2, and failed at 6. Yes your JoL can pull, but sitting comfortably in 2nd position and turning off Righteous Fury is a much better solution than pulling and possibly dying (a lot of Tank healers watch the tank, not threat, and don't use /assist healing macros - ie: pull can equal dead). Be in the position to save the raid, be competent, be efficient, and at the end of the day be patient, you may never be MT in a guild, a lot of Tanks don't ever leave, and they are often trusted to do the job because they did 1,2,3, and 6.

Edit: I have forced my way into the MT role using numbers before, but only because the MT was willing to listen and understood that for those fights I was simply the better choice to tank mechanically. If you are demanding to tank on RoS pt2 equivalent fights, well good luck, but demanding to tank pick your fights, pick ones where you have a mechanical advantage first and explain it as better for the raid as a whole.

I was RL for a heck of a lot of ZA progression and Bear runs (with the guilds official MT there as well), and in my whole time I MT'd Jan'alai and Halazzi twice because it was mechanically better for me not to do so, I also tanked Akil'zon because I could do more threat, and solo tanked Nalorak because it was fun (well 89% of a fight, and 75%+ of a few others) because people were happy and understood that I was making the right choice to tank or not even if they didn't understand it. Gain that trust, nothing better than having a healer say "pull all 8 next time rather than 4" (2nd pull of Heroic UK Razz) because they feel that you can, and also that they trust you to do it.
_________________
Armoury Link

Igrado
Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:51 am
The game is not about you, and the Guild is not about you. Relax, enjoy the game, enjoy the content, enjoy your friendships. Do your best? Certainly. Defeat the boss? Absolutely. But get over yourself, it's just a game. And really, setting out to knock the other guys out of his "slot" isn't exactly impressing anyone.

Ask to take turns (rotate).
_________________
Spite
Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:56 am
I like your thinking, and would have to agree. Pulling from the MT on fights to try to prove your point is just not raid discipline. As a GM and Raid Leader/MT I would have to say your raiding would end with us quickly if i realized that your mistakes were intentional. B/c at the end of the day its all about raid organization and discipline. A tank is the QB of the raid team and needs to lead by example. Just my 2 cents.
vschiano2008
Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:28 am
I was thinking the same thing.. I just hit 80 (slow leveler, RL stuff) and so far theres another paladin tank in my guild who is giving a bad rep for paladins.

He fails horribly. The GM says we need a warrior MT and has been recruiting.

The guy is so bad he has 2 points in imp Judgement. His TPS is around 1600 in full Naxx10 and 25 gear. He's not even at 540 defense. He cant keep his GCD's in check, holy shield always falls off.

He's so bad, guildys offered to level my toon for me- they wound up paying my girlfriend gold to level while i was at work and school.

People like him make Guild leaders think they still need a warrior.
_________________
2ndNin
Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:44 am
Thats just a bad thank Vschiano, simply holy shield isn't necessary in Naxx, but you should be keeping it up to make the healing easier (and keeping Sacred shield up). After about 30% of the fight, your threat is no longer an issue at this time, that means your main concern is keeping yourself and potentially others alive (if you don't need to make threat, you can put sacred shields out where needed for example).

Our cooldown structure on non-movement bosses is stupidly easy, and can be macro'd to 2 buttons... failing at it is hard.
_________________
Armoury Link