Skip to content
Maintankadin

Threat Generation and Bear Tanks

Falibard
Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:04 am

Threat Generation and Bear Tanks

We were doing Patchwerk last night and all of a sudden the bear tank that was taking the hatefuls randomily passes me in threat and the raid wipes. To give you an idea:

me -------------------------- (5-6k~ tps)
bear ------------------- (4k~ tps)
etc ------
etc ----
etc ----
etc ---

Split second (wipe):

bear ------------------------------------------------- (10k~ tps)
me ----------------------------- (5-6k~ tps)

After that happened I said, "did you taunt or something?" he said, "no. my threat just does that". Confused

The second attempt I took hatefuls and was still doing 5k~ tps, almost passing him at a point, then bam! 300k threat lead. Is this some kind of bug or ability I don't know about? I've never seen something like this happen before.
Elsie
Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:08 am
I took threat from a warrior who I gave a 15 second head start on sartharion. With about 6 abilities. Threat is kinda wonky right now, and omen isn't finalized at all.

However, he probably fatfingered taunt and didn't notice or want to admit it. He -can- get a lot of burst threat with mother bear and stuff, but nothing you shouldn't have a good lead over after a minute or using wings at the same time. Remember you can blow wings at the start of Patchwerk safely.
Falibard
Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:15 am
My thought was the old fat finger too, but I was very surprised to see something similar happen when I was OT. Bam 300k threat seems very strange.

I shall google this "mother bear" thingy.
towelliee
Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:18 am
I can't imagine anyone passing us in threat....unless they taunted. I mean Paladin in tanking blues can push out 4k or so, I do 5-6k normal with 7k spikes on most fights.
_________________
Eroslight
Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:14 am
It could have been a bug that I have noticed in the new Naxx. Seems based around the whole patchwerk construct wing. One of my pally tanks the other day did a ShoR crit for *65K* while doing Gothik, I did a crit HoR on patchwerk for over 55K. A warrior shockwaved for 40K on a couple mobs. It just seems like the dice just freak out and add digits to the damage done or something. Its very likely that could have happened.

Also seems like there are a couple of bugs in all of naxx/raids:
If a DK summons a ghoul from a dead player while getting rezzed it will not allow that player to accept a rez for the rest of the night (lets just say no lock and the raid is past the patchwerk oozes - wiping on patchwerk....)

LOSing mobs doesn't work in the DK wing.

D&D glyphed causes the dragonkin trash in satharion to run away.

and a couple others I didn't notice.
Rorshach
Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:30 am
I often need to take RF off when I am OT because I have learned, and so has my raid unfortunately, that I can too easily pull threat from our warrior and druid tanks if they are MT'ing and I am OT or prot DPS. And this is me not putting anything special into my rotation or trying to beat them. It's usually a regular 'eating food/drinking/reading something else while hitting buttons' type OT half-afk mode.

Last night I was typing a whisper to another raid member while DPS'ing on Sapphiron, pulled threat while typing, didn't notice because I was trying to correct a spelling error in my whisper and almost wiped the raid. Luckily only me and 2 warlocks died Sad
_________________
Armory
Guild
Sarcasm: it's a lifestyle
Steve
Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:04 pm
Patchwerk hateful strikes grant the bonus threat to the top 2 players on the threat table (in 10s) and top 3 (in 25s). The person struck isn't the only person gaining threat. You can confirm this via omen.

If an OT is out-threating the MT, it's because they generate more threat either by virtue of being a superior player or by virtue of having the superior threat class.

Edit: This is all, of course, not including the effect of some crazy bugs that can happen in that wing in regards to massively high (50k-200K+) hits.