Skip to content
Maintankadin

Professions

Isean
Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Professions

Ok...I went JC in TBC because it had a few great trinkets and the guild needed one, and I liked cutting my own gems...but as a miner/JC...im wondering if WotLK has better professions for me. I plan to keep mining, its a great source of money, so JC is what im looking at. For a tankadin, whats the popular opinion on BS, engineerin, or JC? What could I see most tank-related benifit from?
_________________
HinataDestiny
Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:26 pm
JC definitely has its perks with the new trinkets and all the new BoP gems. Blacksmithing you get the benefit of being able to add sockets to certain pieces of gear (Bracers and Belt, more I know but cant remember), Engineer has the benefit of the nice helms as well as the Mote Extractor which makes gathering Eternals much easier. All in all they are have their benefits and let-backs but the real quest is are you willing to lvl 350 tradeskill levels just to start into the new items for WotLK
_________________
Hinata of Crit Happens - 80 - Arygos
Taylia
Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:09 am
Right now, BS has the most benefit to a tank, as most of the tank gear you'll want to become raid-ready is BS crafted. The good news is, all the BS crafted gear is BoE. So if you get the mats together, you can have someone else just make it for you. BS really doesn't have a ton going for it in the way of BoP stuff. Some extra gem slots is all I know about.

Engineering is considered pretty subpar for tanks right now, hoping that'll pick up soon cause right now, it's not worth the grind, in my opinion.

JC on the other hand, has some very nice BoP gems. For comparison - the highest BoE +stam gem is +24. The BoP JC only Stam gem is +41. Plus, JC gets a good few BoP trinkets to choose from, with 2 being very good stamina trinkets for tanks.

I love JC right now, wouldn't trade it for anything. And with the benefit it provides, plus you having already ground out a good chunk of it, might wanna stick with it.
Majiben
Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:35 am
JC might be the Strongest profession for a tank in WotLK. All the JC only gems are Unique (3) meaning you can any three in your gear (even the same one three times). Throw in that JC allows you to snag otherwise forsaken socket bonuses, and JC is a very strong profession.

The trinkets aren't anything to scoff at either.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
phaqueue
Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:07 am
I went JC for wrath on my pally... and have not regretted it yet...

completely worth it - my suggestion - don't sell the ore - check prices on cut gems and uncut blue gems and sell them instead...

on my server... most "perfect" cuts are selling for 20-30g depending on the cut, and the regular cuts seem to be around 5-10g per (more for some popular ones)

blue gems vary based on the gem... but Monarch Topaz have been sitting around 100g for a while now...

all in all - with the BoP trinkets, the JC only gems, and the money you can make cutting gems... completely worth keeping JC - gems are something people will ALWAYS need... you will never stop being able to sell your services... unlike when people finally level past the BS gear... people are always getting upgrades and needing new gems for that gear...

best prof to have IMO
Petrus
Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:19 am
I'd stick with JC - it's VERY strong right now and I'd love to be a JC, but I picked engineering instead so I'm going to stick with it.
_________________
vschiano2008
Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:11 am
i had 1 free profession to complement my enchanting.

1 week before Wotlk release, i rolled Miner. I mined my way up to 300+, then dropped it, and was basicalyl able to get to 350 JC, plus about 500g investment.

WoTLK comes out, and i continue working on JC.

I have always had gold issue, being a hardcore raider with little time to farm or do dailys.

in 4 days, i've made about 4000g. I cant believe im actually going to get an epic flier!

JC++++++

BTW my guild leader is a JC (since BC) and hes about 40k and a mammoth mount atm. He does not do his dailys.
_________________
Windchaser
Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:03 pm
Been trying to figure out what I want to do with my Paladin's profession. I have high mining and wanting to keep that and I was an Engineer, but I dropped it.

Just trying to decide between JC or BSing at this point. So torn! Very Happy
_________________
Rorshach
Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:18 pm
Right now, the JC-only stam gems will benefit you more.
(41-24)x3=51 extra stamina > 500 health by about 71 health, rounded.

Once epic gems are available you will get a greater health benefit from mining than you do from the extra stamina your three JC-only stam gems would give you over the epic +30 stam gems (once they come out).
(41-30)x3=33 extra stamina < 500 health by about 131 health, rounded.

IMO if you are not in it for the gold then Blacksmithing/Mining is the way to go, 2 extra sockets (for 60 stamina if you use two epic gems) and 500 flat health. Once epic gems come out (do we have to wait for Ulduar to see them?) enjoy Very Happy

Plus mining is easily a very steady source of income.
_________________
Armory
Guild
Sarcasm: it's a lifestyle
Rorshach
Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:38 pm
I get all my socket bonuses just fine, and will continue to do so as I upgrade my gear.

I am currently sitting at 26334 unbuffed health at 540 defense and block-capped. All stam all the time for gems isn't my preferred method so I do throw some dodge/strength in there as well.

Well, I will throw strength/stam gems in for my red sockets as soon as someone on my server finds it, which no one has yet. For now I have to settle for defense/stam or parry/stam or dodge/stam to make my meta requirements.
_________________
Armory
Guild
Sarcasm: it's a lifestyle
arilink
Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:32 am
Leatherworking: +90 Stamina on Bracers (just owns).
Blacksmithing: 2x +30 Stamina due to 2 extra sockets (requires epic gems).
Enchanting: 2x +24 Stamina on Rings.
Jewelcrafting: 3x +41 Stamina Gems (epics gems: +30 Stamina) + probably socket bonuses.
Mining: +500 Health.
Inscription: +52 Dodge, +15 Defense on shoulders (tbc scryers: +10 Dodge, +15 Defense. Sons of Hodir exalted: +20 Dodge, +15 Defense).
This is just a brief overview.

Personally I got Enchanting and just dropped Engineering in favor for Leatherworking.

To the topic above:
With Strength (red), Defense (yellow) and Stamina (blue) I think getting a socket bonus isn't the hardest thing to do.
Panzerdin
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:39 am
I'd have to say BS/JC. Sockets, sockets, MORE DAMN SOCKETS! And things to put in them. You just can't go wrong.