Skip to content
Maintankadin

Ret pally cast rotation

Brute
Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:22 am

Ret pally cast rotation

20 sec: DS, CS, Judge, Cons, CS, DS, Judge, CS, Cons

6 sec major attacks (Judge, CS, DS) off cooldown in the second and all subsequent cycles, 5 seconds w/ 1/2 imp judgments.

This rotation prioritizes DS > Judge > CS with Consecrates thrown in on breaks. You only need 1/2 points in Imp. Judge to make this work.

41 sec: DS, CS, Judge, Cons, CS, DS, Judge, CS, Cons,
Judge, DS, CS, Cons, Judge, CS, DS, Cons, CS, Judge

7 sec major attacks off cooldown in the second and all subsequent cycles.

This rotation prioritizes Judge > DS > CS with Consecrates thrown in on breaks. You need 2/2 in Imp. Judge for this one.

Which cycle is the better, and if there's one that's even better, what is it? I realize this is a prot pally forum but I know a lot of people like ret and its the only forum I can access from work. Has this already been discussed to death somewhere?
_________________
[url http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Uther&n=Brute /url]
Lore
Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:39 am
DS > all unless you really need the mana faster.

4-piece T7 bonus is eventually a factor as well I think, you can get down to a 7-second cooldown on Judgements with it.
_________________
Station wagons are my favorite things.
Guillex
Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:25 am
I was opening with Judgement, then CS->DS->Consecrate ... basically following the maxdps.com cycle ... There were a couple of overlaps, but I was prioritizing judgement over others, for the SoC damage/crits.
_________________
Póg mo thóin

Ashmadai
Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:44 am
As a guy who has been playing pretty much nothing but Ret since 3.0, I can tell you right now there is basically no rotation for Ret anymore. Everything cools down in even numbers and the overlap is pretty bad. Once you realize you just have to prioritize then it gets a lot less stressful.

Single target:

JoBlood -> Crusader Strike -> Divine Storm -> Consecrate

Two to 4 Targets:

Divine Storm -> Judgement -> Crusader Strike -> Consecrate

5+ Targets:

Divine Storm -> Consecrate -> Judgement -> Crusader Strike

This works at all times. Judgement of Blood is by far the hardest hitter you have. With nothing but BoM on I crit for nearly 5k on the regular, and it crits more often than everything else on top of that.

That's not to say that a rotation like you mentioned in the first post doesn't work quite well, but with the ridiculous DPS I do, I am fine with working the way I have been. =)
_________________
Lore
Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:55 am
Yeah JoB will generally be worth the most damage. DS is a close second - with two-piece T7 bonus and the seal proc it can do just as much damage as a JoB (it just doesn't have as high of a crit chance).
_________________
Station wagons are my favorite things.
d3licious
Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:36 am
Correct me if my thinking is wrong, but with the advent of righteous vengeance now affecting mobs damage taken, would that not prioritize your rotation? Judgement and DS both being the skills used to keep RV up, wouldnt putting them back to back be a bad thing to do? This is of course if either of them crit, then I would assume its more beneficial to lay down CS or Conc, followed by either Judg or DS depending on which you started with. While a ret paladins crit chance is so high already especially judgement, RV might be up most of the time anyways, but many times I found myself with changing my rotation slightly depending on the crits of JM and DS. And this of course only applies if two skills were ever on CD and I had an option, which happens on occasion.

This is just a thought and I could be totally off base here, but it seemed to me keeping RV up would be of the highest priority. Anyways, just shoot me down if im wrong.
_________________

Snake-Aes
Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:14 pm
Facebang > faceroll
_________________
Death Spacegoat and Spankadin in development.
Spreading Holy Protection and Diseases since 2008.
d3licious
Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:08 pm
A rotation that staggers judge and DS could (could being a key word here) slighly increase the uptime of RV. Also it has slipped my mind if DS has a chance to crit for each target in vicinity or if it crits, then it hits all enemies with crits. If the prior then I would be curious in certain situations if people change targets depending on the DS crit in multi mob pulls. The situation where that would be feasible is pretty much restricted to soloing or in a situation where the tank is capable of tanking all mobs without worry of dying or aggro loss, in the end though it would increase your overall DPS to focus only on mobs affected with RV.
_________________

Elsie
Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:44 pm
In general, there is no set rotation for retribution. For stats, you stack Hit rating to 295 (or 296, I forget) and then strength and then crit rating.

If your CDs come into conflict, you want to prioritize Hammer of Wrath > Judgment > Crusader Strike > Divine Storm

If 0 lag ever existed, you would prioritize Divine Storm over Crusader Strike. However, this is impossible. Since Crusader Strike is 6s, it's better to prioritize as the ability will be up again sooner and you'll gain, overall, more damage. There's at least four pages on explaining this over at elitistjerks.

So basically ignore Lore's advice.