Skip to content
Maintankadin

Why Do People Still Quote...

PearlMan
Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:51 pm

Why Do People Still Quote...

...the whole uncrushable thing? Last I checked, crushing blows were removed from the game for any mobs that were 3 levels ahead of you. Only mobs that are 4+ levels ahead of you can still crush and that is only to dissuade people from taking on content that is too far ahead of them.

It seems every time a mitigation or avoidance conversation comes up (http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=16716&sid=1ef49163be800d4fffbdabb4d0dbcb32 for instance), people bring up 102.4% again.

I mean I guess being unhittable is nice, but with no more crushing blows to worry about, isn't general balance a better goal to achieve? Maybe a vast amount of people didn't catch on to the crushing blow change. Maybe I need to be enlightened about "what the big deal is".

(For the record, I do know perfectly well why Crushing Blows are evil and should be avoided).
Fizzgig
Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:57 pm
Especially when you will end up seeing buffed block values near 2,000. Thats a lot of damage if you're doing that guaranteed on every non avoided hit.
_________________
PearlMan
Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:00 pm
Right on, I get that aspect of it...but people are seemingly pushing for it stupidly and adding avoidance as if there is some penalty. I would argue that before, you *NEEDED* to be uncrushable to remove that random damage (much like you *NEEDED* to be uncrittable).

But I guess its mind boggling that a lot of people haven't caught on. I've had warriors ask me if I was uncrushable the other day to which I answered, "Yes...even when naked."
Majiben
Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:00 pm
Not being block capped (what we are calling 102.4% these days) won't kill you anymore but being capped will extend your life quite a bit now that we block 10-20% of a hit now having block we can count on all the time extends our EH by several times our BV.

It's a good goal to have in mind but not needed to start raiding.
_________________
I made a port to exodar. My friend proceeds to MD Alar onto the AFK tank, and we both run. People ran with us, until the port, and realised it was to exodar. Only three of us went through. Turns out people would rather die than go to exodar. -Infurnus
PearlMan
Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:05 pm
heh, I guess I'm calming down.

Indeed, with all the changes our expected life/health value has increased greatly. Generally speaking just getting close to that point is nice but I know a ton of people took a big hit to their crittability status with losing the 20 Defense points. I know its not a factor for T6+ gear (unless you're using trinkets).

Anyway, cheerio!
Knaughty
Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:14 pm
Frequently Asked Question (twice by you) is Frequently Answered Question.

@ block cap, BV = EH, and counts as a BV sized heal every hit.

Gear priority is:
(1) Uncrit
(2) Block Cap (within reason - you prob won't have it to start Naxx-10)
(3) Stack stats.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty
Naxx-25 15/15 pre-buff
Knaughty
Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:16 pm
I need to check my FAQ and make sure I'm explaining this bit right... gets asked a lot.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty
Naxx-25 15/15 pre-buff
Elsie
Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:00 pm
Basically every hit is a crush now. That is, every hit is very hard.

Block values are much higher, so if we block every hit, we take off a proportionate sum. Hence "uncrushable" now implies "no burst" much like how it has always functioned.

And this "flavor" is unique solely to paladins since we are the only ones maintaining it, though I expect druids to be similar due to armor.
agnara
Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:44 am
Just look at it in terms of how big of a damage spike it is. When we had crushing blows the damage of a crush was about 150% of the damage on a blocked hit (blocked maybe 5% of the hit). mostly because we had quite low block value. Now that we are getting quite a lot of block value a blocked hit would only be about 80% of a normal hit, and if you don't block we would get hit for 100%

With crushes
blocked_____normal hit_________crush
95%________100%____________150%

A crush would do 1,57 times as much damage as a blocked hit.

Without crushes (20% block)
blocked_____normal hit
80%________100%

A hit would do 1,25 times as much as a blocked hit.


If we look at it while blocking a highter% of the hit, it would be an even bigger spike.

Without crushes (25% block)
blocked_____normal hit
75%________100%

A hit would do 1,33 times as much as a blocked hit.


Without crushes (30% block)
blocked_____normal hit
70%________100%

A hit would do 1,43 times as much as a blocked hit. Getting quite close to crushes here, aren't we Razz
_________________

I think I might be addicted to BV
inthedrops
Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:24 am
I don't understand why people consider 102.4 a block cap. It's not like they replaced crushes on the attack table with "nothing"....did thay?. I'm assuming crushes were replaced with normal hits (just like non boss mobs always had regular hit there instead of crushing blows). If that assumption is true then you're not blocking or avoiding every hit on a level 73 boss with 102.4% avoidance with holy shield up like you used to. Some hits are going to get through.

Or am I just having a major brain fart?

Sadly I suspect my brain is fried. I have this recollection of normal (level 70) mobs still being able to hit you even with holy shield up but I can't rectify this in my brain Smile
_________________