Skip to content
Maintankadin

Shield Enchant

Brickhouse
Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:32 pm

Shield Enchant

Back in the early days, when we were quite ..well, we were not as good as we are now, and we had to be "uncrushable," the +15 shield Block RATING enchant on a shield was pretty nice.

Now, since that - at least for me - has not be much of an issue, I have always just slapped on the +18 stamina enchant on shields, as i picked them up.

today, I am curious, since I got a nice shield, what is the best enchant to slap on a shield?? Still +18 stamina?

Shield block Rating is, what, another 200 or so health? I know, a few enchants/gems, and you got an extra 1,000 health. But, really, what is that? One weak hit?

Shield block rating will give another 2.5% shield block? Not much either, I admit.

Then, there is the +18 shield block VALUE "tough shield" enchant, that adds +18 to every block. Again, not earth shattering.


I am a fairly casual player these days, but try to get into random raids when I can. What are the heavyweight tanks using?

I have the mats for any of these enchants, and the +18 stamina enchant (well, I already slapped it on) is quite cheap.

My question, in the end is this:

Does Shield Block in any way affect our aggro? For example, if we block MORE we get more aggro? Or, is it simply and plainly mitigation?

Thanks for your insight.

brickhouse

Reading up some, I came across a notion I am not as of yet familiar with: EH - or, after I googled around for it, Effective Health.

What does this mean to a tanking paladin, can someone link me somewhere? I will keep googling^^
Majiben
Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:33 pm
I would only suggest BR post 3.0 if it was was the difference between blocking all hits and letting some through. That and possibly an aoe tanking set.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Majiben
Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:25 pm
BoSanc provides no threat as of 3.0

Additionally, +18 stamina is more EH than BV till you take less than 1.3k per hit (for someone with 14k HP).
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Anuji
Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:58 am
i'd stick with the 18sta..
i mean common... 3 shields?!

if you're the "trash-"tank i'd probably stick with BV over Sta okay... but for Raiding? i'm using the same Shield the whole time im in the Raid.. on bosses and on trash also.

the Trash doesn't hit so damn hard that my healers can't take it and for bosses i've ever taken 18sta over those relatives, can't see why i shouldn't..

and for the thing with those 3 shields... please not in progression tanking.... okay if nobody needs it.. okay.. but not if you take it cuz u need your 3rd shield for retarted trash ^^


and fpr soloing? Nothing is better than that nasty Sporeggar Shield w/ a Spike on it Wink
_________________

http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackrock&n=Anuji
Hope it's understandable what i'm sayin' Very Happy
vschiano2008
Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:50 am
FWIW- i never put anything except an 18 stam enchant on any shield..

maybe because its the only shield enchant i can do myself, but still.

cheap mats, about 200 health, nothing out of the ordinary. it's a pretty basic thing- i'd go with the stam unless for some reason you feel that you REALLY NEED the BR or BV, or more aoe dmg with a spike.
æ
Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:24 pm
[post cleared for hostility]

[Do NOT bring that kind of attitude to these forums. You were warned once already. -Mortehl]
gibborim
Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:38 am
[Unneeded content edited out. -Mortehl]

voitstarr
Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:13 pm
stam > BV imho.

stam= threat through talents=spellpower for having to off heal if needed etc Very Happy
_________________
Frickit
Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:23 am
not starving for threat has nothing to do with picking mobs up quickly especially with all the AoE tanking going on in the nerfed bt/mh...it never hurts to have a bigger tick on consecration or w/e. Anytime at all that I can increase threat without sacrificing survivability I go for it whether or not I need it all the time.

I dont think saying that the quote above with my name on it is in fact NOT my quote is uneeded content...tyvm


[Unneeded content edited out. -Mortehl]
_________________