Skip to content
Maintankadin

Deep Dive on Stats for a Mag Encounter

Coristad
Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:00 am

Deep Dive on Stats for a Mag Encounter

Hi all,

My guild recently went into Mag's lair. Our raid leader used WoW web stats and collected a ton of useful data. The problem, from my perspective, is doing the analysis and understanding what I need to do to fix some things. My GL is supportive of my tanking, but I know I'm not doing as good of a job as I could do. I don't have anyone in the guild I can crunch with, so I'd like some input from some more senior tankadins.

First, the caveats:

1. I may or may not be logged out with tanking gear. Raid buffed for the encounter I had 14K health, 14.5K armor, 490 Defense.
2. Our raid was collectively undergeared, which we acknowledged. I myself am not uncrushable (3 badges away arrrgh). I'm less worried about the damage in portion of the report versus the dame out portion.

Now the report:
http://www.lossendil.com/wws/?report=vhzwr5pooqlvy&a=15

Now the head scratching parts:

1. White damage was 25% of my total, and the largest single source. I missed 24.6% of the time <!>. Of the 380 Hits, 87 were from reckoning. Yet Seal of Righteousness only hit 205 times with a miss rate of 19.2%. That's effectively 1 in 5. What's up with that?

2. Holy Shield was only 11% of my damage but if I did the math right x2.35 = 25.85% of my threat.

I'm still trying to pick out useful information, but I wanted to throw this out there. I'd love some constructive suggestions on what conclusions to draw from this data, if any.

Thanks!
_________________
jere
Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:01 am
Holy Shield does indeed get resisted. I see it in my logs all the time when tanking prince. It is always a full resist..I have seen no partial resists yet.
_________________
adese
Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:01 am
I stand corrected, then. I've never really looked to see if it does get resisted or not, but since I've never seen a "Resist" scroll past on my screen when a Holy Shield charge gets used, I just assumed it wasn't possible. I guess I just wasn't looking closely enough.
_________________
jere
Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:35 am
Just as an example, I looked at a log from one of my previous Prince kills. I found 12 instances of:

"Prince Malchezaar resists your Holy Shield"
_________________
Coristad
Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:00 am
More strangeness datamined from the fight... I'd appreciate some perspective from the experienced tanks on this one. This is also cross posted from my guild's warrior class forum--I'll be curious as to what their response is.

So I'm digging through the charts from our last Mag learning raid, looking for points of weakness that I could change to stop Daigan (GL, prot warrior) from his litany of "Oh, looks like Coristad is dead." I was looking at warrior stats and druid stats, to see if there was anything I could glean from them (realizing that my tanking style is closer to a warrior's than a bear's). I expected to see the warriors mitigating or avoiding a large number of attacks, and no crushes. I was expecting to see the bears getting crushed at a reasonably constant rate, but also having relatively high dodge values. Like I said, I, and the majority of tankadins, are pretty obsessed with achieving and maintaining uncrushability- it's one of our major benchmarks to compare against the more established tanking classes.

Here's what I saw (apologies for the formatting):

Ills
Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:03 am
13% CB rate? Sounds like your warriors seldom have shield block up.

Taking CBs adds to the spike damage that the tanks are taking, making them harder to heal (and eats up more mana).
_________________
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
jere
Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:27 am
I looked at Daigon specifically. He buffs himself with Shield Block 2 times the entire night. Now many will argue that due to the cooldown < duration, you won't see refreshes in the combat log. Fair enough, but if you look closer, the 2 times that it appears in the combat log are for Attempt 5 and Attempt 6, which means for the trash (which can crush -- he was 14 times) and attempts 1-4, he never used Shield Block at all.

Furthermore, on attempts 5 and 6, he received 9-10 crushes, indicating Shield Block was down for some part of the time, so we should have seen more than one buff gain from shield block in both of those attempts. We only see one for each of those 2 attempts.

In short Daigon isn't doing his job if he is tanking. He doesn't even use it until attempts 5 and 6, and there he apparently isn't using it much as he recieves multiple crushes but only buffs it once (refreshes won't show, but if he gets crushed, then it isn't a refresh, but a buff gain).

Which channeler did each tank have again?
_________________