Skip to content
Maintankadin

DPS-as-tank

mclem
Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:53 am

DPS-as-tank

Has anyone done any investigation into a tankadin's best DPS rotation come 3.0 and later Wrath? I'm looking into swapping to DPS when my mob is down rather than my current default of healing, but I'd need to do some work to pick out what's best for someone with a fairly standard tank spec.

On a similar note: 2h or 1h+shield? While ordinarily the 2h makes sense, the 1h would allow HotR (and ShoR past L75), which I suspect might push the numbers up higher than just plugging away with a really big sword.
Zx
Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:10 am
Also have to factor in 1HWS for extra damage while doing sword and board.
_________________
blkthunder
Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:14 am
with a +spell dmg off hand?
_________________
Egtheridon
Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:32 pm
I did some testing keeping all my gear other than my weapon/shield. If you are between fights and the next fight requires one tank and there are no healers problems, just equip a full set of ret gear except your weapon/offhand and you would do more dps than a two hander (suneater,Aldori legacy defender vs blade of harbingers).

I did 450ish dps with two hander 600dps with shield/sword combo. 32 percent damage, hammer of the righteous, 31 percent melee, 16 percent concecration aura, 10 percent judgements, 5 percent avenging shield(extras were sunwell necklace proc), I had to use seal of wisdom/judgement of wisdom to keep my mana up.

Even with a melee weapon seal of righteousness still hits harder but without seal of wisdom mana issues start showing up pretty early.

on a further note, if you are in a boss fight with three mobs that are relatively near eachother, your dps should increase pretty significantly due to hammer of righteous which does equal damage to three targets(in the current situation, with 600dps, 31 percent being hammer to 1k, and concecrate doing 16, approx 90dps*2=180, approx 1180 dps) also with hammer of the righteous able to proc your seal of wisdom, all mana issues are taken care of, to test this out I dpsed the four practice dummies in orgrimmar, making sure all four where in my concecrate and i was hitting three with hammer, I averaged 1.6k dps.

While not many boss fights have those kind of situations, at the very least if your are not needed to tank trash, and healing isn't a problem i'd definately reccomend dpsing using a melee main hand,shield over a two hander.

Even in tank gear i'd say the same rules apply, with the difference being a lesser amount of dps.
_________________
Paladin/70/Rivendare
Faeth
Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:01 am
Not terribly sure how accurate this is, but from what i tried:

Scenario:

- I tested dps on a test dummie in the stormwind barracks.
- I put on my retri gear
- I kept using my 1-hander and shield
- i believe i had about 2100 attackpower and 27 % crit chance.
- I used Recount which i gotten per the WoW-insider website that claims it's patch 3.0 compatible and put it on DPS mode.
- i used the spells : SotMartyr, JoW, HotR, AS, Consecrate
- Talent spec is full Prot...No reckoning

It seems i was able to pull it off quite well. Due to HP lost by using SotM i'd gain mana back thru SA. In a raid environment i'd also gain mana from replenishment. Currently i believe this might be enough to not go OOM, but worst case i could switch to using SoW and get mana back quite fast.

i don't intend to tell people what to do or to provide a very solid picture. In fact it's pretty sketchy.

However, my current conclusion is that without any helping heals from others i was able to do about 1300 sustained dps using the abilities mentioned above. This was without using any kind of buff (also didn't use BoM).

This didn't seem bad at all considering. I'll soon try it out with the help of replenishment, heals and buffs to see howmuch i can dish out raidbuffed.
_________________
vschiano2008
Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:36 am
In za last night on eagle boss, i hopped into my ret gear- first i used a 2h, then switched it up to 1h+ shield.

1h+shield is better for DPS-as prot